Ranger's Osteo-amputee Journey

Guest RSD_Ranger

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try and stay on top of the pain and give him the pain meds even if he doesn't seem like he needs them. By the time he is in pain, it's harder to get a handle on it.

how many days post op is he now?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest RSD_Ranger

Called the vet back and made a nuisance of myself. Seems like the surgeon on-call was cool with it. His response was, "If someone had just cut my leg off, I'd want everything and the kitchen sink." We are upping his tramadol to 2-1/2 pill (125mg) 3x/day. He was previously on 2 pills (100mg) 2x/day. This will hopefully keep it under control.

If he is not better by tomorrow, we are packing him in the car and going back for another fentanyl patch. I stupidly asked if that was something that could be called in to Walgreens. Um ... no. I guess it's a controlled narcotic. Silly me! It's those marbles!!!

Sending more healing thoughts to Ranger.

*Hugs*

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest RSD_Ranger

Just read the 25-page prescribing information on the FDA website. It's a bad side-effect of doing PI design for Abbott labs ;)

I was happy to see that the pain relieving effect can take place within an hour, with peak analgesia in 2-3 hours. That made me feel better ... he has stopped shaking and is sleeping now. Hopefully this will be a restful sleep and it will last for a couple of hours. Note to self: who cares when they tell you take the fentanyl patch off -- keep that sucker on until it falls off. That thing was doing WAAAAY more than I gave it credit for!

Just catching up. Ranger, it's absolutely wonderful that you're home and I'm sorry Mom had to fuss with that stupid tape around your butt! Yuk! Anyway, there ought to be a universal sign for "drugs, Mom! give me drugs!" Luv, luv, LUV the comment by the Vet - me, too! You want to chop off my leg? You better give an arsenal of drugs! Note to self - leave the Fentanyl patch on, like forever! Many prayers going to you, DH and Ranger! He sounds like a special guy!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest RSD_Ranger

FYI: it took about 1-1/2 hours before the tramadol started kicking in. He is FINALLY breathing deeply and hopefully will get some good deep healing sleep.

This is going to give me grey hair!

Big hugs.

What an amazing dog mom you are.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Called the vet back and made a nuisance of myself. Seems like the surgeon on-call was cool with it. His response was, "If someone had just cut my leg off, I'd want everything and the kitchen sink." We are upping his tramadol to 2-1/2 pill (125mg) 3x/day. He was previously on 2 pills (100mg) 2x/day. This will hopefully keep it under control.

If he is not better by tomorrow, we are packing him in the car and going back for another fentanyl patch. I stupidly asked if that was something that could be called in to Walgreens. Um ... no. I guess it's a controlled narcotic. Silly me! It's those marbles!!!

I don't know what his weight is, but after Polli's amp she was 53 lbs and was on 100mg of tramadol every 4 hours, but she had no patch whereas - I think you said Ranger did???

Anyway, sounds like he is more comfortable.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

All you need is a paper script to take to the pharmacy if you don't want to take Ranger out.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE:

Well, last night was truly awful. He was crying out in pain periodically, pacing, panting, shaking. We made sure he had his meds at the exact time he could so that nothing could wear off. As soon as we got up, we loaded him into the car (they would not allow us to pick up a fentanyl patch, allow it to be called into anywhere, etc. --we HAD to bring him in for application to his body) and headed off to the vet.

They were awesome! They saw us right away so he didn't have to wait in the waiting area; did not charge us for any doctor time (we only paid for the patch); and were able to remove the rest of the adhesive tape with some magical goo remover for dogs. He did pretty well on the car ride to/from. And we got to see our lovable friend-maker in action: as we were leaving the vet, some other dogs were coming in and he made sure to welcome them with a butt-sniff and a handshake. OK, maybe he skipped the handshake, but he was still Mr Friendly. He did leave a big pile of D in the vet dog potty area, so the pain/stress has definitely gotten to him.

He is still eating really well and has resumed drinking again. I think the pain just took away everything yesterday and I feel we are back on the good track we were on originally.

My family is going to stop by tomorrow for a brief visit, so that will be good (for all of our marbles!!)

Let's hope this is just a brief bump in the road to recovery :)

Guest ChasesMum

poor dude. I believe I remember giving George 150mg every 6 hours? for a max of 3 days I was told. He was 80+ lbs.

I would ask about giving a lower dose more often rather than just upping the dose. is he on Metacam or another like drug? He likely should be.

George had no fentanyl patch as he reacted poorly to the one he had before his amp.

continuing to send healing thoughts and prayers Ranger's way, Kristen!!!!! :hope :hope :hope:bighug :bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Wishing Ranger pain free thoughts and speedy healing and his mum a bucket full of marbles for Christmas :P It is awful isn't watching them in pain and desperately trying to fix it.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

FYI: it took about 1-1/2 hours before the tramadol started kicking in. He is FINALLY breathing deeply and hopefully will get some good deep healing sleep.

This is going to give me grey hair!

Kristen, wear the grey hair with pride!!!! And remember, it's a sign of wisdom. :lol We've got you and Ranger tucked in our prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest EmbersDad

good to hear ranger is making some progress. it does get better, trust me. ember can run, and run well. she is now back to our full walk we used to do, albeit not as fast, and with a lot of sniffing breaks, but she is doing it. not too shabby for an 11 year old. like polli, she is missing her left front leg and does hold the right one in the middle for balance. i wish i would have know about the mineral oil gimmick for embers fentanyl patch....

Those bumps in the road are rattling, though, aren't they?

Sending more :grouphug to you and DH and healing thoughts to Ranger :candle

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE:

Well, I think we've created a "drunk" dog. He is now so doped up he's kind of doddering. He just stares into space and kind of nods his head a bit. He still has moments (though less) when he cries out in pain, so it's hard to know if the doped up is good or bad. It's really hard to watch.

Did anyone else have their dog on so many meds that they seemed really out of it? I mean he can still get up and eat/drink. He just looks like he's had that one-too-many beer and he's "that drunk guy" over in the corner of the sofa just staring at his beer bottle.

Thanks for all of you who have been here before reminding me that it gets better. This is just a phase we have to go through to get to the other side. I finally sat down and designed our Christmas cards. I just couldn't bring myself to mention why they were late. Instead I put a picture of Ranger at the Reindog Parade wearing his snood :) He looks like a million bucks!

While looking for a background photo for the Christmas cards, I searched for greyhound thinking I might get an illustration to place in the corner. Surprisingly enough, I actually came across a picture of Ranger in his snood on the site!!! He had a lot of photos taken by professional photographers that day. Glad to see he is making the rounds of spreading joy through the internet!

Ranger at the Reindog Parade 2008

Hoping he's having a good (if somewhat drunk) Christmas. Best wishes for smoother days ahead!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.