Eliza

Burpdog

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eleven years and I still cry. Because it was my fault. Although it hurts when you lose any of them for whatever reason, when it's your fault, it is overwhelming.

Quoting myself:

Be aware of the side effects of all NSAIDs. Make sure you receive a product insert. Make sure blood work is done before starting on them (for instance, this is Pfizer's protocol regarding rimadyl--not mine!) and at two weeks (yes, two weeks--had that been done, I believe Eliza could have been saved), then every 6 weeks. Make sure platelets are checked in addition to kidney & liver function.

Do not treat these drugs lightly--there is a reason that death was added as a side effect! I say this because I have noticed that many people pop NSAIDs into their pets like we take aspirin or ibuprofen. There is a reason the drug companies say "do blood work before dispensing". Listen to your vet if he/she recommends blood work, and if he/she does not do blood work, request it!

As another thought/opinion: if you have to use a NSAID, don't do the shot, especially post op. Once it's given, you cannot take it back. If your dog has an adverse reaction to the drug, at least on the pills you can stop them and have some chance of recovery. Get those product inserts -- insist on them. Know what to look for as a side effect. Many vets do not know that kidney impairment can be a side effect of NSAIDs. <very big sigh and many tears>

I love you Eliza and I still cannot wait to hug you and see that big smile. It's the only thing that will heal my heart.

Hope you have many ferns in Rainbow Land

355ElizatrGT.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

{{{{{{{{{{Diane}}}}}}}}}}

When one of those sudden winds comes up and pulls some leaves from the trees? That's your Eliza in the ferns, letting you know she's thinking of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hugs to you Diane.

We make the best decisions we can at the time with the information we have.

Eliza was loved and knew it.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest IrskasMom

:grouphug Diane :grouphug you made me cry . I feel your Pain, you got to forgive yourself . You would not belief ,

if there is anything on H & M , I wait until you Diane and Batmom has posted , to give it any validity , the same goes

for RobinM , you know your stuff.This was then and you know better now , be kind to yourself :bighug

:candle:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Diane, you know how clearly this speaks to me, for your own tragic loss, and after Jaynie and Metacam post-op. Never again. And without your shared experience I might have continued to give it to her orally as prescribed, instead of Tramadol which I luckily had on hand.

We don't know for sure if Metacam is what sent Jaynie into acute kidney failure. But if the tick panel comes back clear, and the lepto retest isn't positive, there isn't going to be much else to point at.

The lessons we learn at the expense of our hounds are the hardest to bear. But what they know and understand at such a fundamental level is that we love them and do all we know to help them. Eliza will greet you with the greatest joy and uncountable kisses.

Diane,

I can't say how sorry I am that you lost your sweet Eliza under such terrible circumstances. You loved her and that was the best gift in the world.

You have helped so many people and their beloved dogs with your knowledge and experience.

Someday you will be reunited with Eliza. Until that day comes, I wish you peace. :candle

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

:grouphug Diane :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 11 months later...

Nothing has changed except the year --

Twelve years and I still cry. Because it was my fault. Although it hurts when you lose any of them for whatever reason, when it's your fault, it is overwhelming.

Quoting myself:

QUOTEBe aware of the side effects of all NSAIDs. Make sure you receive a product insert. Make sure blood work is done before starting on them (for instance, this is Pfizer's protocol regarding rimadyl--not mine!) and at two weeks (yes, two weeks--had that been done, I believe Eliza could have been saved), then every 6 weeks. Make sure platelets are checked in addition to kidney & liver function.

Do not treat these drugs lightly--there is a reason that death was added as a side effect! I say this because I have noticed that many people pop NSAIDs into their pets like we take aspirin or ibuprofen. There is a reason the drug companies say "do blood work before dispensing". Listen to your vet if he/she recommends blood work, and if he/she does not do blood work, request it!

As another thought/opinion: if you have to use a NSAID, don't do the shot, especially post op. Once it's given, you cannot take it back. If your dog has an adverse reaction to the drug, at least on the pills you can stop them and have some chance of recovery. Get those product inserts -- insist on them. Know what to look for as a side effect. Many vets do not know that kidney impairment can be a side effect of NSAIDs. <very big sigh and many tears>

I love you Eliza and I still cannot wait to hug you and see that big smile. It's the only thing that will heal my heart.

Hope you have many ferns in Rainbow Land and many couches

Eliza-1.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Gingergrey

My wish for you is to find the peace in your heart that you so desperately need. I'm sure Eliza has already forgiven you, she loved you unconditionally. Please forgive yourself. :bighug

Guest jettcricket

Diane...everytime I read your story about your precious girl my heart hurts with yours. No doubt your girl does not blame you...you didn't know and you were trying to help her. There will be much healing when you see her again. :beatheart

Diane,

I never saw your post from previous years and my heart breaks for you. I am sure Eliza forgives you, that I can guarantee.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytfulhounds

Thank you for sharing this story, Diane. I had no idea. My Danny just spent the last month of his life on Rimadyl.....I asked my vet at one month if we needed to do bloodwork & was told no.....I will never just accept no for an answer. I know this had to be hard to share again but thank you for sharing to help educate others. :cry1:grouphug

{{{{{{{{{{Diane}}}}}}}}}}

Thinking of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug

I cry every time I read this. But I also know that in sharing Eliza's story, you help countless others.

:grouphug

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.