Misty Stumps The Vet

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking in; if you think tripe might entice her to eat I can bring you some ... I'm not that far away and the car does have air conditioning!

Charla, that is so kind of you to offer, thank you! I know a lot of people have had success with tripe. My only concern is with her kidney disease, I'm a bit afraid to try certain things. I know so little about nutrition, but I will ask the vet about it. He just called and the rest of Misty's blood work is in. Her thyroid is really low, both tests. I only got the t4 and that's .4 and normal should be .6-2.5. We'll be in to see him in a few hours but I did ask about the viral infection. There's nothing they can do for that other than supportive care. He doesn't think the thyroid problem is causing her to not eat.But I always thought it could.And the thyroid being so low can be the cause of the nail problem but it's more common with SLO. Just a few more hours. This day sure is moving slow....Charla, thank you so much. Give handsome Carl and Gracie a big hug from us

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Just checking in; if you think tripe might entice her to eat I can bring you some ... I'm not that far away and the car does have air conditioning!

Charla, that is so kind of you to offer, thank you! I know a lot of people have had success with tripe. My only concern is with her kidney disease, I'm a bit afraid to try certain things. I know so little about nutrition, but I will ask the vet about it. He just called and the rest of Misty's blood work is in. Her thyroid is really low, both tests. I only got the t4 and that's .4 and normal should be .6-2.5. We'll be in to see him in a few hours but I did ask about the viral infection. There's nothing they can do for that other than supportive care. He doesn't think the thyroid problem is causing her to not eat.But I always thought it could.And the thyroid being so low can be the cause of the nail problem but it's more common with SLO. Just a few more hours. This day sure is moving slow....Charla, thank you so much. Give handsome Carl and Gracie a big hug from us

Can you get the full panel results and the reference levels for that lab and post them here? That's not so far outside of that particular normal range to be low for a greyhound.

A couple of other thoughts, keeping in mind that I'm no expert. So far your vet has not started her on anything other than vitamins, right? SLO has two treatments, one which you mentioned earlier I believe that involves an antibiotic, but typically in the past it's been treated with steroids. I'm not one to say put a dog on meds, particularly steroids without a good reason, but if you suspect something autoimmune, maybe starting treatment isn't such a bad idea. If you see improvement, that will be a good sign you're headed in the right direction. You can't diagnose SLO without a toe biopsy anyway, which no one does these days so generally you start treatment and watch. Or you might at least start the antibiotics.

Last comment, I would really think your vet could have at least precribed something for pain. Tramadol is pretty common these days, doesn't generally interfere with other meds and doesn't seem to have the side effects that some meds can have. If she's not eating partially because she's in pain, then this might help her.

Having said all of that, I don't know how these drugs interact with the kidneys. I would think Tramadol is pretty safe, antibiotics should be fine, steroids perhaps not so much, but I would at the very least get her on a safe pain med. If she hasn't been eating well for so long I would be very concerned about continuing the wait and see game. I may be missing parts of the story or not have my timeline right, so please chime in if I'm off base, just worried things will go downhill quickly. Dogs not eating is a clear sign in my world that something is definitely wrong.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Can you get the full panel results and the reference levels for that lab and post them here? That's not so far outside of that particular normal range to be low for a greyhound.

A couple of other thoughts, keeping in mind that I'm no expert. So far your vet has not started her on anything other than vitamins, right? SLO has two treatments, one which you mentioned earlier I believe that involves an antibiotic, but typically in the past it's been treated with steroids. I'm not one to say put a dog on meds, particularly steroids without a good reason, but if you suspect something autoimmune, maybe starting treatment isn't such a bad idea. If you see improvement, that will be a good sign you're headed in the right direction. You can't diagnose SLO without a toe biopsy anyway, which no one does these days so generally you start treatment and watch. Or you might at least start the antibiotics.

Last comment, I would really think your vet could have at least precribed something for pain. Tramadol is pretty common these days, doesn't generally interfere with other meds and doesn't seem to have the side effects that some meds can have. If she's not eating partially because she's in pain, then this might help her.

Having said all of that, I don't know how these drugs interact with the kidneys. I would think Tramadol is pretty safe, antibiotics should be fine, steroids perhaps not so much, but I would at the very least get her on a safe pain med. If she hasn't been eating well for so long I would be very concerned about continuing the wait and see game. I may be missing parts of the story or not have my timeline right, so please chime in if I'm off base, just worried things will go downhill quickly. Dogs not eating is a clear sign in my world that something is definitely wrong.

Misty has been on Tramadol, and has been on an antibiotic. BUT, my vet just got back and we see him for the first time today. The treatment that has been suggested to me by a few vets I know personally and by someone who is well versed on SLO, is all suppliments. From what I have read, Prednisone is a last resort, but I don't want to do that because of her kidneys. I am bringing with me what has been suggested just to see what my vet's thoughts are. Misty did eat the KD(canned) this morning, I just had to hand feed her which is great if she'll eat. Believe me, I'm not the "wait and see" type with my dogs, but I learned a lesson having my vet gone.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest HersheysMom

1. Tripe is good for kidney dogs! No problem.

2. Can you try giving her vanilla Ensure or DogSure?

3. Can you syringe feed her for the time being until she gets her appetite back?

4. HUGS!!!!

So sorry all of this is happening :(

We're back from the vet. And Carolyn, thank you the info on tripe being okay for a kidney dog! According to my vet, he really feels that Misty's nail problems are a result of her low thyroid.Despite his belief, there is still a possibility of SLO but he wants to rule out the thyroid being the cause first. He wants her on EicosaDerm which I had already started as I give it to Wayne and I can swear by the results. She'll be on Soloxine, and also an immune system suppliment which they've had very good results with. As for the viral infection, he said all that's done for that is supportive care. He feels that with her thyroid as low as it is, I could see a difference in 2 weeks and worst case, 30 days. We will also revisit with another thyroid check in 30 days. As for the not eating, Misty did eat at 3:00 and she ate as if she was starving. My vet thinks her not wanting to eat could have been the results of the antibiotic or the viral infection. I need to call him every day and let him know if she's eating. I really would like to thank everyone for caring about Misty, and the suggestions and offers. I can't even explain how much that means to me, I really can't. And I will let you in on a secret, this is the first time in my life anyone has ever offered help or cared about my dogs. And that is no lie

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Thank you for the update. Hopefully the thyroid meds will bring her back quickly. Glad to hear she's eating, too. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Marc

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Oh that is good news! I hope she keeps eating and perks up quickly with the meds. I was reading somewhere just a day or so ago that most greys have borderline low thyroids and thinking that in humans that means weight gain! I was also wondering if she was drinking a lot ...hard to gauge in this heat ... and if she was checked for diabetes. I'm sure your vet has covered all the bases though being that he's an internest.

Give her hugs and scritches from Gracie and Carl

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Oh that is good news! I hope she keeps eating and perks up quickly with the meds. I was reading somewhere just a day or so ago that most greys have borderline low thyroids and thinking that in humans that means weight gain! I was also wondering if she was drinking a lot ...hard to gauge in this heat ... and if she was checked for diabetes. I'm sure your vet has covered all the bases though being that he's an internest.

Give her hugs and scritches from Gracie and Carl

Thank you Charla, and yes my vet has the bases covered. Now I know some will disagree here, but according to my vet, Misty isin't borderline low thyroid, she's low.(.4) Misty actually doesn't drink enough water(just my opinion) but she sure will guzzle gatorade. But it has to be melon gatorade :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Did she have a full thyroid panel? Sounds like all that was done was the T4?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Did she have a full thyroid panel? Sounds like all that was done was the T4?

She did have a full panel. For the life of me I can't remember the other name, I know it's the T4 and it's??? He wouldn't start the Soloxine until he got the second test back which took an extra 2 days, and that also was low.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Does not sound like a full thyroid panel -- that would have several measures, including a TSH, which should be high, not low. T4 and fT4 can vary from day to day in a healthy dog, and are often depressed in a dog who has other illnesses, which yours certainly shows signs of having. It's those other illnesses that should be treated.

Your vet is your vet, but hypothyroid is overdiagnosed and overtreated in a lot of greyhounds. I have no doubt that the thyroid meds will make her feel perkier, but they can cause complications in some other conditions (notably other endocrine disorders like Cushing's, and heart conditions). So you really want to be sure that that's the primary problem before you start treating it.

In any case, hope things work out for your girl and she starts feeling better soon!

ETA: Here is a whole bunch of info about thyroid testing and results and interpretation that might be of help, if not to you, than to other readers :) . http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/FAQ/Endocr...d_Canine.php#04

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Does not sound like a full thyroid panel -- that would have several measures, including a TSH, which should be high, not low. T4 and fT4 can vary from day to day in a healthy dog, and are often depressed in a dog who has other illnesses, which yours certainly shows signs of having. It's those other illnesses that should be treated.

Your vet is your vet, but hypothyroid is overdiagnosed and overtreated in a lot of greyhounds. I have no doubt that the thyroid meds will make her feel perkier, but they can cause complications in some other conditions (notably other endocrine disorders like Cushing's, and heart conditions). So you really want to be sure that that's the primary problem before you start treating it.

In any case, hope things work out for your girl and she starts feeling better soon!

ETA: Here is a whole bunch of info about thyroid testing and results and interpretation that might be of help, if not to you, than to other readers :) . http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/FAQ/Endocr...d_Canine.php#04

It was a full thyroid panel, that I am very sure of. I think that your belief is based on the fact that I can give you all the info.I realize that no one here cares about the ability of my vet, but what I can tell you is Dr Couto can vouch for my vet and his knowledge with Greys. Don't judge him by my inability to relay facts

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I hope Misty starts feeling better real soon. Was her blood sent to MSU? That is where they sent the Flashmans blood. I wanted it to go to Dr. Couto but he stated they don't do full thyroid panels there. Hug Misty for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh, Claudia, I sure hope Misty is going to be feeling better and better. I don't know much about thyroid---except my own, which is low---I just want that girl to start eating well, and not worrying her Mom!

Keep us updated. Lydia is sending out lots of telepathic "feel better, eat EVERYTHING" thoughts.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

We're back from the vet. And Carolyn, thank you the info on tripe being okay for a kidney dog! According to my vet, he really feels that Misty's nail problems are a result of her low thyroid.Despite his belief, there is still a possibility of SLO but he wants to rule out the thyroid being the cause first. He wants her on EicosaDerm which I had already started as I give it to Wayne and I can swear by the results. She'll be on Soloxine, and also an immune system suppliment which they've had very good results with. As for the viral infection, he said all that's done for that is supportive care. He feels that with her thyroid as low as it is, I could see a difference in 2 weeks and worst case, 30 days. We will also revisit with another thyroid check in 30 days. As for the not eating, Misty did eat at 3:00 and she ate as if she was starving. My vet thinks her not wanting to eat could have been the results of the antibiotic or the viral infection. I need to call him every day and let him know if she's eating. I really would like to thank everyone for caring about Misty, and the suggestions and offers. I can't even explain how much that means to me, I really can't. And I will let you in on a secret, this is the first time in my life anyone has ever offered help or cared about my dogs. And that is no lie

Well, welcome to GT! :D

:bighug

Sounds like she may be on the road to recovery. I want to just hit the nutritional yeast again, 'cause of it's yummy B vitamins, which are all about supporting the system!

When I had goats that were poorly, with no other hard diagnosis, the vet would give a shot of Bs, and you could just see them light back up, and hit the feeder.

Anyway, if you need me to take Ekko off your hands for a bit, you know where I am! :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

What a relief, you must feel so much better (cautiously optimistic!). It sounds like your vet is very thorough and thoughtful. It's great that he wants you to call him every day. I had a vet that did that once, she even called me every day, it meant so much to me, I knew that she really cared and took an interest in Sheila's health and well-being.

Your last two lines break my heart. There are people out there who just don't get it. You've got a good community of caring people here.

xo to Misty and you.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm just catching up on quite a few threads. I'm sorry to hear your baby wasn't doing well, but I'm glad you have a diagnosis and can now help her. Know what the problem is makes a huge difference in mental attitude, especially for mom. I hope she responds quickly to the meds and is feeling better very soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest ChancesMom

Nothing much to add that I didn't say in the PM but just wanted to send more :bighug :bighug :bighug your way.

From Chance to Misty (and me) :kiss2:bighug:cookie

It was a full thyroid panel, that I am very sure of. I think that your belief is based on the fact that I can give you all the info.I realize that no one here cares about the ability of my vet, but what I can tell you is Dr Couto can vouch for my vet and his knowledge with Greys. Don't judge him by my inability to relay facts

I don't think anyone is judging your vet. We're all just trying to help you figure out what's going on with Misty. There's a cumulative amount of medical experience with greyhounds here that exceed what any one vet could have so I always try to get some GT input on a questionable medical issue and talk about it with my vet.

What I personally find most strange and possibly a bit unconvincing is the sudden onset of symptoms. That seems atypical to me for a dog that just has a low thyroid, which is why I'm still inclined to think there's something else causing the thyroid problem. If you could post the full panel results and reference ranges, that would be really helpful. The receptionist at your vet's office should be able to easily read those to you over the phone, or fax you a copy.

Glad you found some support here. This is an amazing community and everyone truly is looking out for each other and their pups. I don't know what I did before GT. Hard to imagine life without it. :dunno

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."