Misty Stumps The Vet

Yesterday Misty started to hold her back foot up and wouldn't put any weight on her foot.I checked her foot to see if I could see anything and I noticed that one of her nails is missing the back(or underside) of the nail and you could see the quick.Strangest looking thing.Then I checked her other back foot and the same thing. My vet is still away and will be back on Tuesday but I didn't want to wait because Misty was hurting. Well this vet is stumped. He has no idea why it's like that but agrees with me that it may be auto-immune related. He suggested I take her to a dermatologist. I was hoping he could at least do something so it wouldn't be painful. But no. So now we wait until Tuesday so I can talk to Misty's regular vet to see what he thinks. I'm having difficulty believing that we can't do something to at least fix it and then worry about what's causing it. Frustrating Any ideas?

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a possibility, a couple of links.

SLO

another link

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Here is a possibility, a couple of links.<a href="http://www.arizonaadoptagreyhound.org/newsletter/articles/toenails.html" target="_blank">

</a>

SLO

another link

Thank you. I did read about SLO and I'm also wondering if it could be her thyroid.She's due for a kidney profile on Monday so I'm asking for a thyroid as well.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Found out last night that this nail problem could be related to Misty's kidney disease. I din't know that the kidneys could have an affect on her nails. Another gt'er has been very generous with her knowledge for which I am very grateful for. I know that this seems so minor compared to what so many others are going through, but it's painful for Misty.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest greytloves
Another gt'er has been very generous with her knowledge for which I am very grateful for.

And this is why GT ROCKS! :rivethead

Hope Misty if feeling better soon. Is it both feet or 2 nails on one foot? Just wondering how she is getting around.

Another gt'er has been very generous with her knowledge for which I am very grateful for.

And this is why GT ROCKS! :rivethead

Hope Misty if feeling better soon. Is it both feet or 2 nails on one foot? Just wondering how she is getting around.

It's both back feet so she's not getting around well at all.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest KRKWMU

Misty... :wub: Everyone is trying so hard to make you feel better. I hope her toes get better quickly once your regular vet gets back. :goodluck

Guest Pipi5
Found out last night that this nail problem could be related to Misty's kidney disease. I din't know that the kidneys could have an affect on her nails. Another gt'er has been very generous with her knowledge for which I am very grateful for. I know that this seems so minor compared to what so many others are going through, but it's painful for Misty.

Claudia, no "ailment" is minor when it comes to our puppies. When they hurt, we hurt. By you posting, others can help & others can learn. GT is a great reference of many subjects...

All this time we thought it was maybe her pulling her nails off with the grass or the carpet or her bedding & it could boil down to her kidney ailment. Not only are we learning, but this could shine a light on another place for the doctor. :colgate

Could she wear boots to protect her feet a little until some treatment is sorted out?

See....another greyt idea...Claudia try baby socks...they're just the right size.

Guest greyt2love

Poor Misty ! Baby socks are the right size and hopefully Misty will leave them on ! They don't work for my gang but they're cheap, so it's worth trying !!

Claudia, no "ailment" is minor when it comes to our puppies. When they hurt, we hurt. By you posting, others can help & others can learn. GT is a great reference of many subjects...

All this time we thought it was maybe her pulling her nails off with the grass or the carpet or her bedding & it could boil down to her kidney ailment. Not only are we learning, but this could shine a light on another place for the doctor. :colgate

Could she wear boots to protect her feet a little until some treatment is sorted out?

See....another greyt idea...Claudia try baby socks...they're just the right size.

Thank you!! I do feel a little ridiculous because it's minor and so many others are facing serious issues. But Hilda, you said it, when she hurts, I hurt. I have a hard time accepting that I have one who hurts and we're not doing anything for her. I know my vet will have a solution, it's just waiting her him to get back. As for the socks and the boots, I could try that but my concern is she has 2 exposed quicks and anything on her feet could hurt more.I did call another Grey savy vet this morning who knows Misty but she's on vacation as well. Must be a popular vacation time here. They've got their nerve :lol I am giving her Tramadol and she's on an antibiotic as well.Oh and Hilda, the vet we saw yesterday was a doll. I couldn't stop looking at him myself but Misty was not amused. Nicest looking guy I have ever seen and a personality to match

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Just wanted to share what I learned yesterday.Dr Jean Dodds, who is the founder of Hemopet has always been so generous with her time and advice for my dogs. I know she's also helped others on this forum. According to Jean, kidney disease can cause nail problems but only in the advance stages. She said SLO is much more common.So there's a good chance that's what we're looking at here.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest greydogluvr

I am just seeing this. I am so sorry your baby is not feeling well. Hopefully a quick resoultion can be found. Positive thoughts coming your way. Give Misty a BIG hug from all of us. :grouphug Please keep us updated.

Edited by greydogluvr

Oh, Misty, sweet lady, I hope you feel better soon. Your Mom worries about you.

Claudia, hope you can find out what the problem is---it's tough not knowing. And tough waiting---how dare those vets be unavailable when Misty needs them! They just better get their butts back in town. Seriously, sending good thoughts and hugs to you and your girl.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh, Misty, sweet lady, I hope you feel better soon. Your Mom worries about you.

Claudia, hope you can find out what the problem is---it's tough not knowing. And tough waiting---how dare those vets be unavailable when Misty needs them! They just better get their butts back in town. Seriously, sending good thoughts and hugs to you and your girl.

Thank you so much Nancy.When I get to talk to my vet, I will be telling him that if he goes anywhere, he will be taking Misty with him from now on. :lol I emailed 2 Grey savy vets I know that are not located here in Ca. And both of them gave me the same info and same exact advice that MomofSweetPotatoes gave me. This gt'er really knows her stuff!! And I'm so very greatful that she took the time to give me the info she did. She rocks!!

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

poor baby - we use baby socks a lot on our kids and put the socks over the bandages and when they go outside we use the plastic newpaper sleeves when the have foot boo boos. Hope everything works out for your sweetheart

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest ChancesMom

Claludia, I just saw this post. Tuesday is getting closer and closer. Poor Misty. Poor you. Everyone is right, no matter how slight you may think this is, when she hurts you hurt. No ailment or problem is slight. Sending :bighug:kiss2 from Chance and I.