Eight Belles

Hubcitypam

please don't lock it :(

I am saddened so greatly by the loss of Eight Belles :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

a girl with a flying hoofs and a heart of gold :sad1

rest peacefully, pretty Belle :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This broke my heart tonight. She was my pick too. How could I not pick the filly? So proud when she took 2nd, only to see her collapsed on the track a moment later.

How devastating. :f_pink:f_pink:weep

8belles.jpg

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Beautiful girlie, we were rooting for you, too. Godspeed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I was at the track today and saw it right after it happened :(

Rest in Peace Eight Belles :candle

Jones: She Went Out A Champion - drf.com

Jones: 'She went out a champion'

By MIKE WELSCH

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - At a press conference two hours after his filly Eight Belles was euthanized on the racetrack after fracturing both front ankles following her second-place finish in the Kentucky Derby, a choked up Larry Jones said: "She went out in a blaze of glory, she went out a champion. We're heartbroke. We're going to miss her."

Jones had won the Kentucky Oaks the previous afternoon with Proud Spell. He also trained Hard Spun, who finished second in the 2007 Derby.

Jones said he watched Eight Belles cross the finish and gallop out around the turn and was unaware that she had been injured.

"She hit the wire running, I watched her gallop out around the turn with her ears up following Big Brown, and she did not appear to be in any distress," said Jones. "At that point we were kind of high fivin' and thinking this was deja vu like last year. I had trouble getting through the crowd to get to the racetrack and when we finally got to the track I saw Kent (Desormeaux) coming back and you could tell from the look on his face he was a little solemn. It was just not like he'd won the Kentucky Derby. Then I heard a horse had broken down and figured it must have been one of the ones who'd run poorly, and then someone said, 'That's your jock riding back on the pony with Donna Brothers.' "

And when Jones finally got to his rider, Gabriel Saez, he learned the bad news.

"He told me, 'Mr. Larry they put her down,' " said Jones. "And I thought, how do you put a horse down like this? We're used to trying to save them. I caught a ride in the ambulance to where she was lying on the racetrack and when I saw her I knew there was no way of her being saved."

Jones says he didn't know what caused the injury, but that it didn't have anything to do with her racing against males for the first time in her career. Nor did he blame the racetrack, which was soaked by rains on Friday and early Saturday morning but was rated fast by post time for the Derby.

"I see no reason for this," said Jones. "It happened a quarter of a mile after the race. If she was under a little stress finishing the race, was losing ground and looked like she was in distress, I would have second-guessed myself severely and kicked myself in the pants. She went into the race the best she's ever gone into any race in her life, she was so calm in the paddock, so confident. I know we're probably going to get criticized and second-guessed by somebody who'll come up with the idea she shouldn't have been in there, but it wasn't in the race this happened. She could have done this racing against Shetland ponies. All she had to do was pull up and come back and we'd be happy. Unfortunately that just didn't happen."

Jones choked up again when talking about footage that appeared on the ESPN broadcast earlier in the day showed him exercising Eight Belles here this week.

"She's been our family, she's been with us for a year and that was my last ride on her," he said while choking up briefly. "Losing animals isn't fun. It's not supposed to happen. We're going to miss her."

P.S. Eight Belle's Actual Foal Date (Birthday) was 2-23-2005

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

How unbelievably sad .... We were gone yesterday .... didn't hear about this till this morning & I'm in tears here ....

I'm so glad I didn't watch the Derby this year and witness this tragedy.

Run free Eight Belles .....

:f_red:f_pink:f_red

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest mdituro

Such a tragically sad ending for a beautiful champion. :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 Those closest to "Belles" must be devastated by this loss!

Run wild and free beautiful girl :f_pink

So sad. :weep Run fast...free...and healed. Godspeed... :f_red:f_pink:f_whitef_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

This tragedy brings up memories of Ruffian. Godspeed sweetheart-you were a true champion.

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest TuxsMom

run free, "little" girl :heart:

you know what i'm choosing to believe? that her legs were already under stress moments before the tragedy, during the race....and she still came in 2nd place....so to me, if there were no problems, she would have taken it all home !!!! :cry1

:weep :weep :weep:angelwings :angelwings :f_pink :f_pink

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho