Eight Belles

Hubcitypam

Run free big beautiful 17 hand girl. -- you were my pick. I knew it was bad when two ambulances blocked the track. You had the heart of a champion. Any celebration should be bit muted in respect for you. :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so sad! She broke both front legs after coming in second and they put her down on the track.

Run free!!

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

I know that if I was the owner or trainer of Big Brown or any of the other horses for that matter, I wouldn't be carrying on with my celebration. I would feel like I didn't even WANT the win anymore if it's at the expense of a beautiful girl losing her life :( That would definitely kill any joy I had.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest LokisMom

That was heart breaking. She ran a heck of a race.

Run free, beautiful girl. :(

Edited by LokisMom

Guest VelvetEars

Poor baby. I'm so sorry, sweet girl. You ran a fantastic race, and I'm sorry it ended the way it did. :(

Guest KennelMom

So sad :cry1 Big Brown ran a great race but it was hard to watch the celebration knowing there was a horse down on the track :(

Godspeed, Eight Belles...

Edited by KennelMom

I know if she was running on brokn legs and her heart alone at the end and collapsed after the camras were off or not.... I'll be ebven moer furious if Mr. big mouth just keeps bragging and celebrating. Let me knows what happens. I can't watch.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

One of the Big Brown guys just said in his interview that they just found out and he expressed his condolences. Guess that's all you can do. So sad, but I am glad she didn't feel pain for long...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest MyCody

Extremely sad, in watching the re plays she was absolutely running for all she was worth, such spirit. I was amazed at how she manuevered her way through so many horses to come in second. I too was routing for her.

I'm interested to hear exactly what happened for both legs to have broken.

Run free from pain Eight Belles.

Terry

Stairwayrainbow.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest adriahna
I'm interested to hear exactly what happened for both legs to have broken.

Same here - I know that their legs are fragile as all get out, but two... it's just not right. Poor girl.

Guest ArtysPeople

I haven't been able to watch a horse race since Barbaro; couldn't even listen to his jockey relate the story on the radio this morning. I'm so glad I wasn't watching. Run free poor girl.

:f_pink

Guest ArtysPeople
My good ole boy horse savvy neighbor said it probably hppened when he pulled her up...but I don't know enuf about horses to know that.

A quote from Eight Bells' jockey, per an AP Wire story:

"When we passed the wire I stood up. She started galloping funny. I tried to pull her up. That's when she went down," a distraught Saez said.

Yeah Pam, I'll move it.

Please express your condolences for the loss of Eight Belles here.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****