Eight Belles

Hubcitypam

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest budsmom

From the news reports I heard today, it sounds like she broke the right front first, and then due to that injury she broke the left leg and couldn't stand. These things just tear my heart out, such beautiful animals but so fragile.

RIP sweetie, run and play with all the other angels. You're in a better place now :f_red

According to one site, at the 7/8ths pole, her head flew up and that could indicate the first break - then she couldn't be stopped and broke the second. What a wonderful filly - run, eight Belles, as you were bred to run, with all our angels! :f_red:f_red

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Guest hamiesmom

Eight Belles, you are a true champion and such a beauty. Run free with your beautiful angel wings. I'm sure you are going to keep Ruffian and Barbaro in line.

Guest IGmom4now
I have been around horses all of my life and I know exactly what happened. Thoroughbred foals, no matter when they are born, are considered yearlings on January 1. So, if a foal is born on December 15, come January 1, hey...they've got themselves a yearling. Some of these babies are training at two years old...they haven't even finished growing at that point. Imagine the pounding those little legs take just in training. I showed hunters for years and we didn't even think about putting a saddle on them until they 3-4 years old and even then, started slowly. I don't watch horse racing...don't even keep up with it; I wouldn't have know about that poor filly if my cousin hadn't called to ask me what happened to her. I then went online to see. Her little baby ankles snapped and there is no recovering from that kind of injury. I know I'm getting on a soap box here, but I have a major problem with this whole horse racing thing. Barbaro's owners had the $$$s to try and keep him standing and for what? Stud fees...he was a proven winner and could have made another fortune for them. Even if Eight Belles had not suffered the type of injuries she did, a mare doesn't bring in the bucks like the boys. Sorry for the tirade but I've been fretting about this since I heard what happened.

Godspeed, sweet Eight Belles....your ankles are fine now and there are no racetracks in heaven...only green pastures and a better life.

I agree 100 percent. These horses are TOO young for this kind of racing, in my opinion.

I'm afraid I agree too. My heartfelt response at the time was "That whole sport is disgusting." What a waste of a beautiful, baby animal. Godspeed, Eight Belles

Guest Machbragal

Some news on Chelokee -- the horse injured at Churchill Downs on Friday (trained by Michael Matz, Barbaro's trainer) -- he is out of surgery and back in his stall on his feet. Let's pray laminitis doesn't make an appearance.

I can only hope that something is learned. Maybe, like Ruffian, Belles' death will bring about a better way of doing things and some will live that otherwise wouldn't have. Godspeed to Eight Belles.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest mdituro
I have been around horses all of my life and I know exactly what happened. Thoroughbred foals, no matter when they are born, are considered yearlings on January 1. So, if a foal is born on December 15, come January 1, hey...they've got themselves a yearling. Some of these babies are training at two years old...they haven't even finished growing at that point. Imagine the pounding those little legs take just in training. I showed hunters for years and we didn't even think about putting a saddle on them until they 3-4 years old and even then, started slowly. I don't watch horse racing...don't even keep up with it; I wouldn't have know about that poor filly if my cousin hadn't called to ask me what happened to her. I then went online to see. Her little baby ankles snapped and there is no recovering from that kind of injury. I know I'm getting on a soap box here, but I have a major problem with this whole horse racing thing. Barbaro's owners had the $$$s to try and keep him standing and for what? Stud fees...he was a proven winner and could have made another fortune for them. Even if Eight Belles had not suffered the type of injuries she did, a mare doesn't bring in the bucks like the boys. Sorry for the tirade but I've been fretting about this since I heard what happened.

Godspeed, sweet Eight Belles....your ankles are fine now and there are no racetracks in heaven...only green pastures and a better life.

I agree 100 percent. These horses are TOO young for this kind of racing, in my opinion.

I'm afraid I agree too. My heartfelt response at the time was "That whole sport is disgusting." What a waste of a beautiful, baby animal. Godspeed, Eight Belles

No offense intended but some of us out here respect the grief the owners & trainer are experiencing right now and wish to send our condolences for their loss. This is a tragic accident! It should not have happened to such a beautiful, young horse - we can all wholeheartedly agree on that - but it was an accident. No one wanted this to happen. Please don't use this thread to rant about racing.

(BTW - Eight Belles turned 3 in February)

Beautiful girl, Eight Belles I am so sorry. :candle Godspeed, there are so many of our angels for you to run with.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

As soon as I saw her I said to my DH she is too delicate :(

How about this, we do not have to end horse racing, run them like we do greyhounds, NO WHIPS, the horse with the heart to run will win, no pushing the limits with whips.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

• 2 weeks later...