I Lost My Sweet Chancy

Within the last few days, I've noticed a slight enlargement of Chancy's abdomen, in precisely the same location as Sissy's when she was diagnosed with liver and spleen cancer. I've been planning to get an abdominal ultrasound, and had thought I could put it off until early August, since her liver values of eleven days ago were high, but not through the roof according to our trusted vet. With this new firm swelling, and Chancy's ever-increasing breathing problems, I may have to step up the ultrasound. FWIW, her appetite and other bodily functions are in good working order. I had also been considering tieback surgery for her breathing, but the liver seems to be taking a front seat now...

My poor ol' gal is having a rough few days. I am a constant worrier, but I'm especially worried that we may not have much time left with our sweet ol' tigerdog. We're planning a roadtrip at the end of July to Grapehounds, and we intend to bring all the pups. It seems likely to be Chancy's last big trip. :( I can't see leaving her behind, as I truly believe she is happiest when with us, and especially if that means also being in the car.

The pessimistic side of me wonders if there's any point in doing the ultrasound, since if it is indeed cancer, we are unwilling to put our beloved fragile shy old lady through aggressive treatments. I find myself wondering if it could even be anything else besides cancer.

Please help us by sending positive thoughts. I'm not good at staying positive through these things. :( We adore our gentle stripey tigerdog, and two years with her isn't enough.

chancy_sun1.jpg

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trevdog

Poor girl...I would do the ultrasound ASAP. What if you are dealing with something that can be easily treated if caught soon enough? I'd want to know....

I have no advice Aimmee, just :candle and :hope

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Ahhh crap Aimee! :bighug

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest Tenderhearts

Oh Aimee, you know I will keep your sweet Chancy in my prayers here!!!!!!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Gentle hugs to you too :grouphug :grouphug

PS. As for the ultrasound, only you can make that decision. I had one done on Skittle and the only thing it showed was a slightly enlarged liver. We'll never have the answers, but at least I have peace of mind I did everything I could for her.

Please do not lose faith. A GTer friend of mine had a 12.5 boy with LP and mass in his spleen last year who had emergency tieback. The mass turned out to be benign but caused a respiratory episode. Her hound is now 13.5 and doing very well. I will try to reach her and ask her to post. She helped me a lot when I went through my boy's tieback.

Take care.

:cry1 Sending lots of prayers and light to your beautiful gal. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending prayers. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

It is really difficult not to think the worst, especially as they get older. Not sure what I would do about the ultasound, I don't know Chancey at all. You do and you will do what is best for her. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. All any of us can do really. :bighug :bighug :bighug

If the ultrasound wouldn't stress her too badly, it might be worth doing.

Sending warmest hugs and prayers for your girlie. Yourself, too. A person can feel in your words how special she is, and how much you love her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.