I Lost My Sweet Chancy

Guest nerak254
I agree, it seems like fluid in her abdomen. It's exactly like the swelling Sissy had when she had excess fluid in her belly. I can't get an ultrasound any sooner than Thursday unless I take her to the U (where I don't trust them for various reasons). Even then I'm not sure they'd get me in unless it's a dire emergency. Can the fluid be drained prior to the ultrasound? My fear is they'd need to be guided by ultrasound so they don't do further damage while trying to help...

Vet opens at 9am. I'm having a hard time determining how much of an actual emergency this is, and how much is me just freaking out with worry...

Here's hoping it's something bedsides her liver. For whatever it's worth, I'm not a fan of the U either. I'll call you later today.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an appointment with my regular vet today at 3:45. The ultrasound is still set for Thursday, but I want to see if there's anything we can do to give Chancy some relief in the meantime.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Thinking of and praying for Chancey. :grouphug for both of you.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Sending more prayers for Chancy. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Chancy's update for today...

Her appetite is okay, now that I've discovered a new trick. I noticed yesterday that she wanted to drink the gravy on her food, but didn't want the solids. So since then I've been making "Doggie Smoothies" for her, which is basically the same mix of food, with extra water and/or chicken broth added and blended until smooth. So far she really seems to like them. :D Soon she'll be expecting a "boost" of bee pollen or some such extravagance. :lol

The ultrasound is still set for tomorrow at 2pm. We went to the regular vet yesterday and got an abdominal xray which showed that her spleen is enlarged. It was good to know it's not fluid (which means her heart is not compromised and her liver hasn't failed completely), but of course not good that her spleen is in overdrive. We'll know more after the ultrasound. If it's cancer of the spleen (a strong likelihood, though our vet kindly didn't want to use that "C" word), we'll need to determine if it has metastasized anywhere else. If it seems to be only in the spleen, it may be operable.

We'll know more after tomorrow.

Our vet laughed hard when he heard me refer to Chancy's ultrasound as her "spa appointment for her Brazilian..." :lol

Thank you all again (and still) for the kind thoughts and wishes. For now she's hanging in there. The heat and humidity of these last few days has been tough on the poor ol' gal. We're doing our best to keep her comfy, at the expense of our AC bill :rolleyes: . Our travel plans are up in the air until we know what we're dealing with. We still intend to go, but tomorrow's findings may change that.

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Aimee...

Hoping for very good results!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Oh Aimee how clearly I see your tiger girl in my mind's eye - happy girl, thinking she can romp along the many smells in my back yard. I'm so sorry to hear she is not doing as well as we all had hoped. This heat must be a bear for her. Hugs from me and my crew - Carole

Carole, Chancy loved digging in your doggie pit that day we visited. You're right, she really does forget she's a senior. She's eternally young at heart. It's one of the many many reasons we adore her. :wub:

Guest JenFallon

I'm so sorry to hear about Chancy. My Grainne has liver cancer (she is also 12 years old). She had a grapefruit size tumor (along with a good amount of her liver) removed at the end of December. They didn't get clean margins but she's doing great on a special diet (home cooking), herbal supplements and accupuncture. I wouldn't have put her through the surgery but she's such a good natured energetic dog we decided she could handle it. She also is showing early signs of LP and LS but she still thinks she's a puppy! We have no regrets, but every situation is different.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. I know how hard the waiting is. Hang in there :grouphug

Jen

Ultrasound appt is today. My stomach has been in knots all morning. I brought Chancy to work with me today so we can go straight from here. She's resting comfortably on her bed by my desk. :wub:

Her appetite is still fine as long as I keep serving her meals in "smoothie" form. :chow: On our am walk she scared me a bit. It was a tad cooler today, so we went three blocks instead of one. But about 3/4 of the way home, she suddenly stopped in her tracks, closed her mouth and stared into the middle distance for a full minute. I saw drool falling from her lips. She looked like she was going to vomit, but was not heaving. After that minute, I coaxed her to continue walking another 15 feet or so before she did puke. Just a few tbsps of yellow bile. Chancy is not a puker, so this scares me more than it would on either of my other two dogs. After that she seemed fine. Ate her breakfast "bisque" like a champ. :)

I'm not looking forward to today's appointment. I know it's silly, and is the least of my worries, but I wish they didn't have to shave her fuzzy tummy. :sad1 It just reminds me far too distinctly of Sissy's ultrasound, where I was well aware she would not live long enough to grow her beautiful fur back. :cry1

Edited by ZoomDoggy

I'm glad to hear that Chancy is enjoying her smoothies! I will be thinking of you both today! :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Here are new pics of my Stripey tigerdog. This is from Sunday, on our way home from a picnic at the beach. It's inside Chancy's chariot, our new minivan. :)

post-4518-1184851898_thumb.jpg

And this is from two minutes ago, Chancy by my desk at work. :wub: Workdays are always improved by the presence of dogs. :)

post-4518-1184851902_thumb.jpg

eta: cameraphone pics, sorry they're blurry.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

My stomach is flip-flopping with apprehension. Once in a while I have to remind myself to take deep breaths, and keep in mind that what will be will be. If Chancy's spleen is affected without metastases elsewhere, it may be operable. If it is metastasized cancer, we'll just keep her as comfy as possible for as long as possible.

Even if it is possibly operable, I'm still not sure she's a good surgery candidate. And if we do choose surgery, do we want to try the scope/tieback at the same time? It all seems like so much, too much for my poor sweet old girlie. :( Lots to think about...

Yesterday she chased Sparks (a grey we're pupsitting) once around the yard. She was having soooo much fun, but I had to stop her for fear of her getting hurt or having a breathing crisis. :sad1