Alan's Spinal Cord Injury

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Actually all 3 of my dogs have had some spine issues now - the first one who would pull on her collar so much when she wanted to go chase something that she apparently wore her cervical spine in spots and so she was rested for a month, and now wears a harness for walks. She is a good girl unless she senses another dog, cat, squirrel, some critter may have an attitude and then she's ready to show them who is boss. My 2nd girl ended up in a harness because of neck issues also - she is 60 lbs to my boy's 85 lbs and when he would suddenly stop to pee, we jerked her neck back as her leash was being held in the same hand and she too developed cervical spine issues. My big boy just recently was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. Minor, nothing to the degree that you are dealing with, and I'm so sorry youi're dealing with this. I'm relaying this in hopes others might see how their dogs too could be setting themselves up for spinal injuries...my big boy likes to leap after birds and cats. Apparently he leaped one too many times, up on his hind legs. The anti-inflammatory medication did not work for him and started to shut down his kidneys (Previcox). Fortunately I was able to question how come he was not getting better and in fact seemed 'worse' somehow and we stopped his medication and he is now back to "normal."

For all of my dogs I use Tahitian Noni juice. Perhaps run that by the alternative medicine people that you are working with if you can. It works on their circulation for some reason. All my dogs and now I take it with wonderful results. It is pricey, but truly, all 3 of my dogs no longer show signs of stenosis. Harnesses will be your best friend when Alan is up again. He will be up again. He won't be playing like a wild and crazy guy again, only because you won't let him. That's another thing once recovered...play isn't eliminated, but it is kept to brief, very brief moments of leaping joy and chasing. We have a 2 minute limit at our house. Friends who come to visit know our limits and I ask that they curtain their dog's activities so mine won't want to give chase...it works, ours is a backyard for lounging, and playing a short game of hide and seek. He is going to get better. He is going to get better. He is now exponentially getting better. Believe it. Hugs, Carole, kisses from my crew :gh_face

Sending more prayers and warm thoughts!

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest paulamariez

Sending Alan lots of prayers, love and light for a quick and complete recovery. Such a scary thing to happen to that poor boy! If things like that scare us, can you imagine how that poor dog must feel? And to not be able to communicate with us even! Poor boy.

Oh, Suzie, I'm so sorry to hear about Alan. My heart dog Cinnamon suffered an FCE and she lost the use of her legs, much like Alan did. She was on high doses of steroids for a couple of days and then she went to see our acupuncture/chiropractic vet in Akron. She made an amazing recovery, and was back to normal in about a month. Unfortunately, she had another episode a few months later and did not recover.

PM me if you want more information about our vet.

Oh no, there's a chance it could happen again, even if he recovers this time? :(

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

We are sending mucg love, hugs and prayers your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending more prayers...hope...and bright light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greyladydown
Oh, Suzie, I'm so sorry to hear about Alan. My heart dog Cinnamon suffered an FCE and she lost the use of her legs, much like Alan did. She was on high doses of steroids for a couple of days and then she went to see our acupuncture/chiropractic vet in Akron. She made an amazing recovery, and was back to normal in about a month. Unfortunately, she had another episode a few months later and did not recover.

Oh no, there's a chance it could happen again, even if he recovers this time? :(

Unfortunately, there is a chance. I hated to think about it when she was recovering. Although she had other health problems, she seemed strong and made such amazing progress. But, she went down again while we were doing a Meet and Greet and the second FCE was much worse than the first.

I'm praying for Alan. I hope he makes a full recovery.

When Rascal was diagnosed I was told that the chance of it happening again was pretty slim because it is a rare thing.

How is Alan doing today?

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Suzie I'm so sorry that I'm just seeing this

Alan and your whole family are in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery

I'm so so sorry and my heart aches for you

:hope :hope :hope :hope