Alan's Spinal Cord Injury

Guest iggalicious
Has anyone else been thru a spinal cord injury with their Greyhound? What was recovery like? Did your hound need surgery? Will he ever be able to walk again???

Iggy had similar symptoms to this once. The vet didn't no why it happened (no spinal cord injury). He was fine two days later and it never happened again. I wonder if it's the same thing?

Sending hugs

:bighug

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Karyl
My Name is Karyl, I was at OSU on Friday waiting on my Greyhound, Zeus. My Vet student Paulo, told me the same thing that happend to Zeus,

happened to your Alan.

Zeus is a beautiful 5 years old dark brindle we adopted him last July. He is precious to us and to our 3 year old standard poodle Joli and our 17

year old cat Sabastin.

I let Zeus out as usual on Monday May 14th at 6:00 AM, he came in and his rear end was wobbley, I knew something was wrong immediately,

he still wanted to eat so I supported him while he ate, he made it into our family room, and fell down and was unable to get up. He is a blood donor

at OSU. I called them and I had him there before 8:00 AM. Dr Kuoto cared for him. He had an MRI on Tues. May 15th. They said Zeus had a

DVT long suspected in Greys and other large breeds but never documented on an MRI. Zeus was at OSU until Friday in ICU.

It has been 3 long weeks but Zeus can not get up by himself and walk it is a delightful miracle for us, he had many people praying for him, as I

will do for your Alan. He is not steady yet, but he is improving everyday.

Please contact me if you wish. There is much more to tell, but way more than I can write.

Blessings to you both,

Karyl

Hi Karyl,

I can't pm you because you don't have enough posts on GT so I hope you came back and read this! I wanted talk to you before you left Friday but didn't get a chance. We have not had the MRI done yet on Alan...we were hoping he got better but it's not looking that way. He is learning to get along without his left rear leg but we constantly encourage him to use it. I think he may have to have the MRI Thursday. I am not familiar with DVT? They are saying Alan is suspected to have an FCE.

I am glad to hear Zeus is doing better!

suzieq

Guest Karyl

Hi Suzi,

DVT is a stroke, a blood clot. They thought Zeus had FCE until they did the MRI. If I hadn't had the MRI, Zeus would have recived the incorrect

treatment for DVT. So although it is very expensive it was a blessing to know exactly what we are dealing with. Zeus is still very unsteady, but

considering he couldn't even stand let alone walk 3 weeks ago, we are pleased. I don't know how long it will take for him to get stonger. He

was 81 lbs before the DVT and is now 67 lbs, I am sure at least 8 lbs is muscle mass alone.

I could e mail you his MRI, it is very interesting. I don't know if I can send and attachment on the talk site. This is all new to me I have never

used this site before. Barb Fields was telling me about Alan, and we sort of put two and two together and figured out it was you, that I saw

at OSU.

Zeus is on several medications, but we are slowly reducing one of the blood thinners.

I am very happy to have heard from you. It is a devasting thing to go through for the dogs, and us to watch them. We hold you all in our

prayers.

I live in Grove City not far from OSU.

Karyl

sending more prayers for Alan, Suzy! :hope :hope :candle:hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Those videos brought tears to my eyes...it's so sad to see him like this...I hope so much that there's a real

possibility of some kind of recovery...my very best wishes for you and sweet Alan!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

just wanted to add my prayers that the mri shows something fixable :hope :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Hi,

I just watched the last video and I think Alan is doing great! We've had dogs go through this so I know how well he's doing. :). The ones we had who were able to stand up recovered just fine. Only one didn't stand up again, but he had no deep pain responses. Having pain response is the key to getting better.

Good you're having the MRI to find out if it was a stroke or an FCE. I'll be waiting with baited breath to see the results. Whichever it was, the fact that he's up is very, very encouraging!

Marcia in CT and soon to be in SC

Sending more prayers and hugs! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest ss556

I'm so upset about Alan, but he's trying. Those videos made me cry and I'm praying real hard for a super recovery for him. Hugs to all.

Just read the update, sorry the news isn't better. You have been through so much in a short time, hopefully the next steps will be clearer in a day or two. Meanwhile, we are sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. A big hug to your boy (and you). Hope Alan does well with the swimming and acupuncture. :grouphug

Guest trevdog

Sending more prayers, hoping he heals up from his incident yesterday quickly and that the therapy helps him.

Hang in there

Guest grey_dreams

Your latest update really got to me. I am so very sorry for Alan and for you. How hard it must be for all of you. I am sending all good thoughts your way, and wish you the strength to carry on. I can tell you already have all the love you need to get through this with your special boy.

Guest Tenderhearts

Did you get my e-mail in regards to the canine carts? I had shared with you about two folks who have used them, the one in particular being a close friend whose GSH suffered an FCE at 11 years of age, and lived very happily and healthy till the age of 15. She had zero use of both back legs after the FCE. She could haul hiney pretty good with just the two front legs because there wasn't anything dragging in the back :)

Continuing prayers for all of you, and I know you are still raw from the loss of your sweet Katie Bug :grouphug :grouphug :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Edited by Tenderhearts