Hind End Sinking, Can't Stand - Happy Update Post 40

I'm waiting for the vet to open and get Tori in to see him. In the meantime, I wanted to check in with all of you to get any ideas you might have.

Tori is 14+ and has had a somewhat weak hind end for a while now. She can't do stairs anymore, can't jump in and out of the car, occasionally knuckles under, etc. However, it hasn't been bad and she's been pretty comfortable with the help of tramadol and meloxicam.

This morning I took her for her morning walk per usual (about 1/2 mile at her pace). I noticed she was limping on her right shoulder a bit, but other than that the walk was fine. No slower than normal, no knuckling under. It's a cool morning.

Got home and when she got inside she couldn't stand. The second she stands still her rear starts sinking. She's never done this before. She can walk, but her gait is suddenly very uneven. She doesn't like that she's sitting without wanting to and is getting agitated, so she's moving around a lot. It really doesn't look like she's comfortable at all. It's bad enough that if it had happened overnight I'd take her to the evet. As it is, the regular vet opens shortly and I'll be giving them a call immediately.

What I'm wondering is, is there anything we can do that might help her? What treatment options might there be? My poor old lady - her spirit is as strong as ever and it's been hard watching her body slowly give out on her :(

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending good thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hugs for you and Tori. Please try and find a Vet who has an I-therm machine. It's an ultrasound machine that is a little miracle worker. Non-invasive, painless, no drugs, relaxing and an excellent compliment to acupuncture.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

We couldn't get an appointment until 3:00, but I stayed home with Tori and she's doing much better. I'm still taking her in, though.

Unfortunately, acupuncture isn't an option for her - we tried it with her and she didn't do well with it. Disappointing as it did wonders for one of my other dogs that had chronic hind end issues.

I'm guessing we're going to end up with a wait-and-see, but if there is an update I'll post it.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Probably best to get a consult with a neurologist. If she has LS, which sounds like a reasonable possibility, Gabapentin and/or a muscle relaxer may be of great help to her. I would also consider having her shoulder x-rayed (maybe both shoulders for comparison purposes). The sudden worsening could be a result of a problem in the front leg that's causing her to bear more weight than she'd like on her back end, especially if you think you saw a limp. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Best thoughts for sweet Tori. I adore that photo of her.

Aston has LS, and started having sudden, ~30-second bouts of hind-end weakness so severe that he was basically squatting when he tried to walk. Acupuncture did help him; however, we also started a loading regimen of Adequan a few days later, and that was also the source of major improvement. He now gets Adequan about once every 6 weeks, and stands up much taller and much more steadily following treatment.

Please give her scritchies for us. :grouphug

Jenn - hugs for you and your beautiful Tori (love her sweet photo). :beatheart

I posted on April 3 (Sudden Geriatric Issues - sorry I don't yet know how to insert the link). You submited a reply to my post and referenced Tori.

Something similar happened with Lucy, 14-1/2+. She collapsed one morning - the hind end appeared to give out (she peed and pooped all over) and then she remained in her bed for the better part of several days. I fed her bedside as she wouldn't get up. Very stoic. No crying or whining. Cognitively, she was fine.

In Lucy's case, when she finally did get up she was limping (left front leg). I initially suspected hind end / back issues but then realized it was probably cancer in her shoulder or carpal area - and I tearfully said goodbye three days later. Going to the vet was extremely stressful for Lucy so I didn't even request an x-ray let alone subject her to further diagnostics.

I hope and pray for you that Tori's situation is less ominous and it sounds like she is a more receptive and cooperative patient than Lucy. I also took my original two hounds for acupuncture - which they did fine with. But if it's not for Tori ...

It breaks your heart to watch our hounds grow so very old and fragile. Sending positive thoughts your way. I'm sure you will do right by your sweet girl. :kiss2

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest LindsaySF

It sounds like LS. Sometimes when they are tired they do the squat or start sinking, but once they have rested they walk better again. LS is progressive, but a different medication might help with symptoms, or physical therapy.

WeGa've had two LS dogs. She may have strained the front leg in trying to pull herself upright without help from her back end. Even without that, the front legs compensate for the back and start having to bear more weight than is optimal, leading to strain. Hope it's nothing worse than that. Gabapentin, tramadol, and Adequan is what has worked at our house. There are other meds you can add if there are no special kidney issues. Hugs to you and Tori.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Quick update - we just got back from the vet. Her hind end was sinking a lot while we were there so I'm glad the vet got to see that. He did a thorough examination and an in-house TBD test. It came back negative but they're sending bloodwork out to a lab as well.

He feels that her issue is more pain related than weakness. She still has good awareness of her legs and feet, but he found a couple of reactive spots along her spine. He did an acute cold laser therapy treatment on her and we are adding gabapentin to her medication regimen. We talked about adequan as well, but he didn't want to throw too many things into the mix at once. As long as things stay ok, I'm to check in in two weeks and we'll see if we want to add in the adequan.

I'm hopeful that the laser therapy helped a little bit. She just climbed up onto the couch by herself and will snooze away until dinner.

Thanks so much for the advice and good wishes. We appreciate them both! :)

Cold laser helps Zuri a good bit when he's having trouble. He really likes having it done and always sleeps well afterward. :) Hope that and the Gabapentin are all you need. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jenn, sending along hugs for your sweet girl, it is horrible to watch there bodies age while there minds are still sharp.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

I had a 10 y.o. gh with a great spirit and the will to live. Only problem she had was the weak hind legs. She lost her muscle tone at age 3 when she was suddenly paralyzed but she did walk again. We did acupuncture and chiro on her for 7 years and I think it made a difference in her hind legs

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

More good thoughts for Tori!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I hope she continues to improve. I too love her siggy photo. :wub:

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown