Hind End Sinking, Can't Stand - Happy Update Post 40

Poor gal.

Our old boy was really bad the last year he was with us. He'd sink if he was standing for any length of time and it was always made even worse if he had been exercised. We saw it as a fatigue response... older dog, got tired quicker, couldn't stand for long. He responded well to laser therapy, electro-acupuncture treatments and massage, along with medications to keep him mobile. He also ended up eating his breakfast and supper laying down, which made it all the more comfortable for him (and for me.. since he'd sink while standing to eat which meant I had to hold his bum up during meals :lol ).

Maybe shorter walks are in order?

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tori continues to have trouble standing for long, give smaller meals more often, or consider bringing her meal to her while she's comfortably lying down.

And--in case you didn't know--gabapentin prescriptions can be filled at regular pharmacies, generally for less money than the vet has to charge. It's usually available as 300mg tablets or 100mg capsules. I always got the capsules because I could control dosing better. Also, gabapentin seems to work better if it's given in smaller doses more often, rather than a large dose just once (or even twice) a day. My old man was getting 800mg to 900mg a day; I usually gave him 200mg at meals, and he ate four times a day.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

This has been a tough week. My heart has been through the wringer. She's not in pain, her body just won't cooperate. I've finally convinced her to lay down to eat (not an easy feat) and she's eating with gusto. She has to be carried in and out of the house, which she hates, so we're leash walking in the backyard. She won't come to me if she knows I'm going to pick her up. I had a long talk with her this morning and it's clear to me that she's not ready to go. If she was tired and didn't want us to fight for her I'd let her go. But her spirit is still strong - she wanted to go for a walk this morning and was so excited to go for a car ride, even if it was to the vet for a shot.

After a tough night, but a much better morning, I spoke with the vet and we decided to try one last thing for Tori before we give up. We gave her a steroid injection to see if that would help. We'll know within 24 hours. If it works we'll be blessed with more time with her. If it doesn't, we'll know we did what we could. DH and I agree that she deserves that much.

She and I are hanging out together today. She's getting lots of yummy treats and as many trips outside in the sun as she wants. Please keep your fingers crossed for her.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Oh Jenn, I'm so sorry she's still struggling. A lot of people have had success with the steroid injection so I'm hoping that really turns her around. :grouphug:goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I so hope the injection works for your lovely lady. It is very hard when the spirit is willing but the body is not. Keeping you and Tori in my thoughts.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:grouphug I hope the steroid injection helps her. :hope:goodluck Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

The steroid shot seemed to help a lot! We got home and she slept without moving for about 5 hours, then was up and about. She's moving so much better and it's clear how much more comfortable she is. She's not back to her old self, but she's so much better than she was! She ate both dinner and breakfast and dinner with enthusiasm, not to mention the million treats we've been feeding her :wub: She's walking much more easily and can stand a bit longer before her rear starts to sink.

The only side effect I've seen is some extra thirst. Baby girl has a bladder of steel, though, and still slept through the night without having to go out.

I don't know how long this will last, but I'm so glad we gave her this chance. It's been a pretty happy morning around here :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

That's just wonderful news! Hope she continues to get positive results. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:yay So glad to hear it!

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yay!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:yay So glad to hear it!

Go, Tori, go!

Which steroid was in the injection?

I believe it was cortisone. I am amazed at the difference it has made. She's like a puppy again! We have to be careful as she doesn't seem to recognize that her hind end is still weak, so she wants to do everything RIGHT NOW! :lol She and I have had several disagreements now as she wants to go for long walks and run around the yard, while I'm trying to keep her quiet so she doesn't overexert.