Liquid orange diarrhea!

Both Angie and Kiva have had diarrhea for a couple days, but today it is liquid, and orange colored.  They were getting ground beef and rice, but today, we didn't give them anything.  We did give them an immodium this afternoon.I didn't know if this warranted going to the ER, so I feel like I'll wait till tomorrow, and call several vets to see who can see them the fastest.  Our vet is great, but it is a clinic, and you have to leave a message,  so it probably won't be them the girls see.

I see from a website that the orange color is sometimes caused by stress, and there has been some!  As a pet sitter, I do lots of live in jobs, and Doug is home with the girls while I stay in clients homes.  I went from a 4 day job last week to (2 days later) a 10 day job I'm in the middle of right now.  Coming home full time is not an option.  Plus, Angie fell on our 23 outside steps---we live on the second and third floors---and we are afraid that she will fall again and really hurt herself.  She is 13, and is an anesthesia risk.  So for her safety and our peace of mind, we moved her down to the first floor this week, where we used to have a tenant.  He is gone, but the apartment has not been really livable for quite a while.  Doug is gradually changing that, and is staying down there with both dogs most of the time.  But I can understand why this would be stressful for all of them!

At this point, we are all stressed and worried.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Your poor girls. Nancy, you've gotten some really good advice already. I just wondered if with the reno of the apartment that wasn't in great shape, if the girls might have ingested (by eating or licking) something that is wreaking havoc with their GI systems. Years ago one of my boys had some mystery nasty orange poop, although not quite to the extent that your girls do, but I'm blanking on the specific abx that was prescribed. If it comes to me I'll edit this post.

Good luck. It's such a worry when the hounds are feeling poorly. :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I've seen orange poop, but that was for a reason not relevant to your girls. I hope that both are soon feeling better and pooping brown. :goodluck 

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Might give them a substantial dose of kaopectate.  At least a half ounce or more/I squirt it down the back of their tongue with one of those giant syringes.  I worked at UGA Vet School for 2 years and they used it like water. It certainly shouldn't hurt them or interfere with any treatments the vet gives.  It does coat their insides and often helps and soothes them- at least until you can get to the vet.  

I would get them in to see someone as soon as you can.  If this had been going on for a day or less, you could try and wait it out a little longer, but this has been several days now of liquid diarrhea and I would be *very* concerned about them getting dehydrated and the effect of long-term gastric upset on their systems.

Remember to take in a sample of each girl's "production" when you go.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks, everyone!  Yes, I felt we had to see a vet today, and this morning, we got into the walk-in appointments at a vet we don't go to, but had seen  many years ago.  Kiva seemed a little better, but Angie was still liquid, and we were really worried.  We got stool samples (such as they were), and they were sent out. They'd just been tested and negative in June, but I guess anything is possible.  So they got Metronidisol, Panacur and Fortiflora.  Some canned ID, but I doubt that they'll eat it.  We actually had the vet help pill them before we left, since Angie has become a real pistol, and hard to do anything to!  This is going to be a battle, and very frustrating to get the meds into both of them, since the panacur and fortiflora have to be sprinkled on food.  Any suggestions?

We've wracked our brains trying to find anything in the apartment that could have contributed to this, but haven't come up with anything.  It could be partially stress, which makes me feel VERY guilty for not being there.  I've been doing live in jobs for years, and it's never caused this reaction, but Angie has become more easily stressed as she aged.  My poor girls.  I hope this will help them!

Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon

I hope both girls are starting to feel better. :grouphug 

Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

If I'm remembering correctly, and this was a Loooooong time ago, when Rocket had the same type of diarrhea he was diganosed with stress colitis. There was nothing we could pinpoint it to but it happened several times over the years. 

As far as the panacur, I think we sprinkled that on the food and it was fine - it actually helped to calm his stomach. Another option would be to put it in unflavored gelatin capsules and wrap the capsule in cheese or something else of high value (pill pocket, hot dog etc.) He ended up eventually being put on Tylan which we made capsules for. Tylan has a nasty taste so it has to be masked - sprinkling on food won't work with that. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

They are doing so much better!  We haven't had any problem pilling them with cheese or roast beef, which is good, because they are wanting to eat.  They even like the canned ID.

You know, I think this was stress colitis too!  Thanks for mentioning it.  I'm coming to the end of my live in job, and will be able to return home Friday evening.  I'll be glad to have a weekend at home where I don't have any jobs.

I did buy some Kaopectate, which I think is good to have around---hounds or humans!

Whew. I hope both girls continue to eat. And poop a more normal colour and consistency.

Vitamin RX CLAY- firms up poop even faster than pumpkin

stick with a simple white rice diet- some protein but rice that you can cook w/ chicken or bone broth. slow and easy with the food as they recover. 

and for your older dog- the webmaster harness is a god send. great mobility aid