Peggy's 14 1/2 now and on pain relief

JohnF

Hi, I haven't been on here for quite some time, so I just thought I'd let you all know that my Greyhound Peggy is still with us. She's suffering from arthritis and teeth issues plus some other symptoms of old age. We think she's probably too old to have a general for more teeth extractions (she doesn't have many left after 2 extractions a year and a half ago) so are hoping that the Loxicom, Gabapentin and 2 x 1.5 500mg Paracetamol tabs daily are keeping her sufficiently pain free. Sometimes she can wake up suddenly, shake her head violently, and paw at her face with tail tucked, so it's important the the pain relief is kept topped up. She still wants to go out on little walks even though she has to be lifted into the car when not reversed against a raised pavement, not least because the Gabapentin can make her a bit wobbly.  But she's still eating a quality soft canned dog food supplemented by pulled cooked chicken breast, and is managing to maintain a weight around 24 kilos now (down from 30 in her prime), which is probably beneficial for the joints.  So it's a day at a time and trying to be mindful about noticing how well the pain relief is working. Those who have been lucky enough to see their greys reach old age will probably know where I'm coming from. If you'd care to share some of your coping strategies it could be helpful.

Lovely to hear from you. It sounds like Peggy is doing very well overall and you are doing all you can to keep her comfortable. 14.5 is wonderful! It must be all those long walks in beautiful countryside over the years.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Awww, sweet old girl!

Lila made it to 14.25 and those last few months were tough, probably more for me than her. She was on Previcox and Tylenol for pain and had issues with her back legs. I knew I didn’t want it to get to a horrible place for her so I was constantly assessing how she was doing. The best thing I did was work with a palliative care vet. I don’t know if those are common in the UK. Having a plan for end was important to me and to have someone who was able to come to my house for euthanasia. Making the decision of what is the right time is not easy. I think all you can do is put her needs before yours. :grouphug

Give Peggy a smooch from me.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

IMO, finding a schedule for meds and food, and sticking to it as much as possible, makes it easier to stay on top of pain and to monitor when it needs to be increased.  Instead of daily/hourly reacting to seeing her in pain and giving more or having her drugged up from too much at a time.  Also, talking with your vet beforehand about incremental increases you can make without discussing it with them beforehand when it does becomes obvious she needs an increase.

I agree with Jerilyn about seeing if you have access to a hospice program can be very helpful.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I was thinking the other day that you hadn’t been on for a while so its nice to hear from you. It sounds like Peggy is doing well for her age, although it’s inevitable that there will be some issues. I can’t help with advice but wish you as many more months together as possible 

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Thanks for the update.
:beatheart
Sounds like you have a good schedule for Peggy and are very aware of any medication changes that she may need.

We are very lucky to have a Vet who will come to our home….

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

2 hours ago, greysmom said:

I agree with Jerilyn about seeing if you have access to a hospice program can be very helpful.

That sounds like something I might need to look into, she's still on insurance and they'll pay part of it. If she went off her back legs I'd know I had to let her go, but at the moment there seems to be a positive balance to her quality of life.  She went for a little walk in the park late this afternoon, probably just under half a mile slowly. We stopped to look at a big old tree that had just been cleared after the storm brought it down.

Peggy park tree 2sXXX.jpg

:wub: Peggy :wub:     Like you, I have found that those little walks with an old dog do a lot to maintain strength and mental stimulation.   Experts write that including gentle hills in the walk, instead of trying to keep it all flat, is helpful.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter