Dog memorials/displaying ashes

NeylasMom

I hope this isn't too morbid. Hoping people would be willing to share photos of how they display their dogs' urns if you had them cremated. I haven't found the perfect spot for mine since moving to my new house. And I'm torn between putting them in a "public" place like my living room versus somewhere more private like my bedroom.  

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

What I ended up doing is taking a small portion of ashes from each dog and mixing them together, them putting the blend of ashes into a wood casket that sits on the mantle in my living room. The rest of the ashes are buried separately in the back yard. I have a tag or something similar for each dog in the casket. I also have one for all my cats.

This isn’t for everyone, but with multiple dogs and cats, this works for me.

Although keeping the ashes is not for me, what about putting a sample in a small bag and putting it behind a framed photo of your dog. Visitors wouldn't then be freaked out by the urn but you would know the secret.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

We only have Rocket's ashes. They will eventually be taken to a place he loved going to  in the Midwest and spread there. We haven't gotten back to the Midwest since we moved and that;s the only reason they are still here. 

For now his ashes are in the nice wooden box provided by the crematorium with his collar and tags sitting on top. Those tags, and the tags of the others who have left us will all go into that box once the ashes are out of it.

We decided not to keep the ashes of the others as we didn;t want to have a collection of those boxes or urns, and each of those dogs came to us fairly late in their lives. They each had a couple of fantastic years here with us, but we don;t have a place here to spread the ashes, and none of them had that favorite place anywhere like Rocket had in the Midwwest.  I hope that makes sense and doesn;t sound too cold, but each of those dogs is still here with us every day without having the ashes. They all left their mark here. (and apparently lots of fur.) 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My in-laws kept their cat’s ashes in a wooden box on the mantelpiece for a while. It was a lovely decorative box but with no indication to an outsider what was in it. I think they scattered the ashes when they felt ready. I’m not sure but I think the ashes were bagged inside the box to prevent any spillage if the box was accidentally knocked because it was a hinged lid.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Jen, I don't have pictures readily available, but I have the three boxes from the dogs I've had as an adult (I just lost Sammy in September) on a shelf in my living room. I didn't like the boxes provided by the crematorium, so I purchased different custom boxes for each dog. Those boxes are engraved as I desired and two have a space for a picture. I decided to put them in the living room because that's where I wanted them. If it bothers anyone else, they don't have to visit. Being able to see them when I'm working makes me feel better.  I also have each dog's tags on the shelf next to the boxes. I have also kept each dog's favorite toy, but I have them in my bedroom closet.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

9 hours ago, MandysMom said:

Jen, I don't have pictures readily available, but I have the three boxes from the dogs I've had as an adult (I just lost Sammy in September) on a shelf in my living room. I didn't like the boxes provided by the crematorium, so I purchased different custom boxes for each dog. Those boxes are engraved as I desired and two have a space for a picture. I decided to put them in the living room because that's where I wanted them. If it bothers anyone else, they don't have to visit. Being able to see them when I'm working makes me feel better.  I also have each dog's tags on the shelf next to the boxes. I have also kept each dog's favorite toy, but I have them in my bedroom closet.

same here.  Rainey's and Nube's ashes are actually in my kitchen (sealed of course!) with the collars they were wearing when we let them go.

Larry and Zeke sit next to me on the side table right next to me here in the living room, also with their collars and the nice pawprints that the Evet had done ( I can even see Larry's corn impression in his :wow ) on top of each urn.  Our first 3 (non-greyhounds) are also in the living room not 10' from Larry and Zeke.  I spend 99% of my time in these two rooms so they all are very close.

I agree, if it bothers anyone that's their problem.  I want them close to me. :) 

large.20200806_131852_resized.jpg.420534722c08fcbbadfde9b1a4153be9.jpg

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Both of mine are in decorative tins from the crematorium (in plastic bags) with their tag collars looped around.  At first I had them on my dresser, moved them to the living room mantle, and now they are on the top shelf of my curio cabinet. Their paw prints are also with the tins.  I don't care if anyone would be offended. The dogs were part of my family and if I want their ashes near in my own home, that's what I'm going to do.  I buried my cats and other dogs (very small) in my garden at the last house. I regret not being able to have them with me now.  So going forward, I will always have the ashes near me.   I will probably change out the tins for something nicer later on. 

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

No photo description available.

Here are our memorials for Beka and Breeze.   Their pictures are in the back,  on top of their boxes are gifts that we received when they passed- Beka's is a lovely crystal from WFUBCC and Breeze's was a commissioned sculpture given to us by our friends at greyhound playgroup.  Their paw prints are on either side with their tag collars around them.  I also have my collection of angel statues around them. It may seem over the top, but it makes me smile when I see it.

Kathy

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.