Nose pad for muzzle

What's the best thing to pad the upper inside edge of a plastic basket muzzle?  Gelsey has a thing for plastics.  Evidently there are only two choices for muzzle fit -- 1) loose enough for her to get off, and 2) tight enough to rub a little hole on her schnoz in one day.  I remember that heel pad stuff called moleskin --  moleskin pads

Anything else?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

You can buy moleskin with an adhesive backing, often in small sheets that you can cut to size.

I have splints for my arthritic thumbs and it works very well to pad one are that rubs. The adhesive is super sticky and stands up to the abuse my hands give it here on the farm. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Yes, moleskin works really well!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I used those round cosmetic sponges, like the ones you use for foundation or blending.  Couple of drops of superglue and you're set.  They rinse out really well too so they don't trap dirt and smells.  Used them in the kennels all the time.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

moleskin or rolls of insulating foam sold at homedepot. we had some left over from insulating around the garage door. it's 1.5" wide and has adhesive on one side. it made the muzzle very comfy and sured up the fit. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-3-4-in-x-7-16-in-x-10-ft-Black-High-Density-Rubber-Foam-Weatherstrip-Tape-R734H/100047977  i'm sure you local hardware store has something like this.

I've used moleskin successfully but I like the makeup sponge idea and the split insulation idea as well.  Nate came from the kennel with a regular kennel muzzle that has a built in foam padding in it, color coordinated with the muzzle. There is no maker's label on it, though, so I don't know where to tell you to purchase one.  Anyone here know who makes these? 

This is not what I have--which is just a standard kennel muzzle with a soft pad--but this available.  http://www.muzzlesforgreyhounds.com/kenel-kosy.html

I think padding a nice kennel muzzle will work better and be less expensive.

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

This is what I've started using

Double Padded Irish Coursing Muzzle

It is padded very well, but it's also much lighter weight, so tends not to rub.  And it seems to stay on a bit better than a US basket muzzle.  Plus it has an integrated stool guard.

You can also buy felt with adhesive backing, but I don't think that would stand up to washing and wear very well.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

31 minutes ago, greysmom said:

This is what I've started using

Double Padded Irish Coursing Muzzle

It is padded very well, but it's also much lighter weight, so tends not to rub.  And it seems to stay on a bit better than a US basket muzzle.  Plus it has an integrated stool guard.

You can also buy felt with adhesive backing, but I don't think that would stand up to washing and wear very well.  

These are what we use as well.  Hounds have had no chaffing or other irritation.

I've had good luck with _padded_ moleskin; the flat stuff not so much.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)