Sunday morning at A+E

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the Health and Medical forum but it's here now

Grace decided she no longer wanted one of her rear toenails and so tore it off when chasing a squirrel in the enclosed paddock at my local park. I didn't realise she had done this until we got home and there were spots of blood on the blanket in the back of the car. I had a look when we got inside and noticed one of her toenails was missing and bleeding slightly (notice I said slightly) so out with the cotton wool, medical tape and and old sock. Grace now patched up lay on her bed waiting for breakfast.

Breakfast ready, she stood at her bowl and started to bleed profusely through the dressing. I removed it to see blood being pumped out of her toe. Time for a call to the emergency vets. Shutting Grace in the kitchen because it has a tiled floor I rushed upstairs to phone the vets (poor phone signal downstairs) but no answer. Back downstairs grabbing an old towel and bundled that with Grace into the car and a quick-ish 10 minute drive to the emergency vets, praying they were open, I carried a bleeding dog into reception.

Grace is now sporting a nice white bandage with paw prints on it, my kitchen floor is now clean after looking like an abattoir and my wallet is going to be a lot lighter.

And the reason the vets weren't answering the phone? The computer system was down so no phones and no bill...yet!

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Oh, Grace!  Next time you want a manicure consult with mama first.  😘 Good thoughts for quick healing. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

We all dread spending the $$$$ at the emergency vet but we are so glad they are there when we need them.  Get well soon, Grace, 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Buddy has done this too. He loosened it first and it bled quite a lot, limping for a few days until we noticed it :wacko: then he tore it off completely while he was scratching the floor after a wee.  Suddenly all better! I hope Grace makes a similarly speedy recovery :goodluck

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Yikes!

I hope Grace's recovery is uneventful.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Poor Grace.  Did the vet think it will grow back?  Do you think she'll leave her bandage alone?

Congreytulations on your newly clean kitchen.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Update:

Grace is doing fine. She's been carrying on as if nothing had happened, not even chewing the bandage.

I had to remove the top part of the dressing as the young vet had vet wrapped her leg nearly to the top and it was to tight round her hock so she couldn't walk comfortably.

The only thing she wasn't keen on was going to her own vet yesterday to have the dressing changed but as she is healing that well that they haven't replaced it with the instruction that she's not to lick it. (A bit of strategically applied bitter apple sorted that out. :D) They also expect her nail to grow back.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time