FARTS! :x

Moo

It's a good job I don't smoke because I'm at risk of the house going up in flames with the gas coming out of my grey! :sick Is there anything I can do to sweeten the air coming out of him? Do things like probiotics work? He's been on the same food the rescue gave us since coming home (Naturediet), which seems to work for him well in terms of stools, just not so much farts. x__x

I've read about pumpkin puree being good, but aside from Halloween pumpkins are impossible to get in the UK, so that's out of the questions. :( 

Is this just my life now? Toxic fumes every day? :blink: :lol:

:lol yes! We started giving Buddy Olewo carrots which helped to firm up his stool and had the added bonus of reducing his toxic emissions but he can still clear a room with one guff. They are eye-watering at times. We have tried all sorts for him, including probiotics, but he still has spells of pure stinkiness. He farted once while we were watching The Madalorian. It coincided with a space ship door opening, which on Star Wars is often accompanied by the sound of gas being released so I didn’t notice until I sat up into his fart cloud 🤢.

His tummy might still be settling from the upheaval of moving to a new home so give it a couple of weeks to settle. If his stool stays firm, I would be tempted to stick with the food he’s on and put up with the farts.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

12 hours ago, Moo said:

I've read about pumpkin puree being good, but aside from Halloween pumpkins are impossible to get in the UK, so that's out of the questions. :( 

You can get tins of pumkin puree in the UK if you want to try it.

If you want to change his food then try the kibble from The Greyhound Trust which I found helped in reducing Grace's gaseous emmissions :fart and if you buy more than one bag you get £5 off each bag and free delivery. https://greyhoundtruststore.com/products/pet-greyhound-food

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I’ve given probiotics to all my Greys and have gotten excellent results over time controlling the noxious emissions.  I use Fortiflora made by the Purina company.

Have you had your dog tested for internal parasites?  Hookworms in particular can cause terrible gas. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

On 11/11/2020 at 6:25 AM, HeyRunDog said:

You can get tins of pumkin puree in the UK if you want to try it.

If you want to change his food then try the kibble from The Greyhound Trust which I found helped in reducing Grace's gaseous emmissions :fart and if you buy more than one bag you get £5 off each bag and free delivery. https://greyhoundtruststore.com/products/pet-greyhound-food

Oh that's great! I didn't know they did their own food. Do you have any recommendation between which to get, the chicken or the fish? My lad isn't a fussy eater, just wondering if one has certain nutrients the other doesn't, and also the fish isn't quite as heavy at 13kg vs the chicken at 15kg. But if the fish is worth it I'll happily try it. 

No advice, just a memory.  Back in the early years of the Iraq war, a man posted that he had spent months in Iraq looking for weapons of mass destruction and found none.  Then he came home and found weapons of mass destruction in his home courtesy of his new greyhound!

10 hours ago, Moo said:

Oh that's great! I didn't know they did their own food. Do you have any recommendation between which to get, the chicken or the fish? My lad isn't a fussy eater, just wondering if one has certain nutrients the other doesn't, and also the fish isn't quite as heavy at 13kg vs the chicken at 15kg. But if the fish is worth it I'll happily try it. 

Nutritionally they are the same. Why not buy one of each and see which he prefers?

I pit a few pieces in Grace's bowl with some hot water to form a gravy before letting it cool and adding the rest.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 1 month later...

If your dog has bad gas all the time it can be due to many different reasons or combination of reasons.

I know you're in the UK and you're not having the issues with drug resistant hookworm that we are here in the US, but the first thing to do is a fecal test for parasites.  In fact, if he hasn't been to the vet for his wellness check yet, get that scheduled.  Ruling out medical causes first is usually the easiest.

He could be still settling in, and anxiety can cause gas in more anxious dogs.  It may go away on his own, or it may not.

A pre/pro biotic will help.  Dogs get gas for the all the same reasons as people do, so balancing gut bacteria can eliminate that source.  FortoFlora is the gold standard, but it's expensive and needs a rx from the vet.  In racing kennels (here) they often get buttermilk or goat's milk added to their food.  Yogurt (full fat, low sugar, and check for artificial sweeteners) can also be helpful if your dog isn't lactose intolerant (many are), but it takes a few weeks to  start working.  There are numerous OTC powders and supplements out there, so ask your vet, ask your fellow greyhound owners, what works for them.  We use NatureVet Digestive Enzymes with very good results.

Olewho carrots can help with many issues.  They are almost pure fiber, with some nutrients, and adding fiber can decrease gas.

Finally, he could be intolerant to either a protein or carb source in his food.  Once you have cleared him of medical causes, and you want to try and (slowly) switch his food, choose one with different protein/carb sources from what he's eating now.  Remeber to include whole grains, not legumes, to insure his heart health.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

bad gas- stool sample to vet and see what's cooking. also ask about pancreatitis or food. you pup might need a less rich food.it can be as simple as food- try boiled rice and chicken or beef broth and only 20% of a protein(ground beef or ground turkey/chicken).   i found that carrots, pumpkin, probiotics all have their place but not a true cure.f gas doesn't subside it might be time for either flagyl to clean up the gut. only your vet will know. KEEP IT SIMPLE! and trust your vet or find one you trust.