Walks after amputation

What is your experience with walks after front leg amputation? How long did it take for your dog to adjust? Did you use a boot, wrist support or a front wheel cart? I have a 9 year old female that gets stir-crazy without long walks (~1h). She had surgery 4 weeks ago, healed and started chemo 10 days later. Now that she is off pain meds, she wants to walk but we have been keeping her walks short (10-15 min) because she is having trouble walking, especially on uneven surfaces or downhill. I have been taking her on car rides instead. The oncologist is not letting us see the physiotherapist until after she is done with chemo.  

Walks are harder on front leg amps than back legs.  They need to go a little faster because they use momentum to help them walk easier.  It looks and feels scary to us, but she just might need to go faster.

A support harness might also help you help her a little more.  Do a search here for "front leg amp support harness" and you should come up with several threads to read through for suggestions.

Lastly, I would let her self regulate her walks as much as you think appropriate.  They will tire her much more quickly than before so shorter walks will likely be enough.   We also did in home canine massage and water therapy with our amp dog to help keep his muscles loose and toned.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No more hour walks. No matter how much you work her she'll never do that again. I had a 9 and 12 year old front amp. Both extreemly happy afterwards. But it is harder for them so they use up all their energy much faster. 

She'll be just as content after whatever length she works up to.  My 12 year old only made it up to 15 minutes. I think Tanzi was able to do 1/2 hour. But I found off leash areas so she could do her own pace, stopping and going at will.

Thank you for your posts. I understand what you are saying but when she gets a short walk, she could whine for hours to go again, and we are trying to figure out how a way to keep her less frustrated. We may try front wheels for her.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted in some years now, but Twiggy was a good precursor for your girl.  Twiggy had osteo at 6 years old.  She had a front leg amp (left), and her share of issues after including a massive stroke 3 or 4 years later.  Twiggy loved her walks and she was a high energy girl.  She ran me ragged around the neighborhood for hours nearly every night for years after her amp, even when she was on chemo.  She was also clocked on radar running 37 mph just weeks after her amp, and again just before her 11th birthday.

Gauge your girl's energy and limitations, have a plan if you get too far & she can't make it home (we never needed it even with 3-hour walks).  

I did everything I could to let her have the life she wanted after osteo, and she wanted a LOT!!  Her adventures were legendary and marvelous.  Twiggy never wanted help, refused to use a harness/sling, etc.  A lot of dogs aren't this determined to live to that extent, but if they are, it's amazing to see it unfold.

The point to my story, is let her live the life she wants.  She doesn't know these new limits set on her life, she only knows what she wants right now.  She will need some limits, but she may be capable of more that you think.

Twiggy made it just shy of 6 years post-amp for osteo, and the cancer never came back.  The wear and tear on her tripod body eventually took its toll.  I would like to believe she preferred living to the fullest versus living a quiet boring life for a little time longer, but I could be wrong. 

https://forum.greytalk.com/forum/13-cute-and-funny-things-greyhounds-do/    I am not sure if this link will work, but it is on of my favorite posts of Twiggy's post-amp adventures.

Sorry, link did not work.  Post was on July 20, 2013 and title was How To Spend A Day At The Beach

Edited by TwiggysMom
link was not available

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Hi Wendy! :wave

Here's your angel Twiggy. https://forum.greytalk.com/topic/303425-twiggys-6th-gotcha-day/?tab=comments#comment-5616673

She will always be an inspiration to other tripods.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:beatheart  Twiggy

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

2greysdad, our girl Beka is 6 1/2 months post amp and had six rounds of chemo, finishing 2 months ago and she now enjoys 30 minute walks, twice a day.   She gets tired, but she loves it.  Plus, as Chris said, she needs to go a little faster because the momentum makes it much easier for her.   She goes into a trot, which is a run for me!   I let her have as much sniffing time as she wants, since it gives her a little rest between trots (and runs).   She also runs in the house, chasing our other grey through the hall, living room and dining room!   It just takes time for them to build up the stamina for longer walks (and runs).

Twiggy is definitely an inspiration!   I met her years ago at GiG and was so impressed.   I thought of her often after Beka's surgery!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

oh Twiggy!!! :kiss2  there will NEVER be another like you.  EVER.

2GreysDad, no advice, just hugs and glad your girl is doing so well after her amp!  :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thank you all for your suggestions and good wishes! TwiggysMom, Twiggy's story is an inspiration. Ginny looks so much like Twiggy in the pictures (except she is missing the wrong leg). She lives for her walks. Running in the yard is no substitute. She is still frustrated because we cannot go her usual routes but she cannot walk very long yet She takes very frequent breaks and just stands for a quite a while. We ordered the front wheels for her. Hopefully they will allow her to enjoy longer walks. 

ginny2_zpssi3skdhu.jpeg

ginny5_zpsgdopn9yf.jpg

2greysdad, where did you get the front wheels that would fit a greyhound?

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Bowie had her front right leg amputated when she was 9, also.  I did take her for walks post amputation and during chemo, but they were short and I tried to keep her on grass.  She was a BIG girl and that was a lot of weight on that remaining leg and paw.  I tried a variety of harnesses, but none of them worked very well, they would all twist around her.  The one from Roughwear was the best, but it has a lot of fabric on it, not good for walking when it's warm outside.  I'm puzzled as to why your oncologist didn't want her to go to physical therapy during chemo.  I did make walks shorter around chemo, I let her decide if she wanted to go for a walk or not on chemo day and the day after because she would be tired.

Have you visited the Tripawd site?  There is a ton of information on there and they keep it up to date.  If I can find the exercises and stretches Bowie's oncologist wanted me to do with her I'll scan them and send them to you.  Not sure if I'll be able to find them, but I'll try!  We moved in October, so finding things is "fun".  

Bo made it 2 years and one month, she was a tough happy girl.  I miss her terribly.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014