Crate Dimension

We are (were) about to about a greyhound from a new group (our old one no longer exists). She is a small female. We spent time with her yesterday to make sure she is fit for us and we are a fit for her. After the visit, we got an email asking if we had all the extras needed (coats, leash, crate, collar, dog beds). We've had 3 greyhounds in the past so we have all the gear except for the collars, which I couldn't bear to have around after Kitty died. We get a follow up email asking the size of the crate. Our is 48Lx 30Wx 33H. We get an email this morning saying that it must be 35H with photographic evidence (picture and tape measure). I thought that size was for a large male. I admire that the group is looking out for their greyhounds, but can someone please explain this to me?

gallery_17856_3310_663.jpg

Isabella and Bunny da Kitteh, Angel Kitty da Hownd, Angel Cocoa, Angel Bodhi, Angel Cali, and Angel Remy

35" is ridiculous. The standard crate height in a racing kennel is 32".

A standard door is 6' 8". There are many people today that are 6' 6" or taller today. If you figure in the door jam and a person wearing sneakers most people 6' 6" have to duck a little going from room to room. Nobody thinks the minimum door height should be raised.

This group is doing their dogs no favors by making someone like you either buy a larger crate or not adopt a dog from them. Some people have no clue since minimum crate size is regulated by the state for racing greyhound kennels and I know of no state that the minimum is 35"

Honestly, it sounds like a group to run as fast as you can from. Not easy to do when there's a hound that you can give a great home to, but their micromanaging BS is just that, BS.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Gee. 2 inches. A small girlie should fit in there no problem. It's been a while since I measured my crate though. Will they not offer to loan you one of theirs under the circumstances? Unfortunate to throw away an opportunity to home a hound over two inches that surely small a girlie would fit into and a family with previous experience.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Most of my crates are 30" tall (40-42" long), except for my large male's crate which probably is close to 35" tall. My low-average sized females are perfectly content in this size of crate. They're about 26" at the shoulder, so yes, they do have to duck their heads a little in this height of crate, but they spend almost zero time standing so it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't be horribly impressed with a group that is going to nitpick that much on a minor detail like 2".

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

We thought we could compromise with them. We agreed to get the larger grate, but we wanted to pick her up this Saturday because we both have 13 days off from work and we wanted to start acclimating her as they don't foster any of their dogs they just have a kennel, however the crate was not going to be her until Monday. This was still a no go for them. They would rather have her spend 2 days in the size crate she has been in for 7 years then send her to a good home. It is not like we were saying we would never crate her. We know she has never been alone and we had planned on making that a part of the training so we could circumvent any separation issues. We have decided to go with a different groups. Seems like the cruelest bait and switch possible. No information on the website about this mandatory requirement and we had started falling for this sweet 7 year old.

Isabella and Bunny da Kitteh, Angel Kitty da Hownd, Angel Cocoa, Angel Bodhi, Angel Cali, and Angel Remy

That is such a shame. Sweep, about 60 pounds at the time, slept overnight in a 42x28x30 crate the whole first year we had her. She could turn around easily and often chose to just go chill in there. We'd often find her full-on roaching in it. What a disservice this group is doing to this girl, and to you. I'm sorry, and hope everything works out smoothly with the new group. :(

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

:catscat:f50::POed:headbang

Probably for the best that you're steering clear of them and another houndie will soon find it's way into your hearts and home.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

:yay

That's the trouble with common sense, it's not that common.

And...what is the compromise?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

While kvetching to a neighbor about the situation another neighbor was getting their mail. This neighbor recently lost their Saint Bernard who has a massive crate and they let me borrow it until my came from Amazon.