Bald Thigh

Guest Myca

After taking Dangit back due to his high prey drive, I was shown a coming two year old who also passed the cat test. He has clean bald areas on his thighs, his back haunch, each side of muzzle. He has erupted skin with hair loss on belly, parts of back and tail. Should I keep looking? Does this sound like years of medical bills?

Edited by Myca

My first Greyhound came to me with bald thighs, neck and belly. Good food, salmon oil and 5 mg. of melatonin daily took care of that.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Bald thighs (well bald places) are super common and nothing to worry about. Each side of the muzzle is a little different though. I wonder if it's from rubbing his racing muzzle on his face. Do you maybe have some pics? This might easily be cleared up though with a great diet, some Omega Oils, a nice bath and brush and a loving home! Sadly, he might never grow fur back on his legs, belly, etc., but the face as I said is a little different. Did you notice any dander? This is not surprising from a dog right off the track. "Erupted skin" also doesn't sound that great, but I would think it is something manageable once under control and he's got a full vet check. Hard to tell without seeing the legions/wounds.

For what it's worth, I've had great luck with something called Dermoscent to help skin/fur. It's expensive, but the first box might really really help enough to get the skin healed up and fur growing in.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Most of the time it's just kennel acne, and clears up on its own, or with a gentle otc skin cleanser.

As long as he's eating well, not overly skinny (healthy), and his poops are good/ok, it shouldn't be a long term health issue.

I know you feel a little snake bit right now, but don't go looking for problems that don't exist! :shakefinger There isn't a perfect dog!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Not looking for perfection. I have never seen a rash or hair loss pattern like that. So I looked it up first, saw the bald thigh and decided to inquire further here. I did not know if I should avoid it or not. I really like the puppy. He has personality plus! He is solid black. Very charming. Like Dangit is. We are going back to see him Monday.

You might get some some answers about the dog here. Adopters are always on there asking about their new pup.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/470273329733654/?ref=direct

There are many breeders, kennel owners and trainers on this site. Usually someone knows the dogs posted. If you know the dogs racing name, or can find out the name, someone on that site might be able to tell you if the dog was like that at the farm or in the kennel.

Good luck with your new pup.

Dick

Can you adopt conditional on your vet's examination of the dog?

ETA: The way I read this, the concern isn't only the bald thighs, but the rash and bare patches in other areas also. Possibly easily cleared up as someone has suggested, but it's always good to know what you are dealing with up front, in order to make an informed decision.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Carl had bald thighs, a vet suggested melatonin. It really worked, he ended up with a thick pelt on his neck, thighs filled in - not completely, but mostly, same with his chest. I have him at night, it never changed his energy level, etc.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Carl had bald thighs, a vet suggested melatonin. It really worked, he ended up with a thick pelt on his neck, thighs filled in - not completely, but mostly, same with his chest. I have him at night, it never changed his energy level, etc.

Melatonin is like Rogaine for Greyhounds (and other breeds). If you stop giving it, the hair falls out again. Gave it to my first Grey for 11 years with no ill effects and am giving it to my present Grey for her bald thigh syndrome.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I didnt know about Melatonin either. Dosage?

I give 5 mg. daily at dinner. Just toss it in with her food.

If you did not see my other post, we brought the cat in only to find out Dally had been put on the list to be shipped to Canada. While we were there, we saw Dangit. They asked me if Dangit had any trouble 'with his back end.' He didn't at our house. When I went back there he jumped up as soon as he heard my voice and pressed against the kennel for scratches. Made me very sad.

10 mg. per day. Do not use the flavored chewable ones, unless you are totally sure they DO NOT contain Xylitol!!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

If you did not see my other post, we brought the cat in only to find out Dally had been put on the list to be shipped to Canada. While we were there, we saw Dangit. They asked me if Dangit had any trouble 'with his back end.' He didn't at our house. When I went back there he jumped up as soon as he heard my voice and pressed against the kennel for scratches. Made me very sad.

Awh. :(

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Let ‘um be bald. Melatonin can in fact encourage hair re-growth but, I would be hesitant to use it when only for strictly cosmetic reasons. Melatonin is in fact a hormone and while a rather benign drug is not without side effects.

Does this mean the pup you wanted to adopt is going to Canada?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Let ‘um be bald. Melatonin can in fact encourage hair re-growth but, I would be hesitant to use it when only for strictly cosmetic reasons. Melatonin is in fact a hormone and while a rather benign drug is not without side effects.

One side effect is sleepiness.

How would anyone tell with greyhounds?? :)

My two Greys have not experienced any side effects from melatonin. Although I do give it with dinner, it does not seem to cause sleepiness. Of course, I always consult our vet before I give any supplement or medication to my dogs.

My two Greys have not experienced any side effects from melatonin. Although I do give it with dinner, it does not seem to cause sleepiness. Of course, I always consult our vet before I give any supplement or medication to my dogs.

I couldn't tell if it made mine sleepy. :)

Is it just the regular 5mg melatonin that you can get in the people vitamin section?

Just curious. Mine just have the regular kennel bald spots, except Hobbes who wasn't a track dog. He has a full coat everywhere.

I couldn't tell if it made mine sleepy. :)

Is it just the regular 5mg melatonin that you can get in the people vitamin section?

Just curious. Mine just have the regular kennel bald spots, except Hobbes who wasn't a track dog. He has a full coat everywhere.

Our vet says large dogs like ours can take up to 6 mg. I give 5 mg. of Solgar brand melatonin which can be purchased just about anywhere that sells vitamins including Amazon. I use Solgar because my own doctor recommends the brand. My dogs both had typical Greyhound bald necks and thighs which resolved with good diet, grooming and melatonin.

Edited by LaFlaca