Hookworm!

cgs

So would there be anything wrong with just keeping him on advantage multi forevermore? I see comments about length of treatment with a view to eventually stopping the advantage multi. Maybe thats in places that you need to use monthly heartworm preventive so would prefer to go back to a single monthly? I had been using bravecto for fleas so I could just use this instead and also treat and prevent worms..

Edited by Simonsays

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My goal is to put Lola back on Trifexis for heartworm and internal parasite control once this hookworm nightmare is over.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

So would there be anything wrong with just keeping him on advantage multi forevermore? I see comments about length of treatment with a view to eventually stopping the advantage multi. Maybe thats in places that you need to use monthly heartworm preventive so would prefer to go back to a single monthly? I had been using bravecto for fleas so I could just use this instead and also treat and prevent worms..

I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping them on the advantage multi forever. The HG+ is just so much easier for us and less of a bother for the dogs. Either way, I need to keep them on a year round heartworm preventative. I usually only add a topical for fleas and ticks about three times a year.

Crap. I just started the prison protocol and plan to keep Lola on it for six months; Drontal (136mg), 1.5 tabs and an application of Advantage Multi on the same day every two weeks for 6 months.

How long did you keep your dog on the protocol?

I don't remember exactly--maybe 3 rounds of panecur and drontal? I think the panecur was for giardia. I think I may try panecur again. I'm not sure if people are having better luck with panecur or drontal.

We, we just tested a low positive again, so we are going back on the three week cycle again. Negative at the end of June, so July 1 AdMulti was at 3 weeks, and then Aug 1 AdMulti was back to monthly. Positive again today at about 4 weeks out and just prior to the next dose on Saturday.

Advantage Multi today and Drontal Plus tomorrow for her, repeat in 3 weeks again, test again 3 weeks past that (6 weeks out) and repeat if necessary.

The boy gets the same but with panacur instead of drontal, because he takes the liquid panacur better than her over the three days. Plus it will be interesting to see if one performs better than the other.

Gradually the host will run out of eggs, but the number of eggs or severity of the infection will determine the length of treatment.

I hope this is true. When we first started treating her, she bled a lot in her stool. By the end, she had no blood on the final rounds. This apparently was a good sign because it indicated that there were fewer adult hooks in her pumping in blood thinning agents and then detaching when killed.

I've lost track, has anyone had success eradicating hooks by following the prison program protocol to the letter?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

We, we just tested a low positive again, so we are going back on the three week cycle again. Negative at the end of June, so July 1 AdMulti was at 3 weeks, and then Aug 1 AdMulti was back to monthly. Positive again today at about 4 weeks out and just prior to the next dose on Saturday.

Advantage Multi today and Drontal Plus tomorrow for her, repeat in 3 weeks again, test again 3 weeks past that (6 weeks out) and repeat if necessary.

The boy gets the same but with panacur instead of drontal, because he takes the liquid panacur better than her over the three days. Plus it will be interesting to see if one performs better than the other.

Ugh PaddysDad. I look forward to hearing about the drontal vs panacur experiment. I think I'm going to start panacur again. I've just been doing AdMulti. But Percy had an upset stomach--eating grass--last weekend and again today. He's had nothing but kibble to eat and small milkbones. No people food for about 2 weeks. I think it might be the worms.

I give it for 3 days right? Then wait 3 weeks and give again? (I don't feel like calling the vet.)

Also, is there a better/cheaper way to get this than panacur c or a good place to get panacur c?

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/322685-hookworm/page-7?do=findComment&comment=6068498

page 7 of this thread, post 132, PaddyDad posted a bunch of links, including a liquid version of Safeguard/Panacur

This is what I also switched to afterward.

Thanks. I'm copying the relevant part here:

Merck Safeguard (fenbendazole) -same ingredient as Panacur:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a liquid suspension, for which you will need a measured syringe (usually free at a pharmacy if you ask politely for an oral medicine syringe [no needle])

-to get the correct dosage for dogs, this works out to 1.1ml per 5 pounds of dog (works out to 110mg fenbendazole /5lbs, same as the powder package dosage)

so a 75lb grey / 5lbs = 15

15 * 1.1 = 16.5ml daily dosage

(1ml = 1 cc, depending on how your syringe is marked)

-I can do an 85 pound grey and a 60 pound grey on one bottle for three days with about 25% left over. -all for about $24. One eats it mixed with the food and the other takes it squirted (slowly) down the throat.

PaddysDad, how did you get the 1.1ml per 5lbs of dog figure?

This site says "According to Susan Stack, (see reference below) a veterinarian practicing in Yuma, Arizona, cattle Safeguard is exactly the same product as horse Panacur suspension (10% Fenbendazole), and both are also made by the same manufacturer (Hoechst). The canine dose of the horse Panacur suspension is 1 cc per 4 pounds given daily for three days. This means a 60 pound greyhound gets 15 cc,"

Your calculation would be 60lbs/5=12*1.1= 13.20.

Do you know/remember where you got your calculation?

The bottle itself says it's 100mg/ml, which is .1 gram/ml. The panacur powder dose is 8 grams for a 70lb dog, which (according to the panacur box) is 222mg/g of actual medicine. So 222mg/g*8g=1776 mg. 776mg/100= 17.76ml. If I do this same calc for a 60lb dog, I'm back to PaddysDad's calculation or thereabouts. (222*6g panacur=1332mg. 1332/100=13.2.)

I guess there's a range on the powdered panacur. 61-80lbs gets 8grams of panacur powder. So I guess variations in the liquid dose don't matter too much. I think I'm thinking too much and doing too much math.

I haven't had her retested. I'm assuming she's fine. She had one day where she had an upset stomach and loose poop, but my husband had given both dogs some hotdogs the night before and both were sick. She can usually eat anything.

Thanks. I'm copying the relevant part here:

PaddysDad, how did you get the 1.1ml per 5lbs of dog figure?

This site says "According to Susan Stack, (see reference below) a veterinarian practicing in Yuma, Arizona, cattle Safeguard is exactly the same product as horse Panacur suspension (10% Fenbendazole), and both are also made by the same manufacturer (Hoechst). The canine dose of the horse Panacur suspension is 1 cc per 4 pounds given daily for three days. This means a 60 pound greyhound gets 15 cc,"

Your calculation would be 60lbs/5=12*1.1= 13.20.

Do you know/remember where you got your calculation?

The bottle itself says it's 100mg/ml, which is .1 gram/ml. The panacur powder dose is 8 grams for a 70lb dog, which (according to the panacur box) is 222mg/g of actual medicine. So 222mg/g*8g=1776 mg. 776mg/100= 17.76ml. If I do this same calc for a 60lb dog, I'm back to PaddysDad's calculation or thereabouts. (222*6g panacur=1332mg. 1332/100=13.2.)

I guess there's a range on the powdered panacur. 61-80lbs gets 8grams of panacur powder. So I guess variations in the liquid dose don't matter too much. I think I'm thinking too much and doing too much math.

I had a pack of powdered Panacur or Safeguard at the time and calculated the amount of Fenbendazole in the correct dosage for my dog. I then converted that amount of Fenbendazole into the proper dosage of the liquid for a 60 lb dog and for an 80 lb dog as validation, then broke it down into 5lb increments. It looks like you did the same above. The 1.1 isn't exact, but it is to the tenth and my 58lb grey is getting 13 ml of the liquid. I also found another calculation online that was almost identical, but a bit more ballparked, at 1, which might shortchange a heavier dog. Greys and goats do not take the same dosage, so the instructions on the bottle are invalid for greys. Differences may be based on how big of a range the dosage covers (70-75lbs, vs 60-80lbs) on the source material. I tried to be reasonably accurate, but I am open to correction.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Avisher224

I just wanted to share some positive news! I took Maverick's stool sample for the 3 month check and it was negative! So now we're just staying on the Advantage Multi and doing an extra dose of Ivermectin every other month til his next check. Turbo should be ready for his 3 month check in a couple weeks so fingers crossed that he's also negative!

Happy Dance. After 8 months of positive hookworms we have 2 months clear. Soooooooooooo after fostering him for 1 year to the day, I signed the papers! How could I not. I know his quirks, he fits with my other 3 dogs and he is beautiful.

So good to hear! Congratulations!! :-)

I just wanted to share some positive news! I took Maverick's stool sample for the 3 month check and it was negative! So now we're just staying on the Advantage Multi and doing an extra dose of Ivermectin every other month til his next check. Turbo should be ready for his 3 month check in a couple weeks so fingers crossed that he's also negative!

Yayyy!! Good luck and keep us posted!

Well this is fun. We have had Tessie since Labor Day of 2017. She had hooks when we got her. Treated with Panacur several times, had two negative fecal tests in December and February. Haven't tested since then, since her bowel movements have been fine and since she had not one, but two negative fecals. We also faced a winter in Denver, plus moved to a new house. I took her in for her annual appointment last week and she tested positive for hooks. Not a huge infestation, but "a handful" (I think maybe 3-4) on the slide....so I think that's maybe a 1+ or 2+???

We also just got an airedale puppy. Gabby was born 7/1/18 and is from a breeder in Arkansas (hot and humid). Her first fecal at 9 weeks old was negative. With Tessie's positive hook test, we took another sample in from Gabby this week and that one was positive. She's now 11 weeks old.

We are treating both dogs with two doses of Panacur. If that doesn't work, we will try the Advantage Multi/Drontal protocol and see where that lands us. I also just ordered Wondercide for the yard. With a puppy and a dog door it's impossible to keep them from pooping in the yard, though we will try to reduce it as much as possible and clean up as quickly as possible, with a minimum of twice a day.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Avisher224

More good news today- Turbo's 3 month fecal was also negative! He's following the same protocol as Mav and will test again in 3 months but I think my boys may FINALLY be in the clear! There is hope of getting rid of these nasty buggers!

If the panacur doesnt clear them up this round, Im going to move Tess to the advantage multi/Drontal plus rotation, every two weeks.

Ive been spraying wondercide in the spots where they have pooed, every time I pick up (twice a day or when I see them go - we have a dog door).

I hope the panacur worked for the puppy. We will know on Tuesday.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)