Hookworm!

cgs

I've been treating Lola for hooks, on and off, for almost a year.

So far, it seems to have worked, but I will be retesting in about a month, and staying on the Advantage Multi for at least another 3 months even if the next test is still negative.

I know how frustrated I was when Turbo's came back and that was only after three months

Vet said we could be dealing with this for many more months, years or for the rest of her life.

My plan once Percy is negative is to switch him to Heartguard Plus.

Just wondering how everyone is doing? I haven't been on in awhile and this thread seems to have died. I hope it due to good news all around.

We just got our second negative on Cita and she has been on the Advantage Multi/Advocate monthly since the first negative. Hobbes is back on HG+ and Carlos has been on HG+ the whole time. The dogs have had no interactions with other dogs since starting treatment, and I haven't transported any greys for anyone since this whole thing started. Cita is the only candidate of the three to have had larval leak. The other two have been here for some time, so Hobbes probably picked up his hooks from her and was treated easily.

It's been blowing up here locally according to a number of vets and some of the volunteers from the adoption groups. Derby and Sanford seem to be the hotbeds, but admittedly this is anecdotal and not scientific. It appears to be an issue before the dogs are entering the various prison programs, so although someone suggested these programs as a common thread, they are not very likely to be the source.

I also treated my yards twice with the wondercide. I don't know if it helped, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My foster since Sept 2017 finally got a clear 2 weeks ago. Vet is continuing Advantage Multi, 5 doses of Panacur and 2 .1 ml ivermectin. We repeat in 2 weeks then fecal test. He tested 3 mo ago negative but had relapse. This is a 5yo male from Derby . I was concerned my 9yo was getting infected but tested negative. I figured he was given too many rich treats at a M&G at an RV show.

Lola tested negative on August 14th and had her first application of Advantage Multi that same day. We’ll retest in one month. The vet went to the VIN website (for vets & vet techs only). She says she searched

Greyhounds and hookworms and got multiple hits all about the current super-worm problem. Advantage Multi , Panacur and Drontal seem to be the preferred protocol but it can take months to finally get 3, consecutive negative fecals.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Everything seems good here with both of them, We retest the new one next Friday. The vet says to retest at between three and four weeks since the last treatment to give the hooks time to come back if they are still there. There are no noticeable signs like there were last time they returned and both dogs are still on the Advantage Multi monthly.

I am not as put off by the Advantage Multi as I was with Frontline or Advantix. It doesn't seem to stay a s oily as long or bother the dogs as much. I may pick up another box before going back to the chewable just to be safe even if I get another all clear. The adoption agency is still treating and streeting unfortunately. There is too much pressure to just move the dogs these days.

I'm planning to retest Percy in the next week or so. Last fecal was low infestation--1-10 or something like that, vs the earlier 11-30. But I fear it's gotten worse. He's been gassy and licking his butt some, which he doesn't normally do.

I'm planning to retest Percy in the next week or so. Last fecal was low infestation--1-10 or something like that, vs the earlier 11-30. But I fear it's gotten worse. He's been gassy and licking his butt some, which he doesn't normally do.

I've heard other people give these counts on the tests, but when I asked my vet about it, he said the numbers really can't be taken as accurate, since another test from the same sample can easily show very different results depending on each sample and where the worms might specifically be in the stool.

Can anyone enlighten me further on this?

I think it's just literally the number of worms they see in a sample, whatever "sample" means. I don't know if they look at one smear or several or dig through the whole mess or what. I really think something's gotten worse with Percy. His stool isn't as good, even with dehydrated carrots, and he's been gassy even though he's not eating anything except kibble for the most part and he wasn't gassy before.

I've heard other people give these counts on the tests, but when I asked my vet about it, he said the numbers really can't be taken as accurate, since another test from the same sample can easily show very different results depending on each sample and where the worms might specifically be in the stool.

Can anyone enlighten me further on this?

The count you are referring to is the number of Ova (eggs) counted on the fecal float. It really can vary as your Dr explained-it’s depends on if mamma worm was shedding eggs at the time of fecal collection and the amount of mamma worms doing so.

Hi, my guy was diagnosed with hookworms. Vet ordered interceptor 3 doses 2 weeks apart and okd me ordering in advantage multi. Hes also on flagyl for a week. Anyone have experience with using interceptor? We dont have heart worm where I live so its not a preventative Im used to. Also what is the best way to treat the yard? Ugh hope this doesnt turn into an ongoing battle. I think he caught it from some new adoptees from Florida.

Hi, my guy was diagnosed with hookworms. Vet ordered interceptor 3 doses 2 weeks apart and okd me ordering in advantage multi. Hes also on flagyl for a week. Anyone have experience with using interceptor? We dont have heart worm where I live so its not a preventative Im used to. Also what is the best way to treat the yard? Ugh hope this doesnt turn into an ongoing battle. I think he caught it from some new adoptees from Florida.

Just use the advantage multi. No need for the interceptor. Need to use the AM for a minimum of 3 months before it becomes a steady state in the body.

What worked for me was 6 days of panacur and on that 6th day give a dose of strongidt with the panacur. They have a synergistic effect with each other-repeat in 2 weeks and continue monthly applications of the AM.

Simonsays,

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this also.

Sure, had experience with interceptor when I had my mutts. No problem. The hookworm in greyhounds I believe is way different unfortunately. The adopted mutts never had parasites. Hookworm is uncommon near me. Hopefully it stays that way.

Cant give any treatment advice for the yard but if you search the threads some have listed products they have used. It honestly is a tough ongoing battle. It has gotten less rough by treating aggressively with dewormer. I find it frustrating there are still no solid solutions for this.

Check this out:

https://www.wondercide.com/outdoor-ready-to-use-natural-pest-control-for-yard-garden

https://blog.wondercide.com/hookworms/

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Vet approved the use of Drontal every 3 weeks for 3 consecutive months along with monthly application of Advantage Multi. :goodluck

Percy's test came back moderate again. Last time it was low. I thought we were heading in the right direction. I know one test isn't an accurate picture, but things did seem to be getting better with his poop. It's gotten worse again, which is why I tested again. Just a totally random thought, but there's so much research going on with the microbiome in humans--gut bacteria. I wonder about in dogs. Percy seemed better and then I started training class, so he was getting more high value people food treats, but just boiled chicken, plus my husband started giving him some people food after dinner at night. I've cut that off again. I was giving marshmallows for recall training. The hooks live in the gut right? I'm going to cut off people food again and just stick to kibble and a few small treats (because my husband can't be stopped, lol.) I wonder if there's any research on diet and worms.

Percy's test came back moderate again. Last time it was low. I thought we were heading in the right direction. I know one test isn't an accurate picture, but things did seem to be getting better with his poop. It's gotten worse again, which is why I tested again. Just a totally random thought, but there's so much research going on with the microbiome in humans--gut bacteria. I wonder about in dogs. Percy seemed better and then I started training class, so he was getting more high value people food treats, but just boiled chicken, plus my husband started giving him some people food after dinner at night. I've cut that off again. I was giving marshmallows for recall training. The hooks live in the gut right? I'm going to cut off people food again and just stick to kibble and a few small treats (because my husband can't be stopped, lol.) I wonder if there's any research on diet and worms.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I don't think there's a connection between what the dog is fed and hookworm infestation (unless the dog is eating his own infected feces or that of other infected animals). Hookworms feed on the blood of the host.

Has anyone had any luck getting rid of the hooks with just Advantage Multi? This is what my vet recommended after consulting with a parasitologist. I was told it could take 6-12 months and it's been 5 months and seemingly no progress. I'm wondering if I should just be patient and continue on with the Advantage Multi, or if I should go with a round (or 2) of panacur or drontal now that steady state should be built up to deal with larval leak.

Has anyone had any luck getting rid of the hooks with just Advantage Multi? This is what my vet recommended after consulting with a parasitologist. I was told it could take 6-12 months and it's been 5 months and seemingly no progress. I'm wondering if I should just be patient and continue on with the Advantage Multi, or if I should go with a round (or 2) of panacur or drontal now that steady state should be built up to deal with larval leak.

My vet suggested the same, however, after continuing to get positive fecals I pretty much insisted on using the more aggressive prison program protocol. Thankfully, the vet agreed.

Did it work? I have completely lost track of who's hook free and who isn't. I started with the prison protocol, but it didn't work. Maybe it would work now that we should have "steady state" in the larval leak problem.

Did it work? I have completely lost track of who's hook free and who isn't. I started with the prison protocol, but it didn't work. Maybe it would work now that we should have "steady state" in the larval leak problem.

I went on the prison protocol shortly after you started this thread and posted it, but on a three week interval until the negative, then just Advantage Multi monthly. I had tried the usual and the hooks kept coming back. We just got the second negative on the newest dog who was the source of the hooks here. She is still on the Advantage Multi, and I think now that I will keep her on it for the rest of the year regardless of her staying negative.

Hobbes also tested positive for hooks, which he could have picked up at an event or from Cita. Not larval leak, so he cleared faster, but still after multiple treatments and using Advantage Multi. Carlos, my oldest has been on HG+ the whole time and has not had an issue with hooks, and went one round of dewormer just in case. Carlos did not attend any GH events.

I also have two separate fenced yards, so kept the positive and negative dogs separate during turn out times, and picked up everything every time. I have also kept the dogs home and away from other dogs except for a few trips to the vet.

My vet has switched up his protocol a few times this year and is now advising Advantage Multi with Panacur every three weeks until the dogs are negative, and then Advantage Multi monthly for 6 months afterward. Subject to change as new information comes in. He said that so far they are running about 65-70% success which may improve as time goes by.

Edited by GreytXpctations

I went on the prison protocol shortly after you started this thread and posted it, but on a three week interval until the negative, then just Advantage Multi monthly. I had tried the usual and the hooks kept coming back. We just got the second negative on the newest dog who was the source of the hooks here. She is still on the Advantage Multi, and I think now that I will keep her on it for the rest of the year regardless of her staying negative.

Hobbes also tested positive for hooks, which he could have picked up at an event or from Cita. Not larval leak, so he cleared faster, but still after multiple treatments and using Advantage Multi. Carlos, my oldest has been on HG+ the whole time and has not had an issue with hooks, and went one round of dewormer just in case. Carlos did not attend any GH events.

I also have two separate fenced yards, so kept the positive and negative dogs separate during turn out times, and picked up everything every time. I have also kept the dogs home and away from other dogs except for a few trips to the vet.

My vet has switched up his protocol a few times this year and is now advising Advantage Multi with Panacur every three weeks until the dogs are negative, and then Advantage Multi monthly for 6 months afterward. Subject to change as new information comes in. He said that so far they are running about 65-70% success which may improve as time goes by.

How do you know that Hobbes did not have larval leak? Is there a way to tell?

Crap. I just started the prison protocol and plan to keep Lola on it for six months; Drontal (136mg), 1.5 tabs and an application of Advantage Multi on the same day every two weeks for 6 months.

How long did you keep your dog on the protocol?

How do you know that Hobbes did not have larval leak? Is there a way to tell?

I have had Hobbes for a couple of years now and this is the first time he has had hooks. He had a couple of low positives which were probably new infestations that never really took hold. Larval leak dogs are coming off the track like that, due to hooks not being effectively treated over a long period of time. Cita came to us with hooks and the larval leak situation.

From what my vet has said, some of the hook eggs hatch when the adults are killed off, so if the dog is full of hook eggs from prolonged infection, every time that you kill off the adults, a new batch of larva is released, to eventually become egg laying adults. The cycle is broken when the active ingredient in Advantage Multi (or Advocate if buying from overseas) builds to a steady state in the body (which is how it works against fleas) and the newly hatched larva get killed off when they attach to feed before reaching egg laying age. Eventually your dog will run out of resident eggs to hatch, and the leak is stopped, so to speak. The reason for increasing the dosage to two or three weeks is so that the Advantage Multi gets up to steady state in the body faster.

When products say they control adult hookworm, this apparently means that they kill off the feeding adult hookworm, but do nothing else for eggs or roaming larva. So while your dog may have had a lifetime of a monthly dose of ivermectin, if it has had a major infestation of hooks, it may be full of eggs which just hatch every time the latest batch of adults are killed off. Since the usual ivermectin dosing is monthly, and the hook life cycle from egg to egg laying is 3 weeks, it will become very unlikely that the ivermectin can keep up. So while the adults are killed off -or controlled. There are more than enough eggs to replace them.

This is my understanding as well now. I think that the regular treatments and preventatives just wipe out the adult population and the monthly cycles of things like HG+ still allow for a week of adults to mature and lay eggs every month, building up in the system. The Advantage Multi builds up to a steady state in the body so that when the larva or juvenile hooks latch on to feed, they are killed before they get to the egg laying stage. Gradually the host will run out of eggs, but the number of eggs or severity of the infection will determine the length of treatment.