Hookworm!

cgs

How long after applying Advantage Multi can I wash off Percy's fur?

From the manufacturer website:

"We recommend bathing BEFORE applying product. The product can be applied once the pet is towel dried. Shampooing 90 minutes after treatment does not reduce the effectiveness of Advantage Multi® for Dogs in the prevention of heartworm disease. Shampooing or water immersion 4 days after treatment does not reduce the effectiveness of Advantage Multi® for Dogs in the treatment of flea infestations. However, shampooing as often as once weekly may reduce the effectiveness of the product against fleas. Please use a pet shampoo that is soap-free."

Personally, I found that the fur went back to normal 2 or 3 days after the application so haven't had the need to bathe her.

We leave it alone for the full four days, then if there is still residue, we just wipe with a warm damp cloth and that seems to do the trick. I am very careful applying it, usually in a double row down 3/4 of the back on just each side of the spine. That way it isn't heavy enough in one spot to really be much of an issue. We also have a bunch of old sheets we lay out where the dogs lay for the first few days after treatment just to keep it from getting on stuff. To be honest, I hate the topicals and look forward to saying good bye to them in a few months if I can.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all, just wanted to share some good news! Maverick has done two round of our vet's protocol (see my original posts for full details- Advantage/Panacur/Ivermectin) and he had his first negative hookworm test on Tuesday! We're doing another round (our vet recommends two negative tests in a row before backing off treatment) but hopefully we're on the right track. We'll test Turbo next week, but fingers crossed that he'll be negative too.

Fabulous! Stay negative you guys.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Great news avisher!

PaddysDad, I just wipe with a damp cloth too, but have done it later the same day or the next day because I can't stand it. At least in our case, it doesn't get on anything--he sticks to his beds.

Guest Avisher224

Agreed- I don't like topicals at all but it seems to be doing it's job! My preferred method is to apply it just prior to the dogs' last potty break for the night- they go to bed right after that, so if it gets on anything, it'll just be their beds (which I haven't noticed any issues with, I have a super sensitive nose so if it were getting all over the place, I'm sure I'd smell it!) That way, it's dry enough by morning that it's past the point of rubbing off on anything else.

Also, wanted to add my experience on the food question.... Turbo had pretty consistent puddle poop since I got him (even when we thought he was hook free) and Olewo Carrots have worked wonders! Still a little on the soft side but no more puddles, WAY less stinky gas and he has a lot less dandruff too! Both the other guys have done fine on Science Diet so I didn't really want to mess with switching foods until we get the hooks cleared- if he still has issues then, I may experiment but right now I'm just chalking it up to those nasty little buggers!

I had used the carrots for a while, but then he started trying to eat around them.I was actually thinking of trying them again because I feel like his coat isn't as shiny as it was.

I had used the carrots for a while, but then he started trying to eat around them.I was actually thinking of trying them again because I feel like his coat isn't as shiny as it was.

Mine did the same, began to eat around the carrots. We've been using a dollop of yogurt mainly because he likes it. His poop is still awful by the end of the day. He is shedding badly lately and has dandruff. Hard to say if it's the diet or some of the heavy thyroid meds he's taking.

Cita quit eating all of her Iams, so I switched her and Hobbes over to Ekanuba large breed after finishing the last deworming. I may just leave them on it for good, and find something new for Carlos. I was hoping to put them on whatever I found for him if it worked, but still haven't found a new food yet. Someone suggested Rachel Ray Just 6, which is a low protein, limited ingredient lamb based food, which ticks all the boxes for him, but I need to look into it a bit more before attempting a switch. I am not ready to deal with potential runs yet again.

Hook wise, the last treatment went ok with no side effects. I have both yards treated with the Wondercide and will do yard 1 again this weekend weather permitting. Stool sample into the vet next week before the round 3 of treatment. Hopefully it will be clear and I just need to use the Advantage Multi. Carlos has stayed clear through all of it on HG+. Right now, everyone has a nice shiny coat, is at good weight and looks healthy.

Guest Avisher224

YES- we got Turbo's first negative (after he got re-infested) today! Fingers crossed that it's just one more round for the both of them and we'll have this kicked!

You guys that have done the Wondercide treatment- is it easy to do? I'm considering trying it after we get them both negative to make sure we kill anything lingering in the yard.

More good news, Avisher224!

Hopefully all that good news will be contagious.

I think LaFlaca used the hose sprayer for the wondercide, but we used the concentrate mixed with water in a one gallon garden sprayer (the pump kind), that I already had. It was very easy to do this way. You just set the nozzle to a fan spray and pump up the sprayer for pressure. It really smells like cedar.

Edited by GreytXpctations

YES- we got Turbo's first negative (after he got re-infested) today! Fingers crossed that it's just one more round for the both of them and we'll have this kicked!

You guys that have done the Wondercide treatment- is it easy to do? I'm considering trying it after we get them both negative to make sure we kill anything lingering in the yard.

YAY for Turbo! I used a hose sprayer with the Wondercide concentrate. It is super simple to do.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the third round of the Advocate/Panacur treatment yesterday. The yard had been treated with the wondercide twice now, and the dogs have had no visible sign of hooks now for weeks. I am hoping that the third time is a charm and this is it. No one seems sick or distressed. Stool is firm and consistent. Activity and general health seem normal.

Fingers crossed. Testing in three weeks for Cita.

I finished the third round of the Advocate/Panacur treatment yesterday. The yard had been treated with the wondercide twice now, and the dogs have had no visible sign of hooks now for weeks. I am hoping that the third time is a charm and this is it. No one seems sick or distressed. Stool is firm and consistent. Activity and general health seem normal.

Fingers crossed. Testing in three weeks for Cita.

Same here. Finished 4th round of Panacur one month ago. Treated yard twice with Wondercide. Picking up poop almost before it hits the ground! Going to the vet on the 27th for vaccinations so will test again then. Lola seems hookworm symptom free so... :goodluck

I'm thinking of having Percy tested again, even though the vet said not to bother for 6-12 months. I'd like to see if we're making progress. Others here seem to get ride of the worms in a shorter time-frame. It's been 2 months since he was last tested and 3 months since we started treatment. Seems like longer.

I was having issues with his poop after opening a new bag (new formula) IAMS. Olewo carrots have made his poop really good. But it was really bad without it, so I may switch back to Kirkland, which was better without it. I still have a large bag of Kirkland. Or maybe I'll try something else.

It seems like a long time here, even though we've only been on the Advocate/Panacur protocol for 6ish weeks (3 rounds). But then again, were ran the traditional treatment of 2 rounds of Panacur, then two more of Drontal before starting this newer treatment, so it really has been a long time.

It is too bad that these companies keep messing with their formulas. I have two of mine on Eukanuba and it is working great, but sounds like I just switched from Iams in time to avoid a repeat of the situation that Diamond Naturals put us through. Eukanuba is a Mars food, like Iams and Nutro and others, so I feel like I might be on borrowed time here still.

If you didn't have good luck on Kirkland, then you may want to try something else rather than go back to it. There has to be something better for Percy out there. Also, keep track of anything else that he is eating. Even treats or chewys can cause the soft stool if the food is ok.

Meanwhile, I am still looking for a new food for Carlos, who has stayed hook free this whole time.

We are testing for hooks again at three weeks after the last treatment. That way if she is positive, we can start the next treatment on the three week cycle still. If not, we will just go back to the monthly cycle with Advocate alone for three months until it is gone, retest and switch back to HG+ if still all clear.

Same here. Finished 4th round of Panacur one month ago. Treated yard twice with Wondercide. Picking up poop almost before it hits the ground! Going to the vet on the 27th for vaccinations so will test again then. Lola seems hookworm symptom free so... :goodluck

:goodluck

Here's hoping.

My reasoning for going back to Kirkland is that Percy's poop has been really good on IAMS + Olewo carrots, even though it was pretty bad on IAMS alone. So I figured if it was decent on Kirkland alone, then Kirkland + carrots would be even better than it is now. Though really, what he has now is fine. Even in the afternoon, I can usually pick it up log by log and it holds together. Sometimes it's too soft for that and I have to try to scoop under, but it's still formed. it would be great to find a food where he doesn't need the carrots, but Kirkland + carrots is still cheaper than a lot of other foods. Purina Pro Plan doesn't have dried beet pulp, so I'm hesitant to change to that. It's also higher protein. But no fruits and veggies.

Guest Avisher224

Guys, more good news to report!! Both my boys have had two negative fecals in a row! We're moving on to "phase 2" of the hook protocol, which is to continue with Advantage Multi once a month for the next three months and also do one more round of the Panacur/Ivermectin combo on month two (then test again to check progress in month three). I know this is not a quick process by any means, but i'm encouraged that three rounds of the treatment took my guys down from 5+ to no hooks... let's just hope we can keep it that way!

cgs, I can definitely relate on the food issue... it is a little annoying to have to buy the carrots on top of food but if you think you're going to keep that up to keep the poop situation under control, I'd recommend buying the 11 pound bag of carrots on Amazon. It seems insane to spend $70 on a food supplement for a dog but if you're going to keep using it for a while, it's a good deal pound for pound. I actually had ordered a smaller size after our initial test bag and my husband canceled the order and just reordered the big bag. I've been giving to to Turbo every day for the last two month and I'm only between three quarters and halfway through the bag. I may start seeing if I can cut back on them now that I know we're getting the hooks under control and see if that was the source of the tummy trouble but he also has had WAY less dandruff since we started using them so we'll see- he may keep getting at least some in his dinner. Also, he does sometimes pick out his kibble and leave the carrots in the bottom- I can usually get him to eat them with a little encouragement (ie, I present him with his bowl of carrots and he thinks he's getting a treat LOL) but if he's being extra stubborn and i really want him to eat more, I throw a spoonful of plain yogurt in with whatever is left and mix it all up- he slurps it down every time!

I do the yogurt thing too when I think he's left too much behind. Usually now it's just a little bit and the little dog comes in and does cleanup. Percy has actually had more dandruff lately. We gave him a bath Monday, so that may have dried out his skin and made it worse.

Glad to hear about the neg fecals! I'm wondering if my vet's protocol will work--Advantage Multi only. Two rounds of panacur and 3 of drontal did nothing.

Avisher224, I am so glad to hear that Turbo And Mav are in the clear still. That is great news about all the negative fecals for everyone.

We are bringing in our samples today. It has been three weeks since the 3rd treatment of Advantage Multi and the Safeguard, so we are also hoping for a clear. We also tried the Wondercide with one treatment of the entire back yard and a followup over the area where they poop.

If they are clear, we will go to three months of Advantage Multi on a monthly schedule, which conveniently lines up with July 1st. If not, we stay on the full three week regime.

I still have both my pups on the Eukanuba Large Breed. I am limiting treats and very careful as to the type of treat (Paddy doesn't tolerate sweet potato very well). Perfectly formed and firm stool every time. I am ready to do a commercial for them, after having to dig out every poop on the other food.

Guys, more good news to report!!

All clear for both dogs!! It has been a long 6+ months.

Thank you cgs for starting this particular thread with all the information compiled at the beginning, and LaFlaca for the info on the Wondercide, and everyone else who chipped in!

What worked:

3 rounds of:

Day 1 - Advantage Multi/Advocate

Day 2-4 - Safeguard/Panacur

each round starts 3 weeks apart.

Picking up the poop when it drops, even if you have to dig it out of the grass.

Keeping your dog away from potential (re)infection sites like M&Gs, pet stores, and other events with fresh from the track dogs.

What didn't work:

Safeguard/Panacur (3 day course) by itself on a three week cycle with or without Heartgard Plus

Drontal by itself on a three week cycle with or without Heartgard Plus

We are going to go monthly on the Advantage Multi for three months (in place of the Heartgard Plus that we suspended when starting the Advantage Multi) and retest again in mid-August.

All clear for both dogs!! It has been a long 6+ months.

Thank you cgs for starting this particular thread with all the information compiled at the beginning, and LaFlaca for the info on the Wondercide, and everyone else who chipped in!

What worked:

3 rounds of:

Day 1 - Advantage Multi/Advocate

Day 2-4 - Safeguard/Panacur

each round starts 3 weeks apart.

Picking up the poop when it drops, even if you have to dig it out of the grass.

Keeping your dog away from potential (re)infection sites like M&Gs, pet stores, and other events with fresh from the track dogs.

What didn't work:

Safeguard/Panacur (3 day course) by itself on a three week cycle with or without Heartgard Plus

Drontal by itself on a three week cycle with or without Heartgard Plus

We are going to go monthly on the Advantage Multi for three months (in place of the Heartgard Plus that we suspended when starting the Advantage Multi) and retest again in mid-August.

Huzzah! What a mission. So glad it's over.

Huzzah! What a mission. So glad it's over.

Us too. It was very heartening to read of your successes as they came in. A few months ago we were all in the same boat.

That nasty business with the Diamond naturals formula change certainly didn't help matters either.

My newer boy tested positive for hookworms this spring after being negative last fall. He's having thee doses of Strongid, two months apart. I live in Mass so, his heartworm med was stopped over the winter which could explain the re-occurrence this spring after being off the heartworm med. I did spend quite a bit of time talking with the vet about this (he's very greyhound-savvy) and one of the issues with unresolved hookworm infestations is that it causes inflammation which over time could lead to things like PLE and IBD. He strongly suggested using a probiotic to re-establish the normal flora in the gut. He also suggested making sure that the dog has fiber - my dog gets cooked oatmeal every day so that is not so much of an issue. I have noticed that the probiotic helps to keep the poop firmer so, others might want to try that. The probiotic that I have been using that I really like is the Nutramax Proviable-DC - this was recommended by another greyhound owner.

Us too. It was very heartening to read of your successes as they came in. A few months ago we were all in the same boat.

That nasty business with the Diamond naturals formula change certainly didn't help matters either.

We're going to test again on the 27th, just for my own peace of mind, when I take Lola in for vaccinations. I'll let you guys know the results.

So this is gross. I clean up poop in the backyard by scooping it with a scooper and putting it in a small trash can in the yard. Twice a week, I take the trash out. The last couple of times, I have noticed little worms in the trash. Are these hookworms that have hatched out of eggs in the poop??? So gross. But if so, it means he's nowhere near hook free and seems like maybe we've made no progress at all. I don't recall seeing these before--just the last couple of times. They're little pale worms, maybe a quarter inch long. Maybe I didn't notice before. At first I didn't realize they were worms. Still, they're pretty obvious and it seems like I would have noticed.

Maybe theyre maggots? Time for a visit to Dr. Google to see what a hookworm looks like. Even when Lola tested positive I never saw worms in the poop-can or in her feces on the ground.

Edited by LaFlaca