Decrating, Or Maybe Uncrating? Giving Your Hound His Freedom.

Hi All -

We've had our dog 13 weeks now. When we got him, the adoption group made us promise to crate him when no one was home to ensure his safety. All family members work or go to school, so he is in the crate from 8-3 most weekdays. We're coming up on the busiest season of the year for our family, where both kids play evening sports 1 to 2 nights a week. I don't want to "recrate" him 2x in the same day. I'd like to begin to give him his freedom. He has never pooped in the house. He had a few accidents when we first got him, but he "gets it" now.

I'd like to hear experiences from anyone who formerly crated their hound but now give him the run of the house. What worked, what didn't? Looking forward to the advice.

Thanks!

Start slow and baby gate him in one room for short errands (30 minutes). Make sure the room does not have anything that he can get to that would hurt him (chocolate, glass, remote controls). See how he does after 3 to 4 of these errands and if OK, leave him for longer (2 hours). Keep this up until you work up to the 7 hours.

I've never crated my dogs and all is fine. Sometimes I muzzle them when I go out to keep my house (and them) safe, but they've always been able to roam the entire house.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Most dogs do eventually transition out of a crate to being free roam. I take my cues from the dog. I recently stopped crating my 5 year old - she previously loved her kennel, but when we moved houses the only logical place for the kennels was in the basement and she just doesn't seem to like it even though her niece is crated right beside her. She still gets lots of practice in a crate at agility and other sports so that's fine. So now it's just Kenna crated in the basement and Kili and Summit free upstairs, though Kili has to wear a muzzle because she's not entirely trustworthy.

I do think it's important to still periodically crate dogs though to make sure they retain their crate training. Every dog needs that skill to keep them safe in situations where they HAVE to be crated - at the vet, groomer, travel, etc.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Logan was crated no more than maybe a week or so. First night he stood by the crate and cried, and I opened it and he went right in. By around the third night he was beginning to realize it is a lot more fun outside the crate, and became increasingly hesitant to go into the crate. By the time I had be giving him a push to go in I knew it was time to "let him free" :-) Now he has the run of the house, and I gave away the crate to a new adoptee years ago.

But, the big thing you need to watch out for is him getting into things. Need to dog-proof the house. Since it sounds like he is free when you are home you may have that mostly taken care of that already, but when he is home alone he may get bored and get into things he would not when you are home. For Logan, the big issue was the kitchen pantry, and he figured out how to move the sliding doors open and turned out to be able to reach up a couple shelves higher than we estimated.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

take him with you while the kids are at sports. that's a great time for walkies and then he can meet the team (socialize) after the practice. that's what i always did, why sit and watch the practice session. he needs the exercise after being crated all day.

I wish this were possible. They are high school sports and unfortunately they are no dogs allowed. He would probably like to show those teenage athletes what fast looks like.

I'm considering a dog walker, but I don't have a lot of faith. I almost lost him last night during what I'll call "The Hidden Rabbit Fiasco."

I've said this here before; crates are over-rated. My dogs have detested being crated. Lola actually tore her's apart escaping it twice. We got rid of the crate for her safety.

Start slowly, perhaps baby-gating him in a dog-proof area for a short time to begin with increasing time as you go. Provide a loaded, frozen Kong or a puzzle toy when you leave him alone. Walk, walk, walk. A tired Greyhound is less likely to create chaos when left alone and uncrated. Patience and lots of love! He'll be fine.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Have never crated except for medical reasons - and we're talking 150+ greyhounds (I ran a rescue for 3 years with 6 fosters sometimes and fostered after that). Baby gates are a good in between crate and total freedom. To me some adoption groups crating rules border on abuse.

I totally disagree with the oft used "they're crate at the track all the time so thy are used to it." For one thing track crates are much larger than even the biggest home crate. I am 5'9" and can curl up comfortably in a track crate (ask me how I know this). Second - being crated alone in a house is far different than being surrounded by 35 of your closest friends.

As stated, if you can baby gate him in the kitchen you need to dog proof it. For years I had the busiest top of the refrigerator in town. More than once I had a stunned adopter come home to find their female grey standing on the kitchen table.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

i dropped my daughter off be it skating or soccer or orchestral rehearsals and WALKED-WALKED-WALKED( not at the gym or rink- i am big into exploring and wearing reflective gear)! it was good for me, good for my dogs. My welsh terrier was so crazy about soccer balls that he was not permitted even near the fence of the field since he barked so much.

when my daughter was young- only 8 or 9 i left the dog in the car, made sure she was on the ice and bolted! it sorta got me out of having to lace up her skates, her coach yelled at her if they were not tight enough....part of the learning experience.

crate wise, every dog is different. i was starting to have one of those crate houses. felix loves his crate and would rather be in the crate than just about anything else.....then i bought a slumber ball.

Edited by cleptogrey

All my hounds have started out in crates and then graduated to free range in 2-3 rooms of the house. I start with shorter periods, but all the dogs have been ok with quick transitions (a week or less). Bedrooms are closed off because of their too-inviting beds and pillows. I've had two dogs who occasionally have torn up books (fiber is important, you know) but I've learned to keep hardbacks out of the way. And as posted above, clear kitchen counters are a must if they have access. My dogs have always enjoyed having a window to look out of easily, I give treats when I leave the house, and the dogs practically push me out of the door so they can get their biscuit.

And you could always get a 2nd dog to keep this one company. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

We've always considered the crate as a transitional tool. A step in the process of being OK in the house. That said, all dogs are different and have different needs, but all of the greys that have moved though, and those that lived in my house, transitioned to not being crated. But - the house was "grey-proofed" and some rooms (DD's bedroom) were closed-door and off-limits.

You should, IMHO, transition to allowing out of crate. But do it in stages. Be responsible and thoughtful. Babyproof. And - nothing wrong with designating no-go zones.

transition and a dog walker who will walk and play with your dog outside. that's an awful lot of lonely time for a hound. a good reason for them to get into trouble. if the dog is 9 or 10, then all they are going to do(for many) is sleep and react to outside noise. but your dog is not a senior.

Our grey was in the crate for about two weeks. We put it away more than a year ago and have never gotten it back out! He hated it, and just wanted to sleep somewhere comfy. We started with shorter times out of the crate, but now he's out 8-3 while everyone is at work/school. He's had one or two accidents but those were at the beginning.

Johnny told me, in no uncertain terms, that he would not be crated again! He ran down the hall back to the bedroom. He was baby-gated in there and muzzled. Then he knocked the gate down. So he got to be where he liked, muzzled, until I felt that he would leave the cats totally alone (and that they had an escape route).

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

IMHO - unless there's a real medical or mental reason - dogs don't need to live in crates. Do the work you need to do to to transition. Baby-proof the He** outta your house (I had to for my Sobe). But let the dog outta the crate. It might take work. And time, and transition steps, but a dog without serious issues, IMHO doesn't need a crate.

Not a popular opinion, so take it for what it's worth to you.