Idexx Snap 4Dx Test Price

Does $100 for an Idexx snap 4DX test sound right?

Checking online I learned it does test for heartworm, Lyme disease and 2 other things and that vets are starting to use it more often rather than the plain heartworm test.

The article went on to say it should only cost about $10 more than the plain heartworm test.

I paid $35 for a heartworm test so the $100 seems a bit much. Yes or no?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That sounds way expensive. Pam's is more like it. Wouldn't expect it to be more than @ $50.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Remember that the SNAP test has a hole in it - it doesn't check for babesia. ...and at most vets that is $100 or so alone. Used to be able to have my vet spin down the blood and ship it to Protatek in Chandler, AZ. They had a $60 "greyhound special" that checked for everything....it was a number twenentysomething (27?) but they be out of business. Don't know if they are still around.and/or where you'd send off for a full panel these days. Good luck Ducky.

Can't tell you how many greys passed through my house to adopters that were babesia positive. Ehrlichia was almost a given on farm dogs but I saw more babesia than lyme by far. One girl from Mangum, OK had the "grand slam" - ehrlichia, babesia, lyme and RMSF.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I think I pay around $65. DC metro area so prices are high. $100 seems out of line.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes,I too went thru sticker shock last spring, my vet was $65 /70 for the snap test I went to the humane society and saved a mint. between kennel cough boosters,3 year rabies$20,snap test$35,senior profile$115,saved a whopping $270!!! And they have discounted drugs. The only problem with clinics is they only give you the basics,but leave you enough $$ to save up for a problem.

Edited by cleptogrey

I just had a 4dx done. $50 plus 18 for the tech visit. Lyme heartworm erlichia and anaplasmosis. We had it done for the anaplasma check.

I think heartwormhere was 35 and done with our regular visit so it's a $15 difference for us.

Next time I'm at the vet I will ask them how much their cost is on a box of 4dx. When I volunteered at the spay/neuter clinics they were paying <$500 for a box of 30 tests (but that was over 5 years ago)

Violet just had hers - $58.30

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks everyone. I've shared your input with my friend.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I use a Pet Assure vet and I save 25 percent on all inhouse treatments. (This is not for special or emergency care Centers) Some of the emergency care centers will give a senior discount, but only if you ask. Depending where you are, if you can find a vet who does greyhounds in your area, you may be able to save some dollars that way. Pet Assure is a discount program. You can also register your pet there in case your dog gets lost. I got pet assure when I had two very sick dogs and they do not care if you have pre-existing conditions or not. It all about advertising for the vets. You pay one fee a year and you can register up to four animals with them for one fee and it does not matter if you have a cat, a dog, a bird or whatever. The one fee will give you the discount for all of them. I live near DC and one of the vets in our area said that he likes it in the area, cause he can charge just about what he wants. I decided he was not my vet.

Edited by SanTanSnuggles