Teeth Chattering

Guest gordysmom96

Guest gordysmom96

Has anyone experienced their grey's mouth chattering? My girl's mouth will start this periodically in the middle of the night, which wakes me. Seems like it may be neurological?

She's 11 and it may just be old age.

All of mine do this when something exciting happens, when they are happy, when they are excited like...

....let's go for a walk... chattering

....look Daddy is in the kitchen.....maybe.....chattering

....ear scratches.....chattering

....exciting dreams.....barking, running, chattering in their sleep

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Johnny is a world class chatterer when walkies (or a car ride!) are imminent! There's a video on YouTube where the grey is chattering while being petted, check it out.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

All my Greys chatter sometimes when excited, either good or bad excitement. Only one has done it in the middle of the night that I am aware of, but I'm a heavy sleeper. Mr. Midnight Chatterer did it when having a dream. The only other time he chattered was at mealtimes & his teeth clicked so loud you could hear him two rooms away. It was hysterical! All it took to get him started chattering was saying, "Breakfast", "Dinner" or "Treat".

Did you adopt her as a senior or have you had her for a while? If you've had her a long time & this is a new phenomenon then it may be worth a vet trip just to make sure she isn't hurting somewhere. Otherwise, unless you are seeing anything else strange, for a Greyhound, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe if you don't find it worrisome you'll adjust to the noise & be able to sleep through it.

Our Ruby is a chatterer.

:)

Happy. Sad. Cold. Hot. Nervous. Excited.

But if your girl only does in the night she is probably cold....so just put some jammies on her!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest gordysmom96

She chatters occasionally during the day when I'm home. However, she may be cold, which I'd be surprised because she loves being outside in the cold. Her thermostat has always been a tad off, but being older she may be experiencing temperature swings. Kind of like menopause! She has a blanked on her bed and if she's cold she'll snuggle in it.

The chattering & the 'smiling' are what I miss most about my Cody - she was a BIG chatterer!! I know other breeds do it, but LOTS of greys do it...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

• 4 weeks later...

if you think she's cold and this is a newer event, try a VERY lightweight and not-terribly-warm throw as a test. big enough to cover her, but small enough that she doesnt get wrapped and trapped (think baby basinette size). And since fleece doesn't fray, you could buy a small amount of fleece on sale (the thinner the better), and try that before spending money on jammies.

<mine all hated jammies except for a lovely simple jacket that I received as a secret santa gift -- it was a knit rather than fleece, so minimal static>

And I LOVE chattering greys ... Riley was the king!

• 2 weeks later...

mine chattered, ran and thumped their tails in their sleep - with the occasional woof (which would wake them up bewildered - me too!).

they were noisier when asleep than when awake (except blue, who would bark at visitors, to make them come over and pet him.)

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

• 2 weeks later...