Impaired Kidney Function

Brin is done with her procedure and is apparently doing well. Her small intestine is definitely inflamed but we won't know more until we get the biopsy results hopefully tomorrow, Fri at the latest. They are starting her on a steroid empirically, which will hopefully help her appetite. We'll pick her up in a few hours.

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Many thoughts for improvements soon!! And answers....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Brin is done with her procedure and is apparently doing well. Her small intestine is definitely inflamed but we won't know more until we get the biopsy results hopefully tomorrow, Fri at the latest. They are starting her on a steroid empirically, which will hopefully help her appetite. We'll pick her up in a few hours.

Ask about trying budesonide over prednisone.

She got a DSP injection, but I will ask once we get the rest results back.

She's ok, thank you for asking. She's behaving normally, just won't eat much. I got her to eat a few dried chicken breast treats, some jerky treats, and some braunschweiger. No to any normal boiled or baked meats, no to the rotisserie chicken, no to the kibble, no to even crackers.

Have you been trying non meat things? Starches? Sweet things like maybe sweetened oatmeal or a fruity yogurt? Bone broth? Canned dog food?

There's one particular Rx canned food that's supposed to get dogs eating (X/D maybe???). I normally hate that kind of stuff, but I had a dog I was sitting get really sick and quit eating. Syringe feeding her that canned food was what got her going again. I know every dog is different and obviously you need to get the underlying issue addressed - just throwing out some things I haven't seen you mention. Feel so helpless, wish I could do more. Hoping you get answers very soon.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Tried pasta, rice, yogurt, cottage cheese, bone broth, chicken noodle soup, canned dog food. Next on the roster is Ensure, pumpkin pie, vanilla ice cream. We may give the X/D food a try tomorrow.

So frustrating. :( But I love the pumpkin pie idea. Hope something on that list works. Oh, adding canned cat food and canned tuna. And mashed potatoes! :gmark

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sounds like she received an injection of dexamethasone sp--did it help? Also I think the food that's being referred to is a/d. It's very soft and can be syringed easily. They were ok discharging a patient that hasn't ate in days and days. She sounds like she should be admitted to icu.

Definitely not z/d, as now that I look that's for allergy issues. I don't even see a/d on their site. I thought it was toward the end of the alphabet, w/d is the only one that sticks out but don't know why they'd give me that one.

What is the a/d marketed for?

One of my dogs was given a/d after a surgery. IIRC it's only available as a canned food, and is supposed to be very palatable and a hopefully easy way to get some calories and nutrients into an animal (same stuff is used for dogs and cats).

You have to get it from your vet.

ETA - the cans are about the size of a cat food or tuna can, maybe a bit larger - I don't think it's meant for any sort of long term use.

Hope Brin eats something for you.

FWIW when Jaynie was going through chemo at at one point would not eat anything - I tried a ton of different things - what she went for in the end was some of Jeff's kibble, which was different from hers. I wonder if one of the cheap dog foods, maybe a can of Alpo or something along those lines would be worth a try. (And before I get pilloried, Jeff was on Acana, not Alpo!)

Edited by Rickiesmom

Jen :lol. Hill's I/D maybe?

The DSP didn't help; neither has the ondansetron for that matter. She is 1/3 way thru her course of Baytril. I don't think she needs to be admitted yet. She's got energy and is playful, and is eating treats (which we give freely). I believe my bet chance of getting her to eat is at home. Canned tuna didn't work but I'm headed to the pet store to find new options and will add cat food to the list. And Alpo, lol.

Definitely not I/D. I'm sure Tracy is right and it's the A/D. What's Rickiesmom said jives with that as well. I just remember the point was it was highly palateable and nutritious. And I was able to syringe feed it, which got her wanting to eat again.

Have you done eggs? Scrambled, or possibly just the yolk from a perfectly over medium fried egg. :lol

I was going to through eggs and hot dogs in there as well...those were last resort foods....:lol

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

She's not interested in regular scrambled eggs. I thought I might try a sift scramble, or the yolk from my perfectly made soft-boiled egg. :lol

I have a feeling I'm going to have to force feed her some things to get some food in her. :(

Tried pasta, rice, yogurt, cottage cheese, bone broth, chicken noodle soup, canned dog food. Next on the roster is Ensure, pumpkin pie, vanilla ice cream. We may give the X/D food a try tomorrow.

I had two non eaters that did drink vanilla ensure. I was able to mix in a little meat or chicken at times, too.

She's not interested in regular scrambled eggs. I thought I might try a sift scramble, or the yolk from my perfectly made soft-boiled egg. :lol

I have a feeling I'm going to have to force feed her some things to get some food in her. :(

I honestly think it's worth a shot. I was really reticent to do it, but the dog I had to do it for tolerated it well and once we did a few small meals that way she started to eat on her own. In her case it appears it was some dirt of really nasty bug, so in your case it might not be a solution, but it's always a concern when they don't eat for days and days that they just lose the desire. Its hard to tell how much you're getting into her, but if it's not much consider syringe feeding some canned food. It can be a pretty gentle process and if she has a really horrible reaction to it, you'll just stop.

Bioosy results came back. She has moderate to chronic inflammatory bowel disease. I'm waiting to get prednisone for her (preferred over budesonide for now). We force fed her some boiled chicken purée, probably no more than a few ounces. Will try ensure tonight. Hopefully when the steroids kick in, she'll have more motivation to eat.

on a side note I am supposed to go abroad for a week starting Sunday but I don't want to leave unless she eats. Very relieved this isn't cancer and that we have a diagnosis to work with.

Edited by vsrenard

That is definitely good news. Now to get it under control and get her eating again. :goodluck

Fingers crossed .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.