Impaired Kidney Function

She is negative for lepto. Her urine culture is still in progress but so far here is no bacterial growth.

They are going to do the ultrasound and recheck her blood tests. She may stay in hospital for a few days depending on results. So far it looks like kidney disease.

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from vet. Brin's ultrasound is normal, with no obvious change in kidney size or blockages. Did a blood test and her BUN and creatnine levels have come down a little. Still high but that they've come down is encouraging. We left her overnight for iv fluids and another blood test in the morning. Her test results and symptoms don't quite make sense, not sure why she won't eat well. But she did beg two slices of L's cheesecake this morning.

We are hanging in. I am a mess, and L is trying not be behind his stoic demeanor. Brin has never spent the night outside of a "home" before. Breaks my heart.

Thinking good thoughts for your girl Brin.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Keeping your girl in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry you don't have answers and have to be away from your girl tonight. :(

Did you happen to ask about the Phosphorous level? I know it's not that elevated, and I'm much more knowledgeable about cats than dogs in this regard, but elevated phosphorous will make them feel sick and with cats with CKD a phosphorous at the higher end of normal is still considered high. Its a long shot I know, but if they don't think a phosphorous binder would do harm it might be worth trying? Probably talking out of my arse here. I hope you can get some answers and have her home tomorrow.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Brin is home. Her creatnine and BUN values are back in normal range. She is still dehydrated but we decide to forego another day of iv fluids in the hopes she will eat at home (she did not at the vet's). Her ultrasound came back normal with "mild bilateral renal change w/o evidence of renal obstruction or neoplasia. Pyelonephritis cannot be entirely excluded." Her pancreas appeared normal but no enzyme tests were done.

At this point, we have no idea what is causing her not to eat and what elevated her kidney values. She is on an anti-emetic and Florti Flora. I offered her yogurt and kibble with no success. She did eat a chicken jerky treat. We are both boiling and baking chicken breast right now. If that doesn't work, we'll try more baby food, and canned tuna.

Not sure what else to do.

So frustrating when they won't eat and there is no obvious reason. When my picky old girl wouldn't eat her regular food, I started the rounds of alternates I kept on hand. Vanilla Ensure, tuna, cat food, scrambled eggs, sweet bread, oatmeal, green tripe, Little Cesar wet dog food (comes in little packages). Yes, some of it is crap food, but at this point the idea is to get her to eat, sometimes that will jump start the appetite and they'll go back to eating their regular food for a few days. I also gave her a Pepcid every day.

Oh, and cheese! Some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on the top often worked. Pretty much the stronger it smells, the more likely they are to eat it.

:candle

We thought about getting a rotisserie chicken but then worries it would be spiced or cooked with something she can't eat. Is getting one from the grocery store hound-friendly? Obviously not the bones...

Most of them aren't too heavily spiced, Vanitha. Does Lawrence eat meat? He could taste it first. Or just peel the skin off and give her meat only.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.