Geriatric Barely Eating

Guest ShelbysMom

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have an older greyhound (11.5 years) who has been very slow to eat since around Christmas. She also has kidney disease which I fear is getting worse.

Usually if she would eat one thing, it would be rotisserie chicken. When I was feeding her some out of the fridge the other day she dropped it out of her mouth, then pawed at the side of her mouth. Her gums have receded and it made me wonder it the cold food hurt a bad tooth.

So I've been microwaving any food that was in the fridge to make it a little warm. I've also been putting orajel on her teeth 15-20 minutes before feeding her. She's now eating more.

I'm not trying to make this a kidney disease thread, but I thought this might give you another angle to try. Good luck with Shelby.

Bill

Guest ShelbysMom

I also have an older greyhound (11.5 years) who has been very slow to eat since around Christmas. She also has kidney disease which I fear is getting worse.

Usually if she would eat one thing, it would be rotisserie chicken. When I was feeding her some out of the fridge the other day she dropped it out of her mouth, then pawed at the side of her mouth. Her gums have receded and it made me wonder it the cold food hurt a bad tooth.

So I've been microwaving any food that was in the fridge to make it a little warm. I've also been putting orajel on her teeth 15-20 minutes before feeding her. She's now eating more.

I'm not trying to make this a kidney disease thread, but I thought this might give you another angle to try. Good luck with Shelby.

Bill

I too have been heating Shelby's food to try and encourage more eating. The rotisserie chicken from Costco has always been her fav.....but alas she turns her nose up to that as well as most everything else.

Shelby has refused all food thus far today. I gave her meds to her this morning, and within 15 minutes she vomited. All that showed was yellow bile. Not a sign of any of the pills. Would the pills have really dissolved that quickly in your stomach? I worry now that she didn't get her needed meds.

Guest ShelbysMom

The decision has been made. DH and I will take Shelby to the vet tomorrow for gentle assistance to The Rainbow Bridge if she doesn't pass on her own today or tonight.

:( I'm so sorry you're facing this. Hugs to all of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry, but it may be the most loving thing you can do at this point. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Shelby knows how much you love her. I'm so sorry :grouphug but it does sound as though you have made the right decision. Our hearts are with you and your beautiful old girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest peacehound

my heart goes out to you, just had to send my girl Peace to the bridge in September..she made it to 13.5. It's a hard thing to do but is truly a gift a dog deserves.

take care

Guest ShelbysMom

It is with a heavy heart that I report Shelby crossed over The Rainbow Bridge a little over an hour ago. DH and I were both with her, and I know she is now running free with our previous fur baby Pepper (a cute as a button **zu that went over the bridge in December 2003).

Below are 2 pictures of our beauty. The first was taken while she was still very much in her youth (probably 5 years old). The second was taken yesterday at 14 years, 8 months, and 14 days old.

Run free sweet Shelby.....run free....

387187_10200439447541517_1613566272_n.jp

1930794_10207004341059752_21076172818211

I am so sorry for the Shelby-sized hole in your hearts right now. She was blessed to have been loved by you, as were you for her returning the love. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I accompany you in your grief. Run with the angels dear Shelby.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

It is with a heavy heart that I report Shelby crossed over The Rainbow Bridge a little over an hour ago. DH and I were both with her, and I know she is now running free with our previous fur baby Pepper (a cute as a button **zu that went over the bridge in December 2003).

Below are 2 pictures of our beauty. The first was taken while she was still very much in her youth (probably 5 years old). The second was taken yesterday at 14 years, 8 months, and 14 days old.

Run free sweet Shelby.....run free....

387187_10200439447541517_1613566272_n.jp

1930794_10207004341059752_21076172818211

Oh Shelby, we'll miss you. I'm so sorry you had to leave. Your old pal Payton was there waiting for you I'm sure.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

I'm so sorry it was time :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

That last photo was just so sweet and full of love. Run free beautiful Shelby .... if you see a friendly golden brindle coming up to welcome you, that'll be my Angel who was set free from her kidney disease on a late January day 7 years ago.

:grouphug:gh_run:grouphug

Misty has become a superpicky eater as she gets older and after her recent illness. I had good luck with baby food (stage 1 Beechnut turkey or chicken), Stonyfield plain or vanilla yogurt (fed by the spoonful when desperate) and homemade meatloaf (just ground beef, bread crumbs, a bit of spaghetti sauce and one egg, baked until firm). Feeding a spoonful of yogurt if she will take it seems to get her appetite going and soothe her stomach. She will sometimes eat more after that. Also, warming her food a bit sometimes helps, or adding a little hot water. Many days she won't eat in the morning, but feels better later and makes up for it. Good luck with Shelby and hope you share many more happy days with her!

So sorry...just read your latest post...

Such a beautiful girl. I am so very sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.