Geriatric Barely Eating

Guest ShelbysMom

A couple things you could try that have worked for me. A bit of manuka honey, a 1/2 tsp was usually enough to stimulate Nadir's appetite numerous times when he would stop eating.

The other thing to try is Slippery Elm Bark, which will coat and soothe the stomach and also the esophagus as it goes down.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShelbysMom

A couple things you could try that have worked for me. A bit of manuka honey, a 1/2 tsp was usually enough to stimulate Nadir's appetite numerous times when he would stop eating.

The other thing to try is Slippery Elm Bark, which will coat and soothe the stomach and also the esophagus as it goes down.

I've never heard of either of these items, but certainly willing to try. Would I find these items in a health food store?

I've never heard of either of these items, but certainly willing to try. Would I find these items in a health food store?

Excellent suggestions. Both Manuka honey and slippery elm are available at health food stores. The SE is available as a powder that you mix with water and softly boil -we can give you more info- or as capsules. I keep both on hand but find the capsules more convenient.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest ShelbysMom

I will try to find the Slippery Elm today, though I suspect due to the holiday I'll not find anywhere open until tomorrow.

Shelby ate 2 small meals of the chicken liver meatloaf yesterday...along with some rice. I guess it didn't agree with her at all as she had the big D pretty badly in the early morning hours this morning. Plus she vomited and urinated in the house as well. At least she hit the p-pad with the urine. I have taken her outside where she did all 3 of those things again....though it was just dry heaves at this point. The big D is the worse I have ever experienced in all the years Shelby has been with us.

I'm now sitting here waiting for the carpet cleaning agent to do its job, listening to Shelby's stomach squeak and gurgle, hoping she feels better real soon. I will likely pay a visit to the vet with her tomorrow, but dread that as well since that whole routine really stresses Shelby badly. I just want to find a way for her tummy to feel better.

I've even gone through in my mind my little assessment of whether it's "time" or not to let her go. I know it's getting closer, but I just don't think we are there yet. I hope I'm not wrong as I know that a huge part of me just isn't ready to make that choice.

Sorry to ramble.....this is just so very hard.

The way you describe the noisy stomach rumbling and diarrhea I would go ahead and get the Manuka honey. It not only helped with the diarrhea, but was very good at quieting and settling Nadir's stomach when it was like that.

Edited to add link about Manuka honey.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/manuka-honey-medicinal-uses

Edited by 4My2Greys

Guest ShelbysMom

The way you describe the noisy stomach rumbling and diarrhea I would go ahead and get the Manuka honey. It not only helped with the diarrhea, but was very good at quieting and settling Nadir's stomach when it was like that.

Thank you. I will look for that today.

Normally Nadir would eagerly eat the honey when I offered it to him, but if he was feeling really bad he would refuse it. At those,times I

Normally Nadir would eagerly eat the honey when I offered it to him, but if he was feeling really bad he would refuse it. At those,times I would put some on my fingers and rub it along his cheek to get him to eat it. Once I got some in him, usually a tablespoon or so worth, he would improve.

She won't even consider the honey....I'm at a loss today. I'll just let her rest, and watch her closely.

There's not eating and then there's *not eating*. You are doing everything right. You'll know. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest ShelbysMom

Shelby got a tiny bit of the honey into her system yesterday (maybe a 1/4 teaspoon). I spread it onto her most favorite treat, but she only took one bite of that treat before refusing it as well. She did finally eat a single tablespoon of a canned turkey food in gravy, but that's all. She also barely drank anything yesterday.

The only thing she seems to have done overnight is one round of the big D, and she actually got that smack dab in the middle of her p-pad (so proud of her for that).

Once she is more awake, I'll assess things further. I will also put a call into the vet this morning. I want a brief phone consult for her thoughts on this. I don't want to actually take Shelby in unless there is no other choice.....it is just so hard on her. However, I'm sure the vet will insist on a visit. If there is something they can prescribe or inject that will help with her obvious nausea, then that would be a good thing.

Checking in to see how you and Shelby are doing.

Thank you so much for asking. See above post as I didn't see your question before I posted that.

Try getting anti-nausea meds from from the vet. Try a human Buscopan tablet to combat the stomach cramps.

SEB is anecdotally nearly as good as Sucralfate at healing ulcers but adding Pepcid (even though it may lead to temporary inappetance) also has an important role.

How long since you last had Liver and Kidney bloodwork done?

Really... consider treating Shelby as if you were handling kidney disease patient where the aim is to remove the symptoms and also reduce toxin-removal stress on the filtering mechanism. If the dog's appetite improves then you have a pointer towards metabolic issues.

This knowledge may help:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidneydiet.html

Guest Sportingfields

Prayers coming your way. I think you need to let the vet see her today, write down what has happened and when, what she ate & how much and how much she is sleeping. All those food suggestions are great but may be the cause of upset tum & big D. Toward the end of life, elderly people stop eating, that may be what is happening with Shelby. I know not what you wanted to read but you need to be honest with what is happening. I've gone thru this decline with 2 of ours, so I totally understand your heartache and the pain of deciding what is right for her and when. Hugs

Guest ShelbysMom

The vet gave me 2 prescriptions for Shelby. Can any of you tell me if these seem appropriate or not?

Metronidazole 500mg twice a day (not specific what this is for)

Azulfidinr 500mg 1.5 tablets 3 times per day (for diarrhea)

Metronidazole is an antibiotic for treating diarrhea.

Azulfidine is an anti-inflammatory for treating colitis / bowel inflammation.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ShelbysMom

Metronidazole is an antibiotic for treating diarrhea.

Azulfidine is an anti-inflammatory for treating colitis / bowel inflammation.

Thank you. I guess it's a good thing all of this is foreign to me as that means Shelby has had a very healthy life with little need for medicines until now.

Guest ShelbysMom

Shelby has made it through the night with no issues. She's still sleeping peacefully while I am sitting here keeping a watchful eye on her. She has had 2 doses of alzulfidine, and 1 dose of the metronidazole thus far. She managed to eat a half of a boiled chicken breast yesterday afternoon. She has had no big D since the meds started.

I didn't mention her weight yesterday. Due to a bit of a miscommunication by the vets office, I ended up taking Shelby with me to get these meds. She weighed in at 54.8lbs. That's down another 6 pounds since the first week in December. The weight loss is unbelievable to me. I'm not sure how much longer she will be with us.

Glad she is peaceful but sorry to hear about the weight loss. Hoping she has a good day today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug