Looking For Support....geriatric Greyhound Mom Here

Guest ShelbysMom

Guest ShelbysMom

My name is Carol. I'm the proud Mom of a beautiful greyhound girl named Shelby. My husband and I adopted Shelby back in 2004, and she instantly became my heart doggie. I've had many dogs over the years, but Shelby is the one that can look into my eyes and know exactly what's in my heart. She knows me better than my husband at times.

Shelby was born April 20, 2001......yes, she is 14 years, 8 months and 6 days old. Those with greys this age understand why the age is said this way.....every day is so very precious.

I was a member of Greytalk back on 2004/2005, but over time I visited the forum less and less often. Finally my membership lapsed entirely. I have found myself back here today for a bit of research on the various issues related to geriatric greyhounds, and thought that signing up again felt right at this point as I'm really having troubles coping with Shelby's progression towards the "end".

Welcome back! I recognized your GT name right away. Shelby's age is incredible. Every day is truly precious when they get to that age.

Edited to add I reread your post, specifically the last sentence. You've come to the right place for support.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Welcome back from Delaware. Shelby is amazing to be over 14 years old. Each day is a blessing.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest ShelbysMom

Welcome back!

Welcome back! I recognized your GT name right away. Shelby's age is incredible. Every day is truly precious when they get to that age.

Edited to add I reread your post, specifically the last sentence. You've come to the right place for support.

Welcome back from Delaware. Shelby is amazing to be over 14 years old. Each day is a blessing.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'd love to share a picture of Shelby, but haven't figured that out just yet.

Edited by ShelbysMom

Obviously you have been doing things just right with Shelby.

:)

That is a wonderful age for any dog to reach.

We had a GSDx who lived very well until well over 14.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Welcome Back Carol and Shelby!

We recently lost our Darcy who lived until 14 years 10 months. She was a tough old dog and preferred the term super senior. ;) Darcy was still going up/down stairs, enjoying daily walks, and a (mostly) healthy appetite right up until her final days. A rapid growing soft tissue sarcoma on her side is what got her in the end.

Wishing you many good days ahead with your girl!

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Welcome back!! I remember you from the 'olden days'!!!

Were you in Maryland back then??

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Welcome back. I remember your screen name from long ago as well :)

I also had a "super senior" who we lost at 14.5 last year. We dealt with many age related issues, including incontinence (mostly) and hind-end weakness (not nearly as big of a deal, but necessitated altered sleeping arrangements toward the end). It's hard when you know that it's a miracle to have even made it this far. When things got difficult for us sometimes, I would remember how many people wished they were in our shoes instead losing their pups much too young. I wish you and Shelby all the best! :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest ShelbysMom

Thank you for the continued warm welcomes to this returning greyhound lover.

Some of you don't know, as it's posted in another thread within Health & Medical, Shelby crossed over The Rainbow Bridge on 1/4. My heart shattered into a million little pieces that day, and each day since has been a struggle (some days have been better than others).

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Sorry for your loss. You are very fortunate to have had Shelby in your life for so long. I've only had one greyhound live to that age. If you were on greytalk in 2005 you may remember my adopting Susie in March 2005 at 3 weeks before her 14th birthday. We had her for 14 months. She was a little over 15 when she left us in May 2006.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Guest ShelbysMom

Sorry for your loss. You are very fortunate to have had Shelby in your life for so long. I've only had one greyhound live to that age. If you were on greytalk in 2005 you may remember my adopting Susie in March 2005 at 3 weeks before her 14th birthday. We had her for 14 months. She was a little over 15 when she left us in May 2006.

Thank you so much.

In fact I do remember you to the extent I remember someone who opened their heart to a senior. I don't recall Susie's story (how she happened to be up for adoption at that age), but I do remember being so very thankful that someone was willing to open their home and love her for what little time she may have had left. Wow....14 wonderful months! You were so lucky to have had her in your life.

So very sorry for your loss of Shelby. I remember her very well. Welcome back to GT. I have lost most of mine, including Jilly Bean.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee