Pogo's Surgery Appointment

Annette

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home a few minutes ago. Pogo is still in Madison and doing fine according to the surgery student. Will update more tomorrow.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Glad all has gone well so far!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That is good news. Now let the healing begin.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Pogo's condition has been changed to a question mark.

We are not sure what is happening with Pogo right now. We just hope he will recover well. On Thursday when he was in for his pre-op work, he threw up and the vet discovered an arrhythmia. We received a call at 5:00 am this morning regarding an arrhythmia. They are giving him medication for it. Also, even though he has been getting amicar every 8 hours, it sounds like he already may have significant bruising. Roy spoke to the vet school on the phone this morning. They will be doing an ultrasound of his heart.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Taylor had serious edema and bruising starting 2 days after surgery, with Amicar started the morning of surgery.

The hospital kept him 6 nights instead of 2-3 nights because they have him on IV fluids to keep flushing his kidneys to prevent damage.

He was peeing dark red from absorbing all the fluids.

Just an update. Pogo's heart rate has normalized. He is hooked up to an EKG machine. He is getting 1200 mg of amicar. In addition he is on a constant rate infusion of pain killers in addition to a fentanyl patch. Cardiology is going to be checking him out today. We won't get another update until tomorrow morning if we are lucky.

Fingers crossed for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Annette,

You can call and talk to the surgical student or Dr. on call at ANY TIME. When Cooper had his jaw surgery, they would call after rounds, and then I would call in the afternoon and late evening. Don't feel like you can't call. That's what they are there for. Sandy

Don't worry. I call when I feel I need to. Of course, the person we spoke to in the morning said that we would not get a call till tomorrow unless there was an emergency. So the phone rings and it is from the vet school. Cardiology checked Pogo over and there are no problems with his heart. He is still doing fine. Now Roy and me on the other hand.........

At times vets should be able to prescribe a little Valium for owners, I know. Hugs.

Got off the phone with Pogo's vet student this morning. He ate a full jar of baby food this morning. She said the bruising is not that bad. Also, instead of laying on his side, it sounds like he got into the Sphinx position. They will probably try to walk him tomorrow with a sling. I also asked what type of arrhythmia he had and she said it was a Accelerated Idioventricular Rhythm which is faster than ventricular escape but slower than ventricular tachycardia. I am just reading the information off a pdf file I found that was written by a cardiology vet and it is all a different language to me. i just know it was not the worst case scenario.

Nommy baby food -- good boy, Pogo!

<<He just looks at it like an airport runway and tries to take off>> With this kind of spirit, he has a lot of good things going for him. Sending our bestest wishes.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Well Pogo is taking us on a roller coaster ride. He has not eaten at all today so now they have a feed tube (if I understand correctly) in him. They think part of problem with his appetite might be the lidocaine so they are weaning him off that (he is still hooked up to an ekg machine). His blood counts have stabilized, so they don't believe they will have to infuse him anymore. They also think the lidocaine has him feeling "punky" and less energetic than he should be, so hopefully that will help him in the walking process. They have been standing him up regularly and massaging his neck area because of bruising there. He has a catheter in him along with the compression bandage, so that really isn't allowing him to walk well. They did manage to walk him just a little ways to the scale. He most likely will not be home till the weekend. We were hoping to pick him up on Wednesday. Our plans now will be to drive down and visit him hopefully.