Medical Marijuana For Dogs

I've recently heard about this for people. Received an email from a friend who is very dog savvy. She has a very nervous 5 yr old Shepherd type dog.

All thyroid levels checked-everything checked. Nothing she has done thus far has helped this poor dog who is losing weight also due to high anxiety.

She knows my 13 + German Shepherd has Alzheimers and very skittish at night "sundowners" syndrome. She asked if i would like to try this with her as she will be getting some for her dog. It is in capsule form specifically for dogs and i AM going to try this. My dog has ALprazolam for at night which doesn't work great. I just started putting her Thundershirt on her at night and it helps a little. I will let you know how this goes. won't be getting it for another week or two.

My Charlie, Greyhound HATES the car. I thought about this for him on those occasions but Greyhounds are so sensitive to drugs of any sort i don't know if i will try that for him.

A friend who is a fellow certified dog trainer has had success with it with his dog and one of the trainers I work with is thinking about trying it with her own. I am VERY interested in the potential of this product, but I'm hesitant to use it with my own dogs until there are some actual studies done reporting it's efficacy and more importantly, it's safety, especially with long term use. Initial anecdotal evidence certainly looks promising, but my concern is the effects over the long term.

Please do report back on whether it helps your dog or not.

ETA: I wanted to add for others who may not be familiar with this product that the supplement is not actually marijuana. They've derived non-psychoactive cannaboids from hemp and put those in supplement form so your dog is not getting high from these supplements. ;) I'm not sure what supplement the OP plans on using, but I'm attaching a PDF I received from the owner of a company making them in case anyone wants to read more. Just remember, while the company gives testimonials, there have not been any scientific studies thus far (that I know of at least) of the use of these types of supplements with dogs.

Treatibles Information & Training.pdf

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

ETA: I wanted to add for others who may not be familiar with this product that the supplement is not actually marijuana. They've derived non-psychoactive cannaboids from hemp and put those in supplement form so your dog is not getting high from these supplements. ;)

Darn, I was hoping for some high greyhound videos (kidding)! This sounds intriguing though!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Ok now I'm being silly--just had to chuckle that MaryJane replied! Ha!

:rofl

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

For videos, I sure wish we had taken some the first time we gave Marvin a treat with some Rescue Remedy drizzled on it... :thumbs-up

Such a product would be wonderful if it can be an alternative for those with anxiety and health issues that have been difficult to find solutions for.

Anecdotal evidence only, but I know a family that has had *some* success with giving some sort of marijuana product (sorry, I'm not sure) to their seizure dog. It does seem to work in human children with certain types of seizures, so I'm thinking it will probably work for some things in dogs - anxiety, seizures, perhaps with pain relief from cancer.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

A friend who is a fellow certified dog trainer has had success with it with his dog and one of the trainers I work with is thinking about trying it with her own. I am VERY interested in the potential of this product, but I'm hesitant to use it with my own dogs until there are some actual studies done reporting it's efficacy and more importantly, it's safety, especially with long term use. Initial anecdotal evidence certainly looks promising, but my concern is the effects over the long term.

Please do report back on whether it helps your dog or not.

ETA: I wanted to add for others who may not be familiar with this product that the supplement is not actually marijuana. They've derived non-psychoactive cannaboids from hemp and put those in supplement form so your dog is not getting high from these supplements. ;) I'm not sure what supplement the OP plans on using, but I'm attaching a PDF I received from the owner of a company making them in case anyone wants to read more. Just remember, while the company gives testimonials, there have not been any scientific studies thus far (that I know of at least) of the use of these types of supplements with dogs.

So these are regulated products? My concern with medical (or recreational use in people) is that the dose/purity is a real unknown. I'll be interested to see what the clinical studies reveal, hopefully this will help some dogs, it's certainly helped a lot of people.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a month and the person who could acquire this has not bothered. A friends husband is a biochemist and suggested PQQ and NAC for pain and doggie dementia. It is for ppl but can be used for dogs. I ordered some but am leery to try it now. Anyone know anything about this?

I'm familiar with NAC use in humans but, no experience with it in pets. NAC shouldn't be used with people taking anticoagulants or people monitoring their blood pressure without a dr's approval as it can effect both. Sorry zero experience with PQQ.

I'm familiar with NAC use in humans but, no experience with it in pets. NAC shouldn't be used with people taking anticoagulants or people monitoring their blood pressure without a dr's approval as it can effect both. Sorry zero experience with PQQ.

thanks Tracy, i trust you to the utmost. I will run this by my vet before i decide with either. She isn't a homeopathic vet but she is open minded to it. I will let you and everyone know what transpires

• 9 months later...

So these are regulated products? My concern with medical (or recreational use in people) is that the dose/purity is a real unknown. I'll be interested to see what the clinical studies reveal, hopefully this will help some dogs, it's certainly helped a lot of people.

No, totally unregulated at this point, which is part of the concern.

Having said that, if your dog has a terminal disease...which is why I wanted to check for updates and see if anyone has used it, especially for pain? I am thinking about ordering some just to have on hand and maybe try as a last ditch effort if/when we get to that point. I am going to ask my vet about it, but expect she'll have no information since it wouldn't be something she's "prescribing".

Edited by NeylasMom

We used it for both of our greys during their palliative care for osteo. I do feel that it gave them pain relief, of course in conjunction with the regular pain meds and treatments. We did have to increase the dose over time, and the high dose at the end made Effie vomit. We cut it back and she was OK, but it was scary (she'd had tie-back surgery, so could easily aspirate).

Effie (Nadine's Effie), Carmen (PHX Downtown), & Benny (the chihuahua)

We used it for both of our greys during their palliative care for osteo. I do feel that it gave them pain relief, of course in conjunction with the regular pain meds and treatments. We did have to increase the dose over time, and the high dose at the end made Effie vomit. We cut it back and she was OK, but it was scary (she'd had tie-back surgery, so could easily aspirate).

Thanks. Would you mind sharing which product you ordered and what doses you used, both at the beginning and that led to vomiting? Did you notice any other changes or side effects at either end of your dose range? Edited by NeylasMom

We used Canna Companion - https://cannacompanionusa.com/We started with the regular strength capsule for large dogs once a day, eventually increased it to twice a day. I think we then did a capsule and a half in the PM but I'm not positive about that (it's been a while and her medication regime was extensive). We then went to the extra strength capsule for large dogs which was too strong for her and made her vomit. That was very soon before we had to put her to sleep, so all of her meds were at the highest dosages.

Effie (Nadine's Effie), Carmen (PHX Downtown), & Benny (the chihuahua)

From what I remember with the seizure dogs using the hemp product - they started with Canna Companion but then switched to another product. It seemed that one of the partners left Canna Companion and started another company and this is where they switched to - the partner that left was more of the research person while the other partner (Canna Companion) was more of the sales. From what I remember, the research person was better at working with people to get right doses for their dog.

I mentioned the yahoo group earlier - I did get some spreadsheets at one time on how the product was doing and the results were looking good but as I talked to a few people a year later, sometimes the product effectiveness was trending down - this happens with seizure meds so hard to tell whether it was the hemp loosing effectiveness or the seizures pathways adjusting.

Someone also created a facebook group. The name of the group is not easy to remember - I looked and couldn't easily find it. Some of the other people that have seizure dogs might remember and chime in ....

edited to add -- I mention this because these groups of people have probably developed a great deal of experience with the products and side effects and possibly dosing. They might be a good resource for you.

Edited by MaryJane

• 2 months later...

Well I just ordered the large dog capsules from Canna Companion. I looked at the Treatibles too - they actually appealed to me a little bit more - but they are SO expensive. A bag of the large treats, which was going to last us around 3 days according to their dosing instructions was over $30 + shipping! The Canna Companion isn't inexpensive either, but at least $80 gets me a month. :rolleyes: