Watching And Waiting On A Racing Doggie

Seldom Told just keeps on keeping on. BTW, Pippi from the same kennel and he both have six straight wins. Need My MoneyNow runs tonight. Hope he does well also.

Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw this.

With a heavy heart, we wanted to tell you that Jade, GH Hall of Fame greeter extraordinary passed away today. She had several strokes. She would have been 10 in April and has been the greeter since August, 2008. She did a wonderful job and she will be sorely missed by her adoring fans (including her Aunt Donna). RIP, sweet Jade!

Aunt Donna Weeks

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=san+tan+goforit&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

• 1 month later...
Guest MsBee

One of the big males I've been admiring seems to have dropped off the map. I expect to be dog-ready this summer as I've finally found a large-dog-friendly apartment complex in my area with an opening. He was my second pick since my girl is likely to not be available for quite some time and her connections never responded to my messages http://www.trackinfo.com/dog.jsp?runnername=GO%20ROCKY%20BLUE

While three months seems like a long time it really isn't, depending on what is wrong. It looks like he had an injury and they rested him for a month, schooled him and he did okay. They put him in a couple of C races and he ran last and next to last so his injury must still be bothering him or he reaggravated the injury.

Since the dogs can't talk trainer usually err on the side of caution when estimating how long to keep a dog off. He won't be 3 till June so I would guess they are giving him more time.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask or not, but my googling has turned up nothing! The nga put up a new breeding report and Pizza Joint is listed! Says the sire is Flying Coal City. Anyway, I was wondering what FS and AI mean? I would assume it has to do with the method, but my tired brain couldn't get past Artificial Intelligence and I know that's wrong :lol I couldn't find a 'glossary' anywhere and this is all new to me!

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Frozen semen and I'm pretty sure Artificial insemination.

Flying Coal city has been a pretty good newer stud dog so the dogs should be at track about 20 or 21 months from the breeding date. The new greyhound Review will be out in another two months and you will see how many pups she had.

Guest MsBee

Since the dogs can't talk trainer usually err on the side of caution when estimating how long to keep a dog off. He won't be 3 till June so I would guess they are giving him more time.

What is the significance of him turning three?

Frozen semen and I'm pretty sure Artificial insemination.

Flying Coal city has been a pretty good newer stud dog so the dogs should be at track about 20 or 21 months from the breeding date. The new greyhound Review will be out in another two months and you will see how many pups she had.

Thank you! I can't wait to follow her pups...

I sell things on Etsy!

What is the significance of him turning three?

Depending on the dog and the injury they may retire the dog if he is on the other side of three. Sometimes it isn't worth sitting on the dog knowing he won't have much racing time left. While there is no rule about the dog having to retire at four most dogs find it hard to compete with the younger dogs by that time and are retired.

I have no hard facts except the eye test and I would guess 10 to 12 percent of the racing dogs are over 4.

Pizza Joint's owner texted me!! She had her puppies on April 1 (3 girls and a boy). He said it'll be a couple years but he'll get in touch with me when she's ready for a home! I'm planning to text occasionally (to stay on his radar...I know how busy they are!) but I am so excited. I may have burst into happy tears as soon as I got the text :lol

I sell things on Etsy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dick! Long time..... Had to chime in when I saw Flying Coal Citys name. My bratty toddler boy was a Flying Coal City /Vanessa Rousso pup that I met at Mike Gerrards and asked if I could preadopt. Its so much fun to watch them grow, like I did with Zee (FTH Thunder - last FTH dog to race). Needless to say, my boy was simply not going to race and flunked racing college. When I drove to JAX to pick him up, I had a 68 lb puppy. People don't realize sometimes the hound they get from the adoption group/kennel is so very well mannered BECAUSE of their time in the racing kennel.

Now you know why I asked if I could preadopt... After playing with this little bundle, who could resist.

post-10392-0-08676600-1462674249_thumb.jpg

To say the least, he was a challenge as he came back to the racing kennel from college in OK having been expelled. Then came right home with me. I put him on a "racing kennel" schedule and did things just the way Mike and Toni would do and he settled in nicely. He did however, behave like a toddler in a house as opposed to a kennel....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

House Rules and Manners for Toddler Hounds (or hounds who flunked racing college and did not get post graduate degree in rules and manners in the racing kennel) - Updated

“Down” does not mean you can keep your feet UP on the kitchen counter, the bathroom counter, the gate between the family room and the rest of the house, my chest or the chest of others, the pass through to the kitchen or in my coffee cup on the patio table. Standing up with your feet in the front window in the middle of the blinds will NOT get you permission to go play with the mail man no matter how much he smiles at you.

Chewing out a hole very neatly in the corner of the front window blinds has solved your problem with seeing out when they are closed. (See above rule ). We are NOT amused. However, to prevent further damage, I will not fix or replace. I will let you keep your peep hole.

Your food bowl is YOUR bowl. My food bowl, Skye’s food bowl and Zee’s food bowl are NOT. Just because Zee does not bite your head off when you try to help him eat is NOT permission to share his food. Be grateful that he only growls and is patient with you……for now!

Food on the kitchen counter and in the kitchen trash can is NOT yours. Food in your bowl or given to you specifically, IS yours, to be eaten by you.

The couches and recliner in the family room are yours to lounge about on. Couch safety dictates that when you depart the couch, you leave by getting down from the FRONT of the couch, NOT by jumping over the back of the couch which is dangerous to your health, safety and physical wellbeing.

Couch safety also dictates that you gently jump up on the couch when you want to relax. Pushing the couch half way across the room by using it like a full speed entry slip n slide will frequently result in the couch moving faster than you and your back half will slide along with the couch across the tile.

Outdoor speed is NOT to be used indoors. EVER! As a toddler, you do not have enough money or kibble to replace all the things that you smash into and break. This is evidenced by Newton’s first law of motion “Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it”. These external forces include walls, cabinets, the fridge, me, doors or any other movable or immovable objects which may be in your path of destruction.

Small pieces of coral rock are NOT for teething. You have all of your teeth already and it will not help you keep them healthy and intact.

Just because it is there does not mean it is edible nor should everything be tasted. Especially MONEY! The bank, stores and the Vet do NOT accept money that has been personally and physically recycled by you, and in its recycled form, is messy and can NOT go in my wallet.

I do the laundry. You do NOT have to help me. Taking the dirty laundry out of the basket and distributing it throughout the house, into your toy boxes and under your bed does NOT constitute HELP.

Speaking of toy boxes, do NOT whine, yelp or bark at me because they are empty. The toys are scattered all over the house where you can easily get them from right where you left them. I am only going to pick them up ONCE per day just before bedtime. If you want them back in the toy boxes so you can drag them out again, then YOU put them back.

You do NOT ALWAYS have to be first to the dinner bowls, out the back door, in the back door, into the kitchen, out of the kitchen, to the front door when the doorbell rings or to get a cookie. Let another hound be first occasionally!

I am NOT deaf. I hear the phone ringing. If I am not fast enough, I do not need you to bark to make me answer it quicker. If I am NOT fast enough for you, answer it yourself, although it’s probably not for you.

The laptop computer is not your pillow. When it is on my lap, please refrain from slobbering on, drooling on, putting paws on, putting head on, or licking the keyboard.

Trimming your toenails is NOT a death sentence. You do not have to turn inside out in forty seven directions screaming like a cat on a hot plate when we try to trim nails. More so, you should NOT have to be sedated by the vet just to get it done without us having to fight WWIII. I am patient and we will work on this together.

Barking, whining and yelping will not get you into, or me out of the bathroom any quicker.

I will NOT dry an area of grass with the hair dryer when you have to pee just because you don't want to get your feet wet when it has rained!

Visitors are NOT food! Nomming them, even as just in a simple taste in inappropriate.

Sharing is caring. Nuff said on that!

Lastly, you are my toddler hound and no matter how much mischief you get into “because you just ain’t right”, I promise I will love you, keep you safe and hold you in my heart as a cherished member of our family always and forever.

11215735_1139027306138395_90764912222460

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

rycezmom - what a cutie! The toddler hound rules are too funny.

I noticed that Husker Magic got her 99th career win last night (May 6). Yay! Watched the replay to see her beautiful win against a younger field of dogs. Need My Money Now continues to do well, but Seldom Told has not raced since 2/26? He seemed to be smoking hot all of February...

5 of my girl's 7 offspring are racing now. Quick Shot is still at Daytona, MRL Overpaid & MRL Old Hippie are at Orange Park, and MRL Oh Jesse and MRL Outbound are at Southland. I enjoy watching them, no matter how well they run. ;) (Sometimes it is "not so well".) It is pretty cool to be able to see Trixie's pups out there, starting their careers.

Roo - I am excited for you to get to see Pizza Joint's offspring run when they get to that stage late next year. So great that you got a text from her owner!

Jennifer, mom to Galen (GableTeletubbie) and Trixie fka Mooch (MostAggressive)
Always missing Connie (Connies Fullofit) and Chase (No Worries aka "Ace") & IG Angels Velvet and Bitsy

He sounds like a perfect fit and over time your will start to cross some of the things above off the list. Hope it is sooner rather than later.

Good luck with your new pup.

rycezmom - what a cutie! The toddler hound rules are too funny.

I noticed that Husker Magic got her 99th career win last night (May 6). Yay! Watched the replay to see her beautiful win against a younger field of dogs. Need My Money Now continues to do well, but Seldom Told has not raced since 2/26? He seemed to be smoking hot all of February...

5 of my girl's 7 offspring are racing now. Quick Shot is still at Daytona, MRL Overpaid & MRL Old Hippie are at Orange Park, and MRL Oh Jesse and MRL Outbound are at Southland. I enjoy watching them, no matter how well they run. ;) (Sometimes it is "not so well".) It is pretty cool to be able to see Trixie's pups out there, starting their careers.

Roo - I am excited for you to get to see Pizza Joint's offspring run when they get to that stage late next year. So great that you got a text from her owner!

Seldom Told will be back shortly. He had a minor injury so it was decided to send him to a farm and have semen collected while he was recuperating. He will be schooling soon.

I've decided it's time to start watching a new Greyhound. I lost my wonderful Capt. Gus in Late March, to Osteo, and now I have two girls in the house. Miss having a boy. I have always been a sucker for the big galoots.

Not ready to add to my pack at the moment, as I am busy getting my girl Casper Therapy Dog certified, so she can take over the good that Gus was doing at the time of his death.

I have my eyes on a big boy racing with Velocity at Daytona. So I plan to follow his career, and see if he's meant to be me in the end ... His name is Castor's Courage, and he's a huge mostly white boy. He's a riot to watch race as he is so large, he makes the other dogs look almost like whippets. IF he applies himself, he has a huge stride and could most likely win most of his races ... so I think he'll be racing awhile. He raced last on May 4th, Evening Race 1 - (if anyone would like to see him in action) ... placed a 2nd.

Is anybody going to Daytona who would like to do a grey-stalking for me? I'd love to get a couple clear pictures of him - it's hard to see much detail when they are screaming around a race track.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I've decided it's time to start watching a new Greyhound. I lost my wonderful Capt. Gus in Late March, to Osteo, and now I have two girls in the house. Miss having a boy. I have always been a sucker for the big galoots.

Not ready to add to my pack at the moment, as I am busy getting my girl Casper Therapy Dog certified, so she can take over the good that Gus was doing at the time of his death.

I have my eyes on a big boy racing with Velocity at Daytona. So I plan to follow his career, and see if he's meant to be me in the end ... His name is Castor's Courage, and he's a huge mostly white boy. He's a riot to watch race as he is so large, he makes the other dogs look almost like whippets. IF he applies himself, he has a huge stride and could most likely win most of his races ... so I think he'll be racing awhile. He raced last on May 4th, Evening Race 1 - (if anyone would like to see him in action) ... placed a 2nd.

Is anybody going to Daytona who would like to do a grey-stalking for me? I'd love to get a couple clear pictures of him - it's hard to see much detail when they are screaming around a race track.

He really is a big boy at 81 or 82 pounds. He also has great early speed, but that early speed come with a price. He starts to tire in the stretch, that is why you see him with one win and six seconds. he gets caught be closers.

Dogs like this are usually around for a while because they hit the board consistently because they are out front and don't get in trouble at the turn.

He doesn't turn three till December so I would think it won't be till next year before he retires.

He runs again on the 10th.

Dick

Edited by dmdsmoxie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I met Bluebyyou's sister today! A hauler headed from Alabama to Maine/Canada ended up stuck at PRH for a couple days when their generator died - we housed their hounds (and the drivers!) while they got a new generator. I helped with turnout and loading them up when the hauler was ready today and how surprised was I when I grabbed a collar that read "Writers Block"! I had added the little girl to my VK (after you started watching Bluebyyou, I stalked siblings and just loved her name :P) and watched her run until I stopped seeing her name back in April. It was surprising to look down and realize I was walking this little dog I'd been watching for a while :lol Her kennel name is Queenie and she's precious. Tiny little black girl and seemed very sweet. Not sure what group she's headed to but it'll probably be in either Maine or Canada. Anyway, thought you'd be interested in what Bluebyyou's sis is up to!

Edited by Roo

I sell things on Etsy!

Writers Block is actually in Rhode Island. Her new owner and I were picking her and my new boy Steeler up from that same haul in Massachusetts l!

Halise (who is eternally greytful that you could take care of our babies and their chauffeurs while the generator was being fixed)

Edited by boopieface

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal