Watching And Waiting On A Racing Doggie

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need My Moneynow had a poor break today and probably still would have won the race except the poor break got him to the turn about 3rd on the outside and he got offstrided.

he tried, poor guy.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Now that Phog has been home a few weeks I thought I'd post some of the things we learned during our w& w process. Not that we are experts by any means, but maybe this will help somebody somehow. For those of you who don't know our story -- we were honored by teddy Palmer and our halfway home greyhounds group to name two unraced puppies several years ago. One of them we named beware of phog - dh and I both being ku alumni and huge basketball fans. Phog ran his entire career at derby lane and we loved watching his races/results on line thru track info and greyhound data sites. We picked up Phog at derby lane on January 20 and brought him back to Oklahoma to join rollover ronee and rowdy Jill.

1. Gather as much info as you can. Use greyhound data, track info, your adoption group, track pr person (if available) track adoption group (if possible) and you can even check with nga office in Abilene to gather info and contact numbers/email For owner, trainer, kennel, adoption contacts, etc. this thread is helpful as well!

2. Cover your bases. Contact all involved and don't expect any one person to remember that you have your eye on a specific dog. We contacted his owner, trainer, our adoption group and track pr person when Vera was employed at derby lane - so numerous folks knew we Were interested in phog. We were lucky that dawn bladen, phogs owner, was fabulous. So nice to return my email and she did remember when the time came that we wanted him. In fact, We received an email the evening of his injury that his career was over and he could be ours - so after months of not knowing/hearing anything when the time came she did remember!

3. Don't be a bother!!!! These people are all very busy folks! Phogs owner was a greyhound farm owner, these people are busy. We learned so much from the Abilene greyhound gathering about greyhound farms, breeding, training and I have so much respect for all of these folks and how hard they work. I have not been to anywhere but derby lane track wise on our trip - but phogs trainer was amazing. If you have any doubts pm me and I'll elaborate. So don't expect prompt answers or to be kept up to date. And don't think you will be kept informed or in the loop - we seldom contacted owner/trainer and most times they went unanswered

4. Patience. There were months when we had no idea what was happening with Phog. He had been injured and there were long stretches of time when we were sure he would never be ours. Then he would turn up in a schooling race. We were not owed explanations of his rehab nor expect them. Even after we got the email that his racing career was over and he could retire at our house we were not kept informed and were not sure he would ever truly be ours, w& w is not for the demanding or nervous! Just gotta hang and believe it will all work out someway somehow.

5. Know that they may come available when it is not 'convenient' for you. We always thought that Phog would race till four years old or so, then probably be a daddy since he was pretty good and out of a good litter. Nope - injury ended his racing early. Three dogs at once were not on my short list. So be aware that timing is not yours when w & w.

6. Open your mind. We saw that Phog loved his trainer and the kennel worker. guddy (the worker) cried when he left. I have so much respect for all of these people who cared for him before we knew him. They work so hard!

7. Cat safe? Small animal safe? Will he get along with our two current greyhound girls? The grand baby? All questions that couldn't be answered as well as if we had just done an adoption thru our group but you need to take into consideration.

8. Logistics - we told dawn that we would drive to Florida and pick him up since he was injured - which we did. Gave me great appreciation for all of our groups hauls! And all of the work others have done to bring our previous dogs to us :). So how you gonna get them home?

9. We did pay to have an off track vet look at phogs leg - we were so blessed that his trainer transported him for us, etc. also he had to be neutered before we picked him up and we were able to arrange this thru Gpa Tampa bay - they also gave him a bath for us before his big car ride home -- so just a few more things to think about.

10. All this being said I feel more attached to him earlier than I have to any of our other greyhounds. I have this huge appreciation for things I knew nothing about before we watched Phogs races on line. And also seeing the track and the kennel and meeting all the wonderful folks there that I didn't give a thought to before that cared for Phog before we knew him.

Thank you so much for keeping this thread going - and try to just enjoy the ride if this is the path you choose to take. If this offends anyone mods please delete as it was not meant to in any way.

Thanks for sharing, dick!! Yes, beware of phog was a good racer - and one of Ariel battles best offspring. When we brought phog home I hung his muzzle on the coathook by the back door. When I leashed him up for his first walk here he wanted his muzzle and was nuzzling it like he was gonna get to put it on and go race.

Edited to add - phogs leg is doing great! He has been taking walks with Jill twice a day and it has really done well - can't even tell he was injured. Ronee is 10 years old and doesn't like to go on walks very often anymore. He had a place on his side when he came to us and it was surgically removed on Thursday at our vets. We await path report.

Edited by teri_d

That is an awesome set of tips, Teri. Thank you for posting it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Great tips, and all things I'm learning! I haven't heard anything from Pizza Joint's current owner, but I know she's going to be bred so now I'm just waiting. I'm not even entirely sure who has her, so I'm anxious for a breeding to be reported so I can get a name, even though I know it'll be a while since she just retired in November. I haven't pestered her trainer, who does know who has her, which I'm proud of as I tend to be a worrier and not knowing things really messes with my head. I consistently have to reel myself in and trust that she's being well cared for (her trainer assured me she is last time I talked to him) and wait as patiently as possible until I know exactly who has her and can contact the nga for contact info.

Patience is key.

(I keep telling myself this, anyway.)

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Great tips, and all things I'm learning! I haven't heard anything from Pizza Joint's current owner, but I know she's going to be bred so now I'm just waiting. I'm not even entirely sure who has her, so I'm anxious for a breeding to be reported so I can get a name, even though I know it'll be a while since she just retired in November. I haven't pestered her trainer, who does know who has her, which I'm proud of as I tend to be a worrier and not knowing things really messes with my head. I consistently have to reel myself in and trust that she's being well cared for (her trainer assured me she is last time I talked to him) and wait as patiently as possible until I know exactly who has her and can contact the nga for contact info.

Patience is key.

(I keep telling myself this, anyway.)

Hard isn't it????

Hard isn't it????

It is! I have a picture of her next to my bedroom door (that's just where it landed, I didn't think "Ah yes, I'll put this here" :lol) so I see it every morning and think "I should text her trainer. No, I shouldn't. He's busy and I don't want to bother him." But still... I wonder about her daily and it's so hard to not know if she'll be my pup eventually!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Husker Magic got win number 99 last night. With her next win she will become the 51st in the history of greyhound racing to get to 100 wins.

When you figure that well over 1 million greyhounds have stepped foot on a race track she is a very special greyhound.

I am so, so happy Magic is going to make this! We tried with Crackerman, but with a nagging recurring injury and 4.5 years old, the only way to do it would be to drop him down in grade. Nobody was willing to do that, so he retired with 93 SL AA marathon wins and 2 A marathon wins. He would have been the 48th hound to do it back then.

It looks like that was only win number 98. Apparently somewhere in the 90's it was reported she had win number 93 or 94 and it was really one less than reported. Shouldn't be a big deal as she should get to 100 soon.

Cracker was close, but you never want to see a dog like that drop in grade. it also shows how hard it is to get to 100.

He sure did. When I saw he drew the 1 box it was pretty much a given unless he totally missed his break.

The link you put up is showing Wheeling from today so hopefully this one works for the race you wanted to show.

http://www.trackinfo.com/video-box.jsp?raceid=gOP%2420160213E11

oops.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Holy petunias. Can't wait to see how she comes along!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.