First Time Pet Owners - Starter List Of Things To Have At Home For A G

Guest minwalker

Guest minwalker

Hello all,

New to this site and new to pets and new to greyhounds!! We are 3 weeks from bringing our grey home and wanted to make sure that we didnt forget anything as a NEW pet owner and specifically a grey owner. Here is what we have on hand:

- food bowl, waterer

- 3 dog beds

- crate (XL sized)

- 2 fleece coats with snood - thick and thin (live in MA)

- poop bags & dispensers

- large pet food container + pet food same as foster is giing him(grain free kibble)

- harness on order

- he will come with leash, martingale collar and muzzle

- chicken and beef jerky snacks

- small "GULPY" travel water container

- car hammock for back seat

- blankets

We were thinking of the following and would appreciate recommendations and a sanity check please:

- cleaning supplies (Natures Miracle or Eco-Source)

- dog tags

- training appointment and aids

- dog booties for the winter

- dog bathing (??) - not sure of the natural safe products on this one

- do we need extra leashes and collars?

- anything else??

Really appreciate any help we can get to look over and find the gaps for us. Thank you!!

M&W (Mina & Walker)

Guest Melissa516

You will need an elevated food and water bowl. You didn't specify what kind you had. Living in the NE, you'll also need a heavy winter coat. We got ours from here but I know a lot of people like these. You may also want to get a raincoat like this. As for the harness, you might want one with velvet lining on the straps that go around the chest. The regular ones caused irritation on both our dogs. Talk to your vet about heartworm and flea/tick preventatives. We use Natures Miracle for accidents. I'd get dog tags from somewhere like this. The ones that are made at the pet store will wear and don't last as long. Our dogs never wear booties, and we're in NY. Many greyhound owners are collar addicts... so yes you will probably need a new collar for every occasion! You may also want a tag collar so that you can take the martingale off in the house. You may also want a couple of baby gates if you are going to try to keep him out of parts of the house (or block stairs when you aren't there until you are sure he can handle them).

As for training, I wouldn't take your new greyhound to one of those big box pet store training sessions. If you feel like you really want to do formal training, see if you can get someone to come to the house who knows a bit about greyhounds. Others may be able to speak more to this, but that's my thought.

Then, of course, you'll need to make plans to attend the awesome greyhound events like GIG, Grapehounds, and Dewey!

I'm just rambling as I think of things!

Edited by Melissa516

Guest AimeeBee

Hi, welcome! I just moved from MA, there's a fantastic (and active!) greyhound community up there. We miss it a lot!

Anyway, sounds like you have it under control. Nature's Miracle is good to have around anyway for occasional "incidents" and I'd recommend having basic tags with your name/address/phone number made up to put on from day one. Dog shampoo/bathing stuff is nice to have, but you don't really need it right off the bat -- if you search the forums there are a few threads discussing recommendations on what works well. Your foster family most likely has given the dog their heartworm/flea and tick meds for the month (or will send it along), definitely get a vet visit scheduled to have a script made up for continuing coverage and to have a baseline "well dog" visit done. You most likely don't need boots -- I have a set and honestly rarely use/used them.

Personally, I keep extra leashes stashed all over the place -- a spare in the car, one where I keep our normal walking stuff, a collar and leash clipped up and easily reachable in the bedroom in case (god forbid) there is ever an emergency at night and we need to move quickly. But it's not necessarily what you need to survive your first week. You don't NEED extra collars but a visit to vendors/Etsy may convince you otherwise. Many of us *ahem* have a collar......collection :rofl . I also recommend getting a Kong (the large size regular red ones are good) -- great for occupying a crated dog. Oh! A tag collar is a pretty decent idea. Doesn't have to be fancy, but some people do not recommend leaving a martingale on an unattended dog (myself included) for safety reasons.

But really just take a deep breath and enjoy the process! Don't stress too much about all the "stuff" and everything being perfect. I know it's hard, just about exactly a year ago I was in your shoes adopting the first greyhound that was actually "mine". There will be moments where you wonder if you're in over your head -- you aren't! It will be ok! Utilize Greytalk, there are SO many amazingly knowledgeable people here.

Oh -- and remember :rules = we demand photos!

Edited by AimeeBee

Medical supplies like vet wrap, gauze, medical tape, and antibiotic ointment. Decide how you will cutting nails - I use a dremel.

Where are you in Mass - there are 3 walking groups - you can get some information at this link (one of the groups) --

http://greyhoundadventures.org/

pick up some of the books on adopting a racing greyhound so you can get familiar with some of their endearing characteristics like "statueing" on a walk ..

Some people disagree with elevated food bowls (just so you know). If you get one, avoid metal ones with open places where dog tags can snag as the dog is drinking/eating.

Check your jerky treats. If any of them were made in China (read the fine print all over the package), return them to the store. Note that companies may be U.S. based but still use sources from China.

Waterless shampoo is good for cleaning up messy spots on your dog when you don't want a full bath. You'll also want a Zoom Groom--like a rubber curry comb--for loosening and removing dead skin and hair; use the Zoom Groom, then wipe the dog with a wet paper towel to remove loosened skin and hair. (I put the hair in bushes outside my condo. Birds love it.)

Toothbrush and toothpaste. It has to be a canine toothpaste that's designed to be swallowed (no fluoride). You want a super-soft brush: believe it or not, a dog's teeth are softer than yours.

Engraved dog tag needs to have your cellphone number. If you ever have to hunt for a missing dog, you don't want to have to arrange for someone to monitor your home phone because you put that number on the tag. If you're not sure yet about the name, get a tag that says "I'm lost" and put your number. That will work until you're ready to get a real tag. (And save it in case you decide to foster dogs. I've got one that all my fosters have worn.)

You'll want a Kong. You can stuff it with kibble and other goodies and freeze it, then leave it with your dog when you can't be home. You want the second-largest size shown in this photo. Hint: Stand the Kong in an empty coffee mug to fill it--smaller end down--and plug the top opening with something like yogurt or cottage cheese or something. Then freeze the Kong, still in the mug to keep the kibble from falling out. (Be sure to subtract some kibble from dinner to compensate for the calories consumed from the Kong.)

Somewhere on Greytalk, there's a list of first aid essentials. I can't find it now, so I hope someone will post a link.

Definitely get a tag collar. A martingale is the safest collar for your dog to wear on walks but it should never be left on when you can't supervise your dog. (Other collars, if they get caught on something, get pulled wider around the dog's neck. If a martingale's loop gets caught, the collar gets pulled tighter--tight enough to choke a dog.) For a tag collar, I just bought regular buckle collars at PetSmart, and I got one with a reflective strip. I deliberately have it set loosely. When my boy stops abruptly, it shoots right over his head. In the house, it falls on the floor and I put it back on him; outside, it shoots over his head and hangs from his leash because the martingale is always higher on his neck than the tag collar. I put the tags on a clip so that I can move the clip from one collar to another easily. The tags are on the tag collar at home or on walks, get moved to a fancier martingale for meet and greets. You can get a Rubit clip; I just buy inexpensive clips in a three-pack from Michaels. If the noise from jingling tags becomes annoying, you can wrap the cluster of tags with a rubber band.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Camera. Lots of memory space on the card.

Lots of patience. You *may* get a greyhound who will walk in and settle on your couch like he's never been anywhere else. Most likely, there will be a period of adjustment to your home and routine that can last anywhere from a few days to a few months. Hold off on any heavy training until you know your dog a little better.

Don't try and overwhelm your new dog with everything at once. Let him/her explore and find out where things are in their own time. Show him/her a bed, where he sleeps (hopefully in the room with you), where he eats, where he goes potty. Then let him adapt at his own pace. Most greyhounds have a fairly "soft" personality and will sort of shut down if they get too much thrown at them at once. Enjoy this time getting to know one another!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Pet insurance. Do the research before the dog comes home, and enroll immediately when you get him. As in, the same day, or even the day before you pick him up. (We just had an overnight at the e-vet to the tune of $1100. 90% will come back.)

There are a ton of threads here about insurance. Typically, people seem to like Healthy Paws, Trupanion, and Embrace.

Think you're well covered. Relax and enjoy your new family member, and take it slow.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Ditto on avoiding the jerk treats due to country of origin production issues.

Most kennel dogs get a mix of donated brands kibble. Add to that the stress of transitioning to a new home so you'll want to keep food and treats simple for awhile to avoid poop issues.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Lygracilux

Congratulations! I bet you're so excited.

I live in MA too! Where about's are you/what adoption agency are you using?

We just adopted two months ago from GHF in Hopkinton. They were absolutely great.

We got really lucky with our boy,seriously the easiest dog I have ever owned. No aggression, no SA, learned everything very very easily, hes wonderful.

You seem extremely well covered when if comes to supplies. But as everyone said, a lot of time and patience and you will have a friend for life. The first few weeks to a month is a little tough as both of you will be adjusting; learning each other. But its also such a great experience. They just bring so much love and joy to your life.

Also as AimeeBee said "You don't NEED extra collars but a visit to vendors/Etsy may convince you otherwise." This is so true, I will spend hours on Etsy looking for Hound things instead of wedding planning things as I should be :'D

Make sure to ask any questions you have to the agency, vet, or us! You have already gotten some great advice so far. Everyone here is super helpful, idk what I would have done without them. No question is stupid haha.

Make sure you post lots of pics of your new pup!

Do you need more than one collar?

Hmmm... I wonder what the collar addicts of GT will say. :lol

Let's see. How many holidays and seasons are there? Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn. Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Gifts from others who think Annie needs something pink <blah>. You get the idea. Crowncollars.com is my favorite place to shop for leashes and collars.

Annie came with a 4' leash when adopted. I prefer a 6' leash.

Did you mention a couple of stuffies? I would buy cheap and only a couple until you find out if your Greyhound likes to play.

Booties: I live in the Albany, NY, area so my weather is probably similar to yours. I don't use booties on Annie. I do wash her feet when we return from a winter walk in case she got rock salt on them. I have a single-layer fleece for this time of year and a double-layer fleece coat for deep winter. Annie is a warm girl and even with the temperatures the past week in the teens or lower with a wind chill, the single-layer fleece coat, with the snood, was all she needed. Anything heavier, and she was panting.

Crates: If you can borrow one, all the better. You may find you don't need it. Annie hated her crate and it was used for less than 2 full days/nights.

Dog bathing: I may be the only person on here who doesn't regularly bathe her dog. I've had Annie almost 3-1/2 years and she's had a bath only once, about 2 months after adoption when she played in a mud puddle. She doesn't get dirty. She doesn't dig. She doesn't play in dirty places. She gets dusty as other "sleeping furniture" in my house does, but I brush her regularly as well as do a lot of petting to get rid of the dust and loose hair.

I don't give Annie jerky stuff or rawhide. I tried one of them once and she started choking. I'm not even fond of bully sticks because of the way she eats them; chewing and gulping. I'm afraid of her choking. There are plenty of other treats that she likes and that help with tarter. For a non-healthy, non-teeth-helping treat, try marshmallows. Annie *loves* them.

Did someone mention a toothbrush and dog toothpaste? Brushing teeth does help.

Guest minwalker

Hello All,

Wow - thank you so much for taking the time to send such detailed feedback. Yes bit of a nervous nellie here but having never had pets before, we are trying to err on the side of caution. Looks like we are in pretty good shape and will work on the recommendations and "red flags" as posted above.

Thank you again!

M&W

Guest alannamac

check your jerky snacks with your vet before feeding...huge amount of issues with stuff from China causing kidney damage in all sorts of pets....

the way pet food is regulated right now, food can say "made in USA" and still be sourced from China....be on your guard.

....all else sounds good.

you're in great shape and congratulations on your new adoption : )

You might want to delay shopping for additional collars for a while. Watch for auctions here on Greytalk, where your collar purchase will help a rescue group.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Definitely a tag collar and tags! An extra collar and leash are good. It's not always easy to find a decent fitting martingale locally, so if something happens to it it's good to have a spare. You also never know when you'll need a spare leash. Sailor isn't the best at telling me he needs to go out when he has diarrhea, so at night when he's sick I attach him to his leash, attach that to another leash, and put that leash around my ankle. If he starts moving around a lot I wake up and take him out.

Guest minwalker

Medical supplies like vet wrap, gauze, medical tape, and antibiotic ointment. Decide how you will cutting nails - I use a dremel.

Where are you in Mass - there are 3 walking groups - you can get some information at this link (one of the groups) --

http://greyhoundadventures.org/

pick up some of the books on adopting a racing greyhound so you can get familiar with some of their endearing characteristics like "statueing" on a walk ..

Thanks, MaryJane!

Own a couple of books on greys now and Greyhound adventures was teh group that we went on a walk with to see greyhounds with their parents :-) such an awesome group to work with.

Guest minwalker

Congratulations! I bet you're so excited.

I live in MA too! Where about's are you/what adoption agency are you using?

We just adopted two months ago from GHF in Hopkinton. They were absolutely great.

We got really lucky with our boy,seriously the easiest dog I have ever owned. No aggression, no SA, learned everything very very easily, hes wonderful.

You seem extremely well covered when if comes to supplies. But as everyone said, a lot of time and patience and you will have a friend for life. The first few weeks to a month is a little tough as both of you will be adjusting; learning each other. But its also such a great experience. They just bring so much love and joy to your life.

Also as AimeeBee said "You don't NEED extra collars but a visit to vendors/Etsy may convince you otherwise." This is so true, I will spend hours on Etsy looking for Hound things instead of wedding planning things as I should be :'D

Make sure to ask any questions you have to the agency, vet, or us! You have already gotten some great advice so far. Everyone here is super helpful, idk what I would have done without them. No question is stupid haha.

Make sure you post lots of pics of your new pup!

Hi there! We live in Northborough and adopting from Geminins Pampered Greyhounds! We decided on the foster route as we are just way too new to pets, period. Congratulations on wedding planning!

Maybe our greys can get together sometime after we know him better - we have nice fenced in yard that really was the reason to look at dogs for adopting!

M&W

Guest Lygracilux

Hi there! We live in Northborough and adopting from Geminins Pampered Greyhounds! We decided on the foster route as we are just way too new to pets, period. Congratulations on wedding planning!

Maybe our greys can get together sometime after we know him better - we have nice fenced in yard that really was the reason to look at dogs for adopting!

M&W

Awh thats so exciting!

It sounds like you are very well prepared.

Once you get your pup, let me know if you have any questions or need someone to talk to! Northborough is extremely close to me, as I live in Worcester. So that works perfectly.

I'd love for Fusion to have a play date down the road. (He getting sick of my mothers Iggy all the time) haha

Thanks, MaryJane!

Own a couple of books on greys now and Greyhound adventures was teh group that we went on a walk with to see greyhounds with their parents :-) such an awesome group to work with.

Welcome! Everything will be fine, you sound really prepared! Enjoy your time of getting to know your pup and all the excitement leading up to it!!

Just another note to add...If you are interested in doing training, there is a great Greyhounds Only obedience class through Especially for Pets in Westborough. We love the trainer and she was actually one of our references when we adopted our galgo. :)

Are you by chance the couple that we met on the walk at Worlds End?

Edited by Padfootx13

GT_signature4_zpsfaaf7821.jpg

Padfoot the greyhound fr. Coach Venom, Joined his forever family: 10-1-13

Lupin the galgo, Joined his forever family: 7-18-14
And the reptiles: Bernie the Bearded Dragon and Tonks the Russian Tortoise

Guest minwalker

Welcome! Everything will be fine, you sound really prepared! Enjoy your time of getting to know your pup and all the excitement leading up to it!!

Just another note to add...If you are interested in doing training, there is a great Greyhounds Only obedience class through Especially for Pets in Westborough. We love the trainer and she was actually one of our references when we adopted our galgo. :)

Are you by chance the couple that we met on the walk at Worlds End?

Padfoot and Lupin owners! We actually got inspired and have Neville and Dobby on our shortlist. In addition to 6 more - need to pick soon to order the tags but procrastinating sits well with us.

Yup we are the same couple that met you guys at World's End. Small world :-)

Thanks for the rec for obedience training - will check out the place. Only drive past it about 3x a week!