How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

AMF Sunny Lee ran 55 races between Jacksonville and Sanford Orlando with three at Jax and the rest at SO. Her problem was she needed the front to have a chance to win, but she didn't have much early speed. She only had one win and not many more 2nd's and 3rd's. She was 4th 10 times.

She also didn't close much so if she was near the back the of the pack at the 1st turn she would finish near the back and if she was 3rd, 4th or 5th at the turn she finished 3rd, 4th or 5th.

She was a D dog with her one win getting her to C before she dropped right back to D.

While not a great racer I'm sure she is a great pet.

Dick

Thank you, Dick!! I never knew she was in Jacksonville. She is a great pet ❤️ From what I understand her liter mate AMF Sunny Blaze was a bit better on the track. Thanks again!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Dick!! I never knew she was in Jacksonville. She is a great pet ❤️ From what I understand her liter mate AMF Sunny Blaze was a bit better on the track. Thanks again!

If you look at the first lines you will see OP and that stands for Orange Park so technically it isn't Jacksonville, we usually call OP Jacksonville. At one time there were three tracks in the area, OP, Jacksonville and St John's. They eventually consolidated the meets to one track and that was OP.

So they kept Jacksonville and St John's open as cardrooms and simulcast facilities, but the meet for their live dog racing was at OP.

Mega Batboy ran 211 races all at Caliente Mexico. He was a dog that needed to be either 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win. My guess is the races he won from 2nd was probably because the dog on the lead quit and came back to him because closing wasn't what he normally did.

He was all over the place in grade. He would win a couple in a row and run in A and then drop to B and stay there a while. Then he might drop to C and even D and hang there a while before winning and moving up again.

There were no breaks in his lines so he ran pretty much injury free.

Dick

Thank you! He's a solid little ball of muscle and almost looks like a bulldog instead of a greyhound -- I guess at 65 short, thick, pounds, he was tiny but mity when it came to a long racing career. :flip

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

How about June Bash and WTD Outsider?

WTD Outsider ran 130 races between Palm Beach, Victoryland and Daytona. He had no early speed and was often 6th, 7th or 8th out of the box and at the turn. Sometimes he would stay at the back and finish in the last 4 and other times he would fly down the stretch to either hit the board or win. When he fired he was a pretty good closer.

June bash ran 140 races between Gulf, St Pete. and Daytona. She had good early speed and while she didn't have to be on the lead at the turn to win, she had to be in the top three. Once she got the lead the race was over as she was never picked up.

There are a few races where she got the lead early and won by 6, 8 even 10 lengths.

Yeah, that about sums up their races in the back yard. Junie is still a quick little thing and Sider gets frustrated that he can't catch her :lol

This is so cool! How about my pending adoption: Kiowa Kay Study ? Thanks!

Kiowa Kay Study ran 79 races between Flagler and Naples, both very good tracks. She was a dog that needed to on top at the turn to have a chance to win and she was on top many times. She won 11 races, but could be picked up in the stretch. A couple of times she did win from 2nd, but that was probably more the dog in front of her quitting and not her really closing to catch the dog.

She varied from A to C and while she did win an A race she could also go a number of races where she didn't break well and would drop to C or even D.

Overall a pretty good racer.

Good luck on your pending adoption.

Dick

Guest Tuxsmom

Dick, thank you 😊. There's such a science to this! I watched some of her wins on track info. My husband thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then he says "I hope she turns out to be cat safe" after watching her run her little heart out to catch that rabbit 😆. I explained there is not necessarily a correlation between the two.

Edited by Tuxsmom

Dick, thank you . There's such a science to this! I watched some of her wins on track info. My husband thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then he says "I hope she turns out to be cat safe" after watching her run her little heart out to catch that rabbit . I explained there is not necessarily a correlation between the two.

You are right that there is no correlation between cat safe and chasing the lure. The dogs that won't chase have already been weeded out at the finishers and have been adopted out. It's a waste of money to keep trying to get a dog to chase if he doesn't want to. Every once in a while you will see the comment "refused" and that is a dog that was finished and went to the track and decided he didn't want to run anymore.

So in 100% of the dogs that went on to race, they also had to chase. A few decided later that they were done chasing.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

Wondering what you can find out about:

Halo Mr Pete and/ or Superior Reality.

Thanks

Nancy

Hallo Mr. Pete ran about 140 races at Wheeling, one of our best tracks. He ran most of his races at the longer 678 yard distance. Most tracks their 3/8th distance is 660 yds, but at Wheeling it's 678. He was a very good racer spending most of his career in A or AA. Jax didn't have to be in front early in order to win, but he had to be close 2nd, 3rd or 4th so he could close a little bit. He never showed a lot of early speed that would get him on top from the start, but occasionally he would hit his break and be on top and he was gone, winning easily.

There are only two small breaks in his lines and both were only for about a month. So nothing serious and when the break shows a month that means the dog was only rested for a couple of weeks because he would have been morning schooling a few times before official schooling. Sometimes there is no injury and it is a planned rest or an unplanned rest because the dog is running poorly and needs some time off.

Superior Reality ran over 90 races between Dubuque, Naples and one race at Mardi Gras. She ran all her races at the sprint distance of 550 yards. She had no speed out of the box usually being 6th, 7th or 8th on the break. She may or may not rush the turn sometimes being 3rd or 4th, but many times being 5th or 6th. So in general whatever she was going to do would be done in the run down the backstretch to the finish line. While she wasn't a dynamic closer she could close and go from 6th or 7th to 3rd or 4th. If she was better positioned at the turn she could come from 4th to win. While she did get to grade A once she was a nice B/C dog that was in the money over 50 percent of the time.

Nice hard trying dog that ran a very good tracks.

Thanks so much :) !!

We were told that Hallo Mr Pete ( our Jax) lived at the kennel for about a year after his last race before going to the adoption group. Is that common and why might that be?

If you are up for it I had 2 others:

Pireaus and Magic Candela

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Thanks so much :) !!

We were told that Hallo Mr Pete ( our Jax) lived at the kennel for about a year after his last race before going to the adoption group. Is that common and why might that be?

If you are up for it I had 2 others:

Pireaus and Magic Candela

Whether at the racing kennel or the adoption kennel at the track a year is a long time. Being a black dog doesn't help.

There is not much information on Pireaus. Back when she was running all races were put in by hand by anyone who wanted to do it. So there are many dogs that raced that show no races. People still enter old races by hand so some day some races with Pireaus may get added, She shows four races and her last on she was moved from Shoreline in CT to Lakes region in NH and she ran 2nd in that last race. So my guess is she ran more races and they aren't entered.

With Magic Candela only 30 races show, but she ran a lot more than that because the first races that show on Greyhound Data are from Jan. 2006 and she was born in April 2003. What those 32 races show is she had great speed out of the box and to the turn more often than not being on top at the turn. That type of speed often comes at a price at the end of the race as she would tire badly and get passed by many dogs. Of the 30 races that show she has two wins, two 2nds seven 3rds and one 4th. So as you can see dropping to 3rd and out of the money was common.

• 2 weeks later...

JS Big Brandy? From what I've seen, she didn't seem to be very good :hehe

Curious as to your thoughts about her!

You hit the nail on the head, she wasn't very good. She only had two official maiden races and a number of schooling races. She was last in all the schooling races except for one and she had a 4th in one of her maiden races. There isn't much to say. She had no early speed and no late speed. LOL

I'm positive she is a better pet than a racer.

Guest johnnydrum

Hello

My girl Sasha was called Fairy Hill Diva, born in April 2014 in Ireland but raced here in the UK

I almost find it hard to believe she ever raced, as she is sooo snoozy.

lol

Just adopted, Rico's Sepultura, any news on her?

She only ran 9 races, all maiden, and had a couple of 4ths. Shwe had just a little early speed those couple of 4ths, but for the most part wasn't a good breaker or finisher.

Hello

My girl Sasha was called Fairy Hill Diva, born in April 2014 in Ireland but raced here in the UK

I almost find it hard to believe she ever raced, as she is sooo snoozy.

lol

Sasha ran 9 races with two 1sts and two 2nds. From the little I could tell it looked like she had early speed and sometimes got caught in the stretch. Not a lot to go on.

Very cool analyses! I've seen my boy John Reese's stats and some of his races, what do you think?

I think he's the bee's knees, but I am his Momma! :wub:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Very cool analyses! I've seen my boy John Reese's stats and some of his races, what do you think?

I think he's the bee's knees, but I am his Momma! :wub:

John Reese was a really good racer running 139 races at Southland, our best track. He was in the money 100 of those 139 races and a number of those races were in AA. He had a little early speed many times breaking 3rd or 4th and other times more towards the back of the pack. But, he could finish a little and if he was in the top three heading down the backstretch he had a chance to win and even if he didn't win he almost never lost position.

He was just a very consistent dog that ran hard almost every race.

Thanks! From some of the races I watched, he got bumped a few times and fell. So he would swing wide in the corners to avoid that. Of course watching his victories is awesome! :yay

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Running wide was his style and he never wanted to be boxed in. So you are right he didn't want to be there. A dogs running style is wired in them, it's part of their DNA. Even pups from the same litter can have very different running styles and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Just like changing leads, left on the corners and right in the straightaways, is wired into them.