How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

Guest johnnydrum

She only ran 9 races, all maiden, and had a couple of 4ths. Shwe had just a little early speed those couple of 4ths, but for the most part wasn't a good breaker or finisher.

Sasha ran 9 races with two 1sts and two 2nds. From the little I could tell it looked like she had early speed and sometimes got caught in the stretch. Not a lot to go on.

Thank you so much

I cant wait to see her run free (still getting her used to retirement though)

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a very shy girl just into foster care GOGO Georgia

GOGO Georgia ran 170 races with almost all of them at St.Pete and just a few at Southland. She had no early speed many times breaking 6th, 7th or 8th. She also didn't have much of a rush to the turn, maybe improving one position. You don't run 170 races by running poorly all the way around the track and what GOGO Georgia did best was finish. With only 18 wins most races even entering the stretch she would be 5th or 6th and close to get 3rd or 4th. If she was closer entering the stretch was when she had a chance to win or be second.

She was a hard trying B/C dog that did make it to A a number of times, but never won A. I don't see any big breaks in her lines so she was never hurt.

Guest braun

We adopted Coach Crossland but know nothing about racing. He is only 2 so I am assuming he wasn't great. We love him anyways!!! :)

We adopted Coach Crossland but know nothing about racing. He is only 2 so I am assuming he wasn't great. We love him anyways!!! :)

Coach Crossland only ran 7 races at Birmingham and has one 3rd and four 4ths. He usually broke near the middle of pack, 3rd or 4th, and would stay in that position all the way around, not passing anyone and not getting passed most of those 7 races.

There isn't much else to tell from 7 races.

Dick

Guest braun

Coach Crossland only ran 7 races at Birmingham and has one 3rd and four 4ths. He usually broke near the middle of pack, 3rd or 4th, and would stay in that position all the way around, not passing anyone and not getting passed most of those 7 races.

There isn't much else to tell from 7 races.

Dick

Thank you!!! More than I could decipher from his stats :)

We adopted Gunnah and we are going to bring him home next week. I understand he ran over 200 races at Derby Lane.

Thanks.

Gunnah ran 201 races all at DL. He usually had no early speed and was out of the box 6th, 7th or 8th many times. However he would occasionally hit his break and be out on top. Those races were usually the races he won and they were usually in D. he won 20 of his 28 races in D so he was basically a C/D dog, but he did win in B and ran in A.

The races he broke poorly he usually closed and a number of times he finished 3rd or 4th in those races. He was in the money just under 100 times which is pretty good. There are only a couple of small breaks in his lines and he either had a minor injury or just given a break for a couple of weeks. Sometimes they just get a rest.

What do you think of "Fortunate Son"? I adopted him 2 weeks ago, after he retired from standing stud.....

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

What do you think of "Fortunate Son"? I adopted him 2 weeks ago, after he retired from standing stud.....

Fortunate Son ran 139 races with most of them at Wheeling, one of our best tracks, and a few at Valley. He was a really good racer being in the money 89 out of those 139 starts with most of those races being either A or AA.

His break was good and his rush to the turn was good. So he would break 4th or 5th and rush the turn and be 2nd, 3rd or 4th a number of times. From there he could close a little and many time improve his position. He was 1st or 2nd fifty-five times. Once in a while he would break on top and usually when that happened it was just a matter of how much he was going to win by.

Gunnah ran 201 races all at DL. He usually had no early speed and was out of the box 6th, 7th or 8th many times. However he would occasionally hit his break and be out on top. Those races were usually the races he won and they were usually in D. he won 20 of his 28 races in D so he was basically a C/D dog, but he did win in B and ran in A.

The races he broke poorly he usually closed and a number of times he finished 3rd or 4th in those races. He was in the money just under 100 times which is pretty good. There are only a couple of small breaks in his lines and he either had a minor injury or just given a break for a couple of weeks. Sometimes they just get a rest.

Thank you, dmdsmoxie, for the information about our new boy!

We are looking forward to bringing him home and start spoiling him - just five more sleeps!

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

I've looked at the track info for our boy KB's Atlas, but I'd love a more in-depth reading.

When he runs with other greyhounds for fun at the dog park, he seems to have good stamina, but doesn't corner too well and tends to wait until everyone else is running, then puts on the speed to catch up to the pack. Is this indicative of his racing style at all?

Thanks so much!

Loving life with my first greyhound Max (4 year old dark brindle boy)! :wub:

Check out our hiking blog! www.greythikes.blogspot.com

I've looked at the track info for our boy KB's Atlas, but I'd love a more in-depth reading.

When he runs with other greyhounds for fun at the dog park, he seems to have good stamina, but doesn't corner too well and tends to wait until everyone else is running, then puts on the speed to catch up to the pack. Is this indicative of his racing style at all?

Thanks so much!

I would say running at the park and racing are two different things because at the park he is playing with no competition to try and catch something.

KB's Atlas ran 47 races mostly at Southland and a few at Naples. He only had one win and three 2nds so he wasn't a very good racer. His problem was he needed to break in the top three to run well and he had very little early speed so you can see that is a problem. Most races he broke 6th, 7th or 8th and Southland runs a couple of nine dog races a night and when he was in them he sometimes broke 9th.

When he did hit his break and was in the top three to the turn was when he finished in the top four and when he was first or second to the turn was when he had his first or second place finishes.

Because he didn't close he tended to finish about where he was at the first turn.

No matter how fast or slow they were at the track they still draw attention at the park when they turn on the jets.

Dick

I guess he is another "better on the couch" greyhound! Thank you so much for the interpretation, this thread is such a fascinating read.

Loving life with my first greyhound Max (4 year old dark brindle boy)! :wub:

Check out our hiking blog! www.greythikes.blogspot.com

I guess he is another "better on the couch" greyhound! Thank you so much for the interpretation, this thread is such a fascinating read.

These are the average winning sprint times in the different grades at Wheeling this year

AA 29.53

A 29.68

B 29.65

C 29.72

D 29.82

M 30.21

You can see there is very little difference from AA to D and even maiden there is only 7 tenths of a second difference. So no matter what grade your dog is in and even if he wasn't a good racer he was still pretty fast. Dogs that come in 5th or 6th will many times only be a half a second behind the leader. 14 lengths behind the winner is about 1 second.

There is a lot more to racing than running fast and many times the fastest of the litter is not the best racer.

Could you look at Slatex Keystone? Thank you!

Slatex Keystone ran 38 races between Southland, Mardi Gras and Palm Beach. He didn't have a lot of early speed many times breaking 4th or 5th, sometimes worse. Breaking like this he had trouble getting up to win, but he could close from almost anywhere to be 4th and at times 3rd. When he hit his break and was 2nd or 3rd to the turn was when he had his chances to win and he did that three times always in the lower grades.

Then on January 9th something troubling happened, he schooled and checked at the wire. Dogs will sometimes check a turn, that means their head comes up, ears up they are stopping. Dogs will sometimes check the escape turn, where the lure goes into the catch box, because they think the race is over, especially a dog that is running a longer distance for the first time. But, to check at the wire, or finish line, means only one thing, he is a fighter. We call them fighters, but most times they are going to play with another dog not fight. Either way that is bad as you can't interfere with another dog. He schools another time and then he runs three C races and interferes in the fourth and they throw him off the track. He goes to Mardi Gras.

He schools a number of times with no problems and runs five D races, but falls in the 5th and comes back in a month except he is at Palm Beach. I think because Mardi Gras is a seasonal track and their meet closed.

His first schooling race at PB his comment is raced recklessly. That isn't good as he is looking to fight. He schools again and has no problems. His second real race at PB he interferes and he is done racing.

So that is the tale of your fighting/playing dog.

Dick

Hi Dick,

I was wondering if you could find any information on my boy FA Ready. I was told he never raced, I assumed because he was too shy.

I would also love to have your input on Easi Daphne.

Thanks!

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Hi Dick,

I was wondering if you could find any information on my boy FA Ready. I was told he never raced, I assumed because he was too shy.

I would also love to have your input on Easi Daphne.

Thanks!

Easi Daphne ran 13 races all at Ebro a lower end track. She had some early speed and needed to be on top at the turn to have a chance to win. She could get caught in the stretch and usually did. She had one win, one second and two thirds in those 13 races.

As far as FA Ready I'm sure you are right that he never raced because I can't find anything on him. As far as not racing because he is shy I would say that isn't the reason. While there is a big difference between shy and a spook some true genetic spooks were the best racers. So being shy wouldn't be why he didn't race, probably just not fast enough.

Probably one of the top three dogs that ever set a paw on a track, Westy Whizzer, was a true genetic spook. He is in many of your dogs pedigrees.

If you want me to add your name as the adopted owner and put some comment in the comment box just post on here what you want.

Dick

Thanks Dick! Very cool information. Ready AKA Rebel isn't one for chasing either. Squirrels and rabbits don't phase him, unlike Daphne who goes crazy.

If you don't mind, I would like your input on a couple of other hounds. My good old Plainfield babies!

R and A Carolina. She seemed to have one burst of energy and afterwards turned into a slug.

Jumpstart Dude. He could run and run forever.

Driven by Energy. I was told she raced at Plainfield and also Lincoln. I haven't been able to find any racing lines for her though at all.

Thanks!

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Thanks Dick! Very cool information. Ready AKA Rebel isn't one for chasing either. Squirrels and rabbits don't phase him, unlike Daphne who goes crazy.

If you don't mind, I would like your input on a couple of other hounds. My good old Plainfield babies!

R and A Carolina. She seemed to have one burst of energy and afterwards turned into a slug.

Jumpstart Dude. He could run and run forever.

Driven by Energy. I was told she raced at Plainfield and also Lincoln. I haven't been able to find any racing lines for her though at all.

Thanks!

R and A Carolina shows 14 races at Plainfield, but she ran more than that. Back then all races were put in by hand and many races are not on G-D yet. In those 14 races she doesn't show much. No early speed at all and just a couple of times improved her position a little at the end of the race.

Jumpstart Dude shows 59 races at Plainfield. His break was decent, 3rd or 4th a number of times and sometimes he hit his break and was 1st or 2nd to the turn. It was these times that he ran well and could either win or be 2nd. While he wasn't a dog that ran backwards during the race, so he wasn't losing positions, he also wasn't a dog that would improve his position so the break and rush to the turn was important for him.

Nothing on Driven by Energy, sorry.

Guest Zigglet

Hello! this is so fun! I'm wondering if you can find anything on our new boy, TB's Itz so easy. 4/7/2014. He's a young boy so wondering if he had any accidents or injuries. Our last dog was a medical handful, so just curious.

Hello! this is so fun! I'm wondering if you can find anything on our new boy, TB's Itz so easy. 4/7/2014. He's a young boy so wondering if he had any accidents or injuries. Our last dog was a medical handful, so just curious.

TB's Itz so easy ran 15 races between Gulf, Melborne and Pensacola. He was a dog that needed to be on top at the turn to have a chance to win. 10 of those races were at Gulf which is a nice mid-level track and he had trouble getting to the top at the turn there. He was on top once and won his maiden race by a large margin, but other than that he languished at the back of the pack at Gulf.

He was moved to Melbourne which is a low end track and runs a short three month meet. He schooled a number of times, not part of the 15 official races, and showed he could close a little at this track with a little lesser competition. In his first official graded race he broke on top and went box to wire for an easy win in D. In C he had a little trouble running four races and being near the back of the pack in three of them, but the fourth race he ran well and closed to be 2nd.

The Melbourne meet ended and he was moved to Pensacola. He ran one D race and ran poorly and was rested for 6 weeks. He came back, ran a schooling race and pulled up. While a pulled up can be a number of things the first thing you think of is a broken hock. I assume the adoption group didn't tell you he had a broken hock so I assume that isn't what made him pull up. A torn whip muscle is another possibility, but anything I guess is just that, a guess.

So my guess is whatever the injury, the fact your pup was running at a low end track helped make the owners decide to adopt him out rather than keep running after the injury. Since you seem to not know if the dog had an injury, and neither do I, you may want to ask your vet the next time your pup is there if he thinks the hock on the right rear leg, that is the most common one to break, was broken.

Dick

Most Likely 01/19/2013

Now I feel old, I watched one of her grandmothers run (Bow Moneybags) and two of her great grandmothers (Bow Jewel and Stylish Lilla) Lilla was one of the sweetest greys I've ever met and a fine racer.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin