How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

Thanks for the info on our Wish,Dick!:)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuzzys Joy Behar Ran 17 races at Sarasota. She did school at Mardi Gras, but never ran a maiden race there. She had one good maiden win going box to wire, but had a lot of trouble breaking after that. She was near the back the back of the pack most of her other races because she had trouble breaking. She did drop to E and won that race, but overall she was destined to be on your couch and not at the track.

Thanks.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Dick - thank you for the analysis of Gable Teletubbie. He is a total doll and to learn he was so successful in his racing career is interesting as providers of the forever couch. :) We suspected he must have been a pretty good racer from the info we can see on GD - making sense of the numbers and the comments is a little intimidating for pet owners sometimes so thank you so much for breaking it down for us!

I'll post pictures and copy on the other thread you referenced after our adoption of him is finalized later this week. Thanks for letting us know how to do that and being willing to make the pet updates for all of us GTers. ~ Jennifer

Jennifer, mom to Galen (GableTeletubbie) and Trixie fka Mooch (MostAggressive)
Always missing Connie (Connies Fullofit) and Chase (No Worries aka "Ace") & IG Angels Velvet and Bitsy

Guest WildSparkler

I have always been interested to understand what all the track info meant!

Racing name: Wild Sparkler

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog.jsp?runnername=Wild+Sparkler

She retired at 2 years old, but not sure if there were any injuries or just no good:) Also, if there are any videos, I would love to see! But from what I can tell she only raced at the one track that didn't have any videos.

Thank-you!:)

I have always been interested to understand what all the track info meant!

Racing name: Wild Sparkler

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog.jsp?runnername=Wild+Sparkler

She retired at 2 years old, but not sure if there were any injuries or just no good:) Also, if there are any videos, I would love to see! But from what I can tell she only raced at the one track that didn't have any videos.

Thank-you! :)

Wild Sparkler ran 50 races all at Mobile.She had a little early speed and could get to the turn 2nd, 3rd or 4th, however she wasn't a good closer so usually stayed around 2nd, 3rd or 4th. If she got to the turn near the back of the pack that was where she stayed most of the time. So while she was in the money a number of times, winning was tough for her.

Unfortunately there are no videos from Mobile.

I would say she was retired because her last 10 races or so were not very good except for her last race where she ran 2nd in grade E. I would guess the decision had been made before that race to retire her and that is what they did.

I see no indication of an injury although not every potentil injury shows up in the charts.

Dick

• 3 weeks later...

We are fostering Most Aggressive (aka "Mooch"; DOB Jun 15, 2010; tattoo: 60C-53784). Would you please give me the color on her racing career?

Most Aggressive ran 80 races all at Wheeling one of our best tracks. She was all about speed, getting to the turn on top and taking that speed all the way to the finish line if she could. She ran the early part of her career in A and AA. Later in her career she was more B and C with a little A thrown in.

While she could get caught she didn't give the lead up easily.

Most Aggressive ran 80 races all at Wheeling one of our best tracks. She was all about speed, getting to the turn on top and taking that speed all the way to the finish line if she could. She ran the early part of her career in A and AA. Later in her career she was more B and C with a little A thrown in.

While she could get caught she didn't give the lead up easily.

Thank you for the analysis. I will pass it along to her adoptive family, if we don't fail in our first attempt at fostering. :) She may be staying right here...

Jennifer, mom to Galen (GableTeletubbie) and Trixie fka Mooch (MostAggressive)
Always missing Connie (Connies Fullofit) and Chase (No Worries aka "Ace") & IG Angels Velvet and Bitsy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rubbles_Mom

Thanks dmdsmoxie for looking up all this info. I've looked up my newbie's info but don't understand it. Cals Bambam Sam, born 7/3/11. Thank you!

Hi Dick,

What can you tell me about a dog named Super Hero?

Thanks, Marge

Super Hero ran over 140 races between Flagler, Mardi Gras, Sarasota, Orange Park and Pensacola. Her biggest problem was she was pretty good getting out of the box, but had no rush to the turn. This is always a huge problem for a dog because if you get out 2nd, 3rd or 4th and have no rush the other dogs catch you and you get in trouble at the turn many times. Once around the turn she could close some and had a lot of 3rd and 4th place finishes. If she didn't get eaten up at the turn she would have a chance to win or be 2nd.

She had 11 wins, 19 2nds, 30 3rds and 23 4ths. If she had any rush to the turn she would have had a lot more wins and 2nds, but she was what she was.

She ran hard most races because it isn't easy to have dogs catch and pass you and then come back and pass them again.

Thanks dmdsmoxie for looking up all this info. I've looked up my newbie's info but don't understand it. Cals Bambam Sam, born 7/3/11. Thank you!

Cals Bambam Sam Ran 69 races between Daytona Beach and Mobile. He did school a couple of times at Palm Beach. Cals Bambam Sam had no early speed and was many times 6th, 7th or 8th out of the box. However, he could close, but not with one burst of speed down the stretch, he just gradually passed dogs throughout the race. He might be 8th out of the box and 7th to the turn and 5th at the far turn and finish 3rd. Just a long gradual gain of position.

Dick

Super Hero ran over 140 races between Flagler, Mardi Gras, Sarasota, Orange Park and Pensacola. Her biggest problem was she was pretty good getting out of the box, but had no rush to the turn. This is always a huge problem for a dog because if you get out 2nd, 3rd or 4th and have no rush the other dogs catch you and you get in trouble at the turn many times. Once around the turn she could close some and had a lot of 3rd and 4th place finishes. If she didn't get eaten up at the turn she would have a chance to win or be 2nd.

She had 11 wins, 19 2nds, 30 3rds and 23 4ths. If she had any rush to the turn she would have had a lot more wins and 2nds, but she was what she was.

She ran hard most races because it isn't easy to have dogs catch and pass you and then come back and pass them again.

Thanks so much for the information Dick. I wondered...is it possible to find out old info? I'd love to know how my bridge pups ran - Kuchur and Adelheide. Thanks again.

Marge & Bob with Jane (Jane Krakowski) and Nora the cat.  Missing hounds Heidi, Macho, Blair and Henry, and kitties Penny and Isa.

Thanks so much for the information Dick. I wondered...is it possible to find out old info? I'd love to know how my bridge pups ran - Kuchur and Adelheide. Thanks again.

I look at the lines on GD and Trackinfo.

Kuchur ran over 70 races between Wonderland and Raynham. He wasn't usually a great breaker, but when he rushed the turn and was 3rd or better he was usually in the money or won. His problem was many times he broke 6th, 7th or 8th and didn't get to the turn in a position to challenge for the win.

He was a pretty good racer spending a lot of his career in B and A. He would drop to C, but usually after a few racer would win and be back in B.

Adelheide shows 27 races all at Raynham. She was all about speed. She would be 1st, 2nd or 3rd out of the box and she would have to make the turn 1st. From there she would carry that speed to the stretch abd hope to hang on for the win.

She was what we call short, meaning she had trouble going the 550 yards, so she only won one race.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, can you give me any info on pd Patsy Cline, born 2-14-2013 from Daytona Beach.

Thanks

Pd Patsy Cline ran 12 schooling races at three different tracks, Flagler, Naples and Daytona. She didn't do well in any of those schooling races finishing 6th, 7th or 8th in many of them. She showed no early speed, no rush to the turn and no closing ability. That combination made her an early candidate to end up on your couch where I am sure she is a great pet.

Dick

Guest topspeed5280

Pd Patsy Cline ran 12 schooling races at three different tracks, Flagler, Naples and Daytona. She didn't do well in any of those schooling races finishing 6th, 7th or 8th in many of them. She showed no early speed, no rush to the turn and no closing ability. That combination made her an early candidate to end up on your couch where I am sure she is a great pet.

Dick

Thanks Dick, we thought pd Patsy Kline, now "Roamee", might have had a short racing career due to her young age when we adopted her. You are right about her being a great pet. We are happy to have her.

Hi Dick,

Can you tell me anything about my girl Wendy? Her racing name is Lost Footing. Thank you in advance!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Hi Irene,

All that shows are two schooling races at Mardi Gras and she ran last in both of them. One of them she was OOP, which is out of picture, but not because she fell, but because she was outrun. Many tracks stop the finish line camera after 25 lengths behind.

She ran in 2007 when races on GD were still put in by hand and she shows no races on GD. These two schooling races show up on Trackinfo so there is nothing to really go by. Mardi Gras is a good track so I would think they would have tried her at a lower end track before retiring her, but I have no way of knowing that for sure.

They may have thought she ran so poorly that it was best to retire her.

Dick

Guest Marie_Imbrium

Hi Dick,

I was wondering if you could do a writeup of a dog that raced in Ireland/the UK. I have all his info, but I'd need to send it to you privately as the adoption kennel who homed him with me said there were "problems" with the original trainer (trying ot get him back, keeping him in unsafe conditons, etc...), so we've changed his name and basically hidden his background.

if you can't, no worries, I was just curious, and it's a cool thing you do :)

-Marie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dick,

Thank you for de-coding all the track data for us. What is your take on our current foster, Mega Bat Boy?

Thanks!

V

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Hi Dick,

Thank you for de-coding all the track data for us. What is your take on our current foster, Mega Bat Boy?

Thanks!

V

Mega Batboy ran 211 races all at Caliente Mexico. He was a dog that needed to be either 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win. My guess is the races he won from 2nd was probably because the dog on the lead quit and came back to him because closing wasn't what he normally did.

He was all over the place in grade. He would win a couple in a row and run in A and then drop to B and stay there a while. Then he might drop to C and even D and hang there a while before winning and moving up again.

There were no breaks in his lines so he ran pretty much injury free.

Dick

Could you provide me with info on : AMF Sunny Lee ?

TIA!!

AMF Sunny Lee ran 55 races between Jacksonville and Sanford Orlando with three at Jax and the rest at SO. Her problem was she needed the front to have a chance to win, but she didn't have much early speed. She only had one win and not many more 2nd's and 3rd's. She was 4th 10 times.

She also didn't close much so if she was near the back the of the pack at the 1st turn she would finish near the back and if she was 3rd, 4th or 5th at the turn she finished 3rd, 4th or 5th.

She was a D dog with her one win getting her to C before she dropped right back to D.

While not a great racer I'm sure she is a great pet.

Dick