Adding Weight Ideas - Without Satin Balls

Hubcitypam

I have a...well...I don't know what he is in more ways than one.

He is a dog of questionable parentage. Maybe some collie, some golden, some shepherd, some traveling salesman. He lived with his Mom and three smaller terrier type dogs on acreage east of here in Terrell. My neighbor has the land next door for her horses.

Cody's Mom is a pharmacist who is now serving a 5 year prison term for overfilling controlled substance meds. Two doctors also went to jail. The little dogs were all adopted out but no one wanted the big 'ol dawg. He was living outside a trailer owned by an elderly man. My neighbor asked if I'd take him and see what happened with the assurance he could go back to the old man if he didn't work. She put her credit card down at my vet for his needs and paid half his groom - he was very matted.

Back from the sidetrack - He is super skinny and not food motivated at all. The vet said he could use 10 pounds. I

m trying to think of something that would put weight on him without involving ground beef which is ridiculously high right now. Ideas?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

This may sound a bit backwards, but exercise... Not an inane amount, but let him work up a tiny bit of an appetite? Otherwise I would break out the crockpot. Rice, meat, gravy, plus whatever leftovers are in the fridge. Slow cooked for 12 hours. Should make everyone in the house hungry.

------

Jessica

Peanut butter? PopTarts? Velveeta? Will he eat raw? The Hispanic grocery stores here have slightly questionable random chicken pieces for almost no money. Sometimes unidentifiable pork things, too.

My guess is that you could feed Cody Jujubees and licorice whips and his poo would bounce to the ceiling. He's a doggy-dog! (and cute as all hell)

I don't know if it is true, but I have heard that oatmeal can help a dog gain weight. You could buy some cheap chicken parts (like the bagged thighs) and boil them along with some oatmeal to give it a better smell. Then shred the chicken into the oatmeal. Cottage cheese also works well. If any of your stores sell beefheart that is a great food as well. Full of nutrients and quite cheap.

Guest WhiteWave

Chicken and rice? Chicken quarters are usually pretty cheap, 59-69cent/lb. I boil them, removed the chicken, make rice the broth, debone chicken after it cools and save all of it skin/fat/meat. Sometimes if they like it, I add 1/2 lb chicken liver. Mix it up and add it over the kibble. It seems to put weight on fast. If they don't like rice, you can use pasta or oatmeal, but I find mine prefer rice.

If you can get him to eat more kibble, that would help -- concentrated calories. Making some broth out of chicken livers (or other offal) and drizzling that over his kibble might increase his interest. Not sure what kibbles you can get easily (and for not too much $$) that would be higher calorie, depends on your stores.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest WhiteWave

Could I feed him a better form of puppy chow or another higher calorie food? Welcome suggestions for higher calorie foods.

I'll get some chicken quarters tomorrow. After Poodle's pancreatitis Fat and skin scare me but as Riverhound said - he's a doggy dog.

How old a dog is he? Healthy other than being thin? Pro Plan Performance works great, I tried all high end foods and Joey eats Pro Plan Performance. It keeps weight on him, firm poop and a glossy coat. They do sell small bags if you want to try it. I use it for all my shelter dog fosters that come to me thin. It can put weight on quickly and rarely upsets their tummies. I add the chicken and rice over it and within a week, you have a different dog as long as there are no underlying health issues.

For a small budget and if he has no allergies and the ingredients do not bother you, Diamond Hi Energy- downside you have to buy a 50lb bag and if he won't eat it, that is a lot of food unless you check with the store about returns. But years ago when I was fostering for one Greyhound group, they fed all the hounds that food coming off the track and while I snubbed it at first, the dogs did really well on it and one month when I had a super tight budget all my dogs ate it and none had an issue surprisingly. I had more of an issue as I couldn't get past the ingredient panel.

Canned puppy food. That advice was given to me by an expert in putting weight on skinnies and old dawgs. It has worked well for us here.

Thanks for helping this guy, Pam.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

They said he was three, but my vet said he thinks he's not reached 3 yet. I will try the Pro Plan Performance. I seem to think Purina One Beyond is fairly high calorie too and it is very good ingredient wise.

I was thinking about tossing Mighty Dog into his kibble. My vet in IL told that it was so high in fat and calories it was like chocolate fudge for dogs.

Could I feed him a better form of puppy chow or another higher calorie food? Welcome suggestions for higher calorie foods.

I'll get some chicken quarters tomorrow. After Poodle's pancreatitis Fat and skin scare me but as Riverhound said - he's a doggy dog.

Jeffie is on puppy food now. He started off OK on Satin Balls, but then produced horrible diarrhoea so we took him off them (he wasn't getting them every day, but whenever I did do them for him he'd explode). We now give him Almo Nature Holistic 'puppy' and he's looking really good - for him! - but most supermarkets/pet food manufacturers do cheap canned puppy food. If you add that to 'Doggy Dog's' kibble he'll probably love the mushy, stinky stuff and do really well, too!

Edited to add: Yeah, satin ball mix is hugely expensive, isn't it? Not just the beef, but the eggs and all the extras really push the price-per-pound up.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Additional thought that Cody might need de-worming.

He sounds like a cute guy :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

How old a dog is he? Healthy other than being thin? Pro Plan Performance works great, I tried all high end foods and Joey eats Pro Plan Performance. It keeps weight on him, firm poop and a glossy coat. They do sell small bags if you want to try it. I use it for all my shelter dog fosters that come to me thin. It can put weight on quickly and rarely upsets their tummies. I add the chicken and rice over it and within a week, you have a different dog as long as there are no underlying health issues.

For a small budget and if he has no allergies and the ingredients do not bother you, Diamond Hi Energy- downside you have to buy a 50lb bag and if he won't eat it, that is a lot of food unless you check with the store about returns. But years ago when I was fostering for one Greyhound group, they fed all the hounds that food coming off the track and while I snubbed it at first, the dogs did really well on it and one month when I had a super tight budget all my dogs ate it and none had an issue surprisingly. I had more of an issue as I couldn't get past the ingredient panel.

I know someone else who uses the Pro Plan to get weight on dogs when needed...and another person who mixes in some puppy food to get weight on dogs. Good luck!

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

He's had $50 worth of Dontrol Plus.

I honestly think that it is the fact that he is just not an eater and very shy. Yesterday he wouldn't eat all day until dark. I got Barkley in, shut the dog door and left his food on the porch. I checked 30 minutes later and it was gone. It was kibble topped with small bits of leftover steak and chicken and some canned. It was a small victory.

While I feed twice a day there is always a small bowl of kibble next to the water bowl for a snack, He's never touched it.

Edited by Hubcitypam

While I feed twice a day there is always a small bowl of kibble next to the water bowl for a snack, He's never touched it.

No, Jeffie has never touched dry kibble, either. It can be a real battle to get him to eat enough. He'll accept small bits of cooked meat most of the time, but often if I put them on or in his kibble he'll pick off what he can and leave the rest. The puppy kibble really is helping if only because he needs to eat less of it to get the same amount of calories.

His fosterer told us that she would have to hide behind the door if she wanted to watch him eat because if he knew he was being watched, he would simply walk away and not eat at all. He's come a long way since then and now often won't eat UNLESS someone stands with him and watches over him. I have no idea what goes through his head. I think maybe he is afraid the Dog Wraiths will get him.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Our dogs all go nuts over Purina One--so maybe the puppy version to get him gaining. (The regular adult P-One generally causes weight loss in some dogs unless you feed a lot so the puppy version for awhile would make better sense)

Guest IrskasMom

This Thread is a bit old but just what I was looking for . My Morty was at the Vet last Thursday and he has lost some more Weight. He is down to 60 lbs. He can't afford to lose more Weight. So I read all the Post's and I will break out my Crockpot and go to the Store for any kind of Chicken Parts . Rice and Vegetables as By Product . My Morty is a very poor Eater and not at all Food Motivated. He is on Purina Pro Plan ( Adult ) and Natures Choice Grain Free Salmon, Sweet Potato , Pumpkin mixed in . Maybe I should go to Puppy Stage Dog Food .

I to want to know , do you feed your Dog twice a Day or just once a Day ? Morty is active but I would say not very active.

We are in luck My neighbor who talked me into take him on a "not really sure what he is" basis bought 1/2 a steer and has a couple of hundred pounds of ground beef. Will try satin balls and advise. He is what you'd call a hard keeper.

He's been eating twice a day with Beneful things in the tub or Mighty Dog.