Addy Is Limping

Guest elizabeth7418

Guest elizabeth7418

This is definitely not a post that I want to make. Last night, Addy, my almost-9-year-old brood mom, walked into my craft room limping. She wasn't putting any weight at all on her right front foot. Now, she's a bit of a drama queen, and anytime she bumps her foot while playing, she'll hold it up for me to basically "kiss it and make it all better." So, I did that with her leg, feeling it from toes to shoulder and didn't feel anything unusual. She didn't seem to be in any discomfort and was fine for the rest of the night. She did pant a bit more than normal, but she's thunderphobic and we had a pretty bad line of storms roll in last night/this morning, so I just attributed her panting to that. Then, this morning, my husband gave her his last bite of peanut butter toast from his breakfast, which is part of her normal routine. I didn't see what happened, but she must have dropped the toast on the floor and when she brought her head back up from picking it up, she knocked herself on the coffee table. She yelped and at the same time, her right front leg came out from under her and she limped again. Just like last night, I felt up her leg and she seemed fine.

I made an appointment with my vet to get x-rays taken, and the soonest that they can get me in is Friday afternoon. I informed my dog walked of what was going on, and she said that Addy trotted along, even jogged, on their walk today with no issues. With both limping episodes, after I've felt up and down her right leg, she's put weight on it fine. So, I guess my question is, how concerned should I be? My mom has lost 9 sighthounds over the years, many due to cancer found only after they've broken legs, so my mind of course goes to worst case scenario with a limping dog. Any thoughts/advice/good vibes that you can send my way will be greytly appreciated. Thanks!

- Liz

And here's a picture of my adorable, albeit not very ladylike, bub in her normal roaching state. :)

10576371_10100204641404505_57319207_n.jp

Guest greytkidsmom

First of all, your girl is adorable.

Second of all, we all worry about limps. We have either "been there, done that" or know someone who has.

You have already made the appointment to find out for sure so in the meantime just be awesome grey mom you are and love her.

Nothing wrong with being careful until you know.

I can say that on my visit with Lucas I had a vet that was new to us because she was the only one available on short notice.

The most common sites of osteo in the front leg are shoulder and wrist and he wouldn't let them get shoulder films without sedation.

She did wrist films which were fine and tried to talk me out of further films because she would have to sedate him.

I told her that I wanted to know for sure or to have complete peace of mind and gave permission for sedation.

The shoulder films confirmed a lesion in his shoulder so I am thankful I was persistent.

She was a bit shocked but I knew Lucas just as well as I know you know Addy.

I hope the films Friday are able to give you peace of mind.

Yes. Make sure they get rads of the whole leg, from toes to scapula.

In the meantime, if you have an nsaid at home, you could see if it helps. It *can* be a soft tissue injury, most often in the neck, to cause front end limping.

ETA - And check for corns on the pads of both front feet.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

She's a beauty! I'm sending all manners of good vibes your way. :goodluck:hope Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hoping it's (only!) arthritis or a pulled muscle.

We just went through a scare like this with our 9-year old Alex a few weeks ago. Yep, right front leg, too. Our vet grimly looked him over, prescribed one week of a NSAID, and instructed us to bring him back for x-rays if he was still limping in one week.

Happily, Alex quit limping and we didn't have to return to the vet.

I SO hope your experience will be the same! Please give your pretty girlie hugs and skritches for me, okay?

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest elizabeth7418

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support! Thankfully, she did not limp at all after I got home from work yesterday or this morning on our walk. Fingers crossed! I'll update you all after our x-rays on Friday!

Good thoughts for Addy and you. I hope it's only a soft tissue injury and nothing more.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Checking for what I hope is a good update. :goodluck

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest elizabeth7418

We have greyt news! My vet did a full exam, and she couldn't find anything wrong. Addy does appear to have a bruise on the large pad of her right front foot, so that may have been what caused her pain. We did x-rays anyways, just to ease my mind, and they came back completely clear! So, while I don't really have any real answers, I do know that it's not cancer. Phew! Now I can sit back and enjoy a bottle of wine tonight (cracking open a bottle of sweet red from Pompous Ass Winery from Grapehounds this summer). Thank you all so, so very much for your support. This community truly is amazing. :)

Excellent news!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

That's the kind of update we like to see! :clap