Carabiner On Leash

Guest homebase004

Guest homebase004

Question, for those who use a carabiner on their leash, what carabiner do you use? It's hard to tell a good fit online, I want a load rated carabiner as the dime store ones break. I am looking for something small'ish and strong, may be 3 inches, plus/minus.

Our boy gets excited and pulls and I know if the hardware fails he's gonna take off.

Thanks to all!!

Easy to find the good ones that won't break...they cost $20+

I bought mine at a mountain climbing equipment store. It survives Iker.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Our boy gets excited and pulls and I know if the hardware fails he's gonna take off.

Teach a solid recall and this will be a much lesser worry. It will save your dog's life in situations where carabiners can't.

As far as the carabiner goes, I'd go to an outdoors store that has a rock climbing section and get one there. Should be tons of options!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I have some load-rated ones but the smallest of those are still pretty large (other than paragliding 'biners, which are $$$$). For backing up a regular leash clip I just use the $3 aluminum ones -- light enough not to be a bother, cheap to replace if I lose one, serve the purpose. They're backup, remember, not the primary clasp :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes...'scissors' snaps are super sturdy....and will not come accidentally undone. You have to really squeeze hard to get them to open up.

It's all I have ever used on multiple large breed dog leashes for 30++ years....I would trust one over a carabiner clip.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I love the scissor clips and one by one have replaced everything else off my leashes. I get them at my local farm supply store; Rural King very cheap.

i personally like the scissor clips but i do remember selling a brace lead and the person did not close it well- the dog got out. generally i have noticed human error more often than product error. with any clip/clasp just take the time to make sure it's fully closed. also be careful and make sure the O ring that tags are on does not get caught in the clasp. the old fashioned S rings are a PITA but in general safer, clip or dog nail won't get stuck in the S.

Home Depot or REI is where I get mine. Even for the good clips like the lobster claw, or the scissor clip, etc., a carabiner is an easy back up plan. It can't hurt, can only help. The same goes for teaching recall, which is never 100% anyway. Why not add one more layer of protection? It's so easy.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

i use the locking s-biners. the small ones are neat for tags, or linking the collar to a harness for extra safety.

they come in 3 sizes 3, 10, and 75 lb. ratings. little plastic slider on the wire loop slides up & down to lock/unlock it from accidental opening.

11347.jpg

more conventional version too.

wit-csl4-01-r6_1.jpg

i use more conventional locking quick release hook made for horse lunge leads on the busness end of the leash.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.