Ugly Greyhound

Guest CleverJason

Guest CleverJason

“Greyhounds are ugly,” I muttered under my breath one afternoon after an online select-a-breed quiz told me it was a 98-percent match to my lifestyle. Who would want one of those? As it turned out, I would.

You see, at the time there were only two things that formed my entire opinion of the breed: big steel Twinkies on wheels and racing. It wasn’t until I entered that fateful kennel that I realized I had never actually seen a live greyhound. There were two things that struck me like a thunder bolt the first time I saw one. First, they’re big — much bigger than I expected. Second, they’re not ugly.

In fact, there was something very calming about being around a greyhound. They’re quiet and gentle, and while they gaze up at you with their ancient, soulful eyes, it feels like they’re looking straight down to your soul. The traits that I thought were ugly — height, slim frame, pointy nose — only add to their charm. I was hooked.

And I still am, after four months of living with my 4-year-old light fawn buddy, Baron. After adopting a greyhound, it's amazing how quickly it becomes impossible to imagine your life without one. An ugly greyhound? That's just dogma :)

Hi. I'm Jason, and I'm new here. But I plan on sticking around.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, and you're right. There's no such thing as an ugly greyhound :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I once had a lady tell me, "Greyhounds seem like great dogs, but I could never have one. Their faces look evil." :lol

Evil? Lol. That is not what I would have thought of. It's probably how narrow their faces are. My mom thinks that animals with narrow faces look mean (but not evil, lol).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Divedet

I once had a lady tell me, "Greyhounds seem like great dogs, but I could never have one. Their faces look evil." :lol

Evil? Lol. That is not what I would have thought of. It's probably how narrow their faces are. My mom thinks that animals with narrow faces look mean (but not evil, lol).

I do think there's something to that, maybe on some subconscious level. Wolves and coyotes have long, narrow faces, maybe something we're conditioned to be apprehensive about from not so long ago?

I'm not talking about the pretty, fluffy timberwolves that are on calendars and animal rights posters. I mean real, mangy, malnourished wolves that you see in the woods.

Not advocating this opinion, just offering a possible explanation.

Welcome! I had to see what all this blasphemy about ugly greyhounds was about! :lol

I've always thought greyhounds were drop-dead gorgeous myself, but I can see where others might be turned off by their size, or their skinniness, or their long pointy noses...

We'd love to see pictures of your Baron! It's a rule around here, you know. :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Hi Jason I am Sharon and I am a recovering greyhound alcoholic.

:lol We know what you mean :kiss2

Welcome!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hi, Jason. I'm Linda and I'm a former dog snob, too. Welcome to the cult club! :welcome You do know the rules - :rules that photos are mandatory, right? :digicam

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest CleverJason

Hi, Jason. I'm Linda and I'm a former dog snob, too. Welcome to the cult club! :welcome You do know the rules - :rules that photos are mandatory, right? :digicam

You're only an addict if it's bad for you :) And Linda...as soon as I figure out how to post pictures I'll be sure to follow that rule.

upload the pics of baron into photobucket. then choose the "IMG" link to the right of the pic, and copy and paste that into your email. voila!!

Is this what recovering greyhound alcoholics drink? I have a couple of bottles of this at home. :)

ScarletRunLabel_zpsae30669b.jpg

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Welcome, Jason. Soon you will find yourself thinking that all other dogs look fat. If you haven't already...

Gooble gobble, gooble gobble...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Once I was walking our first two greyhounds, Brandy and John E (a huge blue boy), and a man stopped his Hummer and told me that he likes greyhounds, but, his wife thinks they are ugly. I really wanted to ask him what his wife looked like.

I have never seen an ugly greyhound. Each one is more beautiful and regal than the next.

Welcome to Greytalk from Delaware.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest CaityRose

aww what a great little story. My hubby still thinks they're 'ugly'. In my opinion they are the models of the dog world. Their cute little faces and needle nose is the whole appeal.

Sharon, why would you want to recover? ;)

I've been owned by my first grey, Bella, for 5 years this month. GT has been amazing - welcome to you and Baron!

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Baron is sooo handsome!!! :heart

What a great way to ensure everybody will read your post! Ugly indeed. LOL

Baron is one handsome guy.

Too often, Greyhound faces look sad to me and I immediately go into "what's wrong" mode. I gotta get over that.

Ugly: No, they're not ugly as a whole dog, but if you described them to an alien, body part by body part, they sure would sound odd. Think about it, starting with the long nose and very often an overbite. :bgeorge

Well, what a "clever" fellow you are, Jason, for letting the most handsome Baron into your life.

Welcome from another buckeye. Another good rule of thumb is "2 are as easy as 1" :D

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

upload the pics of baron into photobucket. then choose the "IMG" link to the right of the pic, and copy and paste that into your email. voila!!

Is this what recovering greyhound alcoholics drink? I have a couple of bottles of this at home. :)

ScarletRunLabel_zpsae30669b.jpg

I'll drink to that!

Welcome to GT, Jason & Baron! I adopted my first greyhound in 1993. My best friend, who had a lab and a shepherd mix at the time, had never seen a greyhound and came over to meet him. She thought he was the ugliest dog she'd ever seen. Fast forward a couple of years, and he grew on her so much that she adopted her first one. Suddenly they were the most beautiful dogs in the world. :lol She's had greyhounds ever since and now thinks all other dogs pale in comparison and says she would never have another breed.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest IrskasMom

Jason , I thought so to , when my Son came home with a Greyhound . Not even a Day passed and I was hooked . Congrats on your best Buddy Baron . He is very handsome :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart :beatheart :beatheart

Hello! I'm Shannon. I share my home with Greyhounds, Ibizan Hounds, and a Galgo.

I rarely hear that my hounds are ugly but it happens sometimes. I remember one time, recently, when I had an Ibizan and a Greyhound out with me and I was told that the Ibizan was the most beautiful dog this person had ever seen (I get that all the time with my boys) but that my Greyhound shouldn't feel bad because it was so homely. O.o That was one of the rudest compliments I had ever been paid. :lol: