Truman... Super Frustrating, Embarrassing Behavior

You know your dog and what you are willing to do. I don't doubt your sincerity in making this choice.

I have assisted a friend who has been a vendor at these events for (OMG) at least a decade. It is possible to create a barrier. I hope for future vending you can work something out with your SO to leave the pups behind. I haven't attended an event with a dog in two full years. It's actually great. I don't have to manage introductions or poop or any of that jazz. And usually since I am without dogs we aren't using my car, which means I'm never DD! :D

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Nope, performance anxiety. :lol

This might be tmi, but in my case, that has the opposite effect.

Moving on..... Dark sheets or blankets would, of course, be the simplest solution. Even drop sheets used for painting? Over chairs, your table......

Truman doesn't crate well (yet another one of his endearing qualities) :lol but I think he'll be fine in the ex-pen set back behind my booth. There are too many dogs to go ballistic over every single one. At events, his main problem is on-leash introductions. As long as I can keep a good buffer between him and the other dogs, I think it will be okay.

Denise showed me this brilliant idea for a leash sleeve, and I found one on Etsy. I think this will help us immensely.

il_570xN.504008234_6nz1.jpg

Alicia, for what it's worth when I saw you and the dogs at Gig I thought Truman was fine.

At the run when he was done and you were trying to get control of him I just saw a dog that wasn't done playing and was just "playing" you. It made me giggle because you could see that Truman was just having fun.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Yeah! We briefly met in the hotel, now that I think about it! Truman was acting silly, like he wanted to visit you, then kept backing away. Thanks for saying that.

About the Blur of Fur joy-run... I don't really fault him for that one. We were trying to get Henry's leash from his turn, and one of the finish line wranglers grabbed Truman. The guy tried to restrain him in a hug of sorts, and Trumie decided he didn't like that. He snapped at the guy, who immediately let go, and that's when he realized he was free and started running around like a crazy man. After his romp, I was able to recall him back (which would've been pretty good, if not for the part where he almost knocked me over). :lol

Truman doesn't crate well (yet another one of his endearing qualities) :lol but I think he'll be fine in the ex-pen set back behind my booth. There are too many dogs to go ballistic over every single one. At events, his main problem is on-leash introductions. As long as I can keep a good buffer between him and the other dogs, I think it will be okay.

Denise showed me this brilliant idea for a leash sleeve, and I found one on Etsy. I think this will help us immensely.

il_570xN.504008234_6nz1.jpg

I posted in the other thread - I think these are great, but you also know about the red bandana at greyhound events, right? Not sure how universally understood those are outside of GT, but it wouldn't hurt to have him wear one.

As for the fun run, I don't blame him for snapping at the guy. I would too if some random guy tried to restrain me in a hug. :P

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Unless he was CUTE! ;)

Good point. :lol

Guest FinnsMama

I researched online and asked my vet if they ever prescribe anxiety meds. These vets knew me and my dogs over the years and knew i wouldn't ask unless it was necessary. He did well on the first one they tried. I guess we got lucky.

He takes Elavil, 50 mg every 12 hours. (twice a day.)

Trumie Dooms did fine at Grapehounds! Jen said he was nowhere near as bad as I described, so I suppose I'm nitpicky. It definitely made a difference that he was off-leash (in the ex-pen) and not doing a million face-to-face greetings with strange dogs. The leash sleeve also worked very well. Here he is relaxing with his bro.

23idx0l.jpg

That's great! They both look very comfortable :)

GT_signature4_zpsfaaf7821.jpg

Padfoot the greyhound fr. Coach Venom, Joined his forever family: 10-1-13

Lupin the galgo, Joined his forever family: 7-18-14
And the reptiles: Bernie the Bearded Dragon and Tonks the Russian Tortoise

I meant to come and post after Jan posted her pic of him in her Grapehounds thread! He's such a cutie! :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Glad to hear he was able to relax.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

From what I saw, Truman did really well at Grapehounds. Well, except when daddy took Henry for a short walk. ;)

Having Truman in the x-pen, behind your booth, with enough distance between other hounds seems to be the way to go.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Obviously you know everything about him and his past, so this just who he is. Not a behavior resulting from a trauma, abuse, etc.

I'd say a perfect case for medication.

Have you chatted with the breeder? She needs to know and avoid breeding the same pair again.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yeah... I did speak to her a year or so ago when she tried to give me another pup from his litter (can you imagine?!) She said the one female she kept was really shy. Unfortunately, I think they're breeding for the physical breed standards, not temperament. Truman is a very handsome dog- he just has a million hang ups.

I have found that very often those with blue coats, blue brindle, blue fawn, etc. are neurotic/have very odd behaviors. At least a dozen or so dogs I've met that are either blue, blue fawn, or blue brindle have been.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I have found that very often those with blue coats, blue brindle, blue fawn, etc. are neurotic/have very odd behaviors. At least a dozen or so dogs I've met that are either blue, blue fawn, or blue brindle have been.

Agree 100%. Never met a blue who wasn't a little bit crazy.

Yeah... I did speak to her a year or so ago when she tried to give me another pup from his litter (can you imagine?!) She said the one female she kept was really shy. Unfortunately, I think they're breeding for the physical breed standards, not temperament. Truman is a very handsome dog- he just has a million hang ups.

Temperament should be just as important as conformation (if not more so). A good, reputable breeder should focus on function, temperament, and conformation. Are there others in his litter like him? Sometimes anomalies happen and other times the lines need to be examined closely. Unfortunately the Greyhound breed standard is lacking a temperament description and thus varying temperaments could be argued to be correct when, in fact, they may not be right. Our Ibizan Hound standard includes the correct temperament for the breed and is something that reputable breeders focus on. Anomalies still happen and sharpness and other issues pop up sometimes though. That is when hard decisions have to be made and sometimes plans change.

Unfortunately I have far too much experience with screwy temperaments, as at some point in my life I decided to be insane and take on project dogs. I've had sharpness, true aggression, various types of reactivity...you name it. As a friend and I discussed recently it really can be frustrating to manage a dog rather than just live with it, no matter how much you love it. I have actually had quite a few sharp, or otherwise undesirable in temperament, NGA hounds so it isn't just an AKC thing either. ;) In my opinion sharp dogs, dogs with temperament issues, and spooks should never be bred, no matter how much they win in a ring or on an professional track. ;) But what do I know? :lol

Edited by GreytHoundPoet