Now Hurt Leg

Guest kar

You may be able to buy Methocarbamol in a drug store. The brand name is Robaxin (NOT Robaxacet, Robaxisal, or Robax, all of which have pain killers too). I've used it in dogs with gut trouble and it didn't bother them at all. No other serious side effects either.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't at all want to add to your stress but I have to agree that your vet sounds very anti-everything but what she wants. And very pro-euthanasia.

You know your dog best. You know he is not himself. We have all been there. But a great majority of the time, not being themselves is definitely fixable. I would totally believe JJNG (and I always do) when she says to give pred or methocarbomal a shot.

It seems you like and trust your vet but you have to remember, she works for you. She is not the voice of God.

I am also doing everything alone and sometimes it gets absolutely overwhelming. I understand. Many of us are in the same place and we understand. You need your job, you are tapped out financially, and you don't have a moment for yourself. That is when you need to remember to breather. Calm and center yourself and things will begin to look and feel a lot better.

We all realize that euthanasia happens. We all believe it is better to be a bit early than late but in all honesty, nothing about Scotch sounds like you have reached that point yet.

Reach out to your group by phone, you don't have to go there, just talk to them. They really may be able to help you. I support my group by donating the cost of one adoption per year, your group may well have a donor who has earmarked their donations for healthcare.

my vet called and spoke to a neurologist and spoke to her regarding my dog. she has agreed to give him Methocarbomol.

it is a rare drug here i will pick up today

Karen-I am with CT Greyhound Adoption. I just sent you an email. Someone forwarded me the link to this thread. If you don't get the email, you can call the CGA phone at 860-836-5049 after 5pm. I left it home today.

We'd like to help if we can

Dawn

Bella(Bella Zinfandel), Jasper(GLS Run On In)

Bridge Babies: Maggie (So To Speak), Ashlyn (Highwind Tornado), Mick (Rapid Recoil), Tiger(Charge It Up)
CT Greyhound Adoption/GPA

I do not have high hopes. it is hard to watch a dog afraid to lay down.

Please don't let Scotch see you so negative. He has your love, but he also needs your support and encouragement. That's wonderful that you can give the methocarb a try. You have to give it a chance to work. Hang in there.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for everything you're going through ... and please know that we're all here to support you and Scotch!

I'm hoping that the new meds will begin working soon!!

Thank you for keeping us informed, and I hope you get some relief yourself soon.

Karen-I am with CT Greyhound Adoption. I just sent you an email. Someone forwarded me the link to this thread. If you don't get the email, you can call the CGA phone at 860-836-5049 after 5pm. I left it home today.

We'd like to help if we can

Dawn

So glad someone is trying to reach out to you. Please let them help. My vet calls what Scotch has "painful greyhound syndrome" which just means they are having spasms in their back. Dylan didn't lay down for almost 12 straight hrs. Took him to evet and they started the Methocarb by IV and the next day he came out from the back completely normal.

Angel Carrie could not keep herself standing after she hurt her back. I'd stand her up and if I let go of her, she would fall.

Robaxin 100mg every 8 hours along with tramadol 100mg every 8 hours and gabapentin 100mg every 8 hours (every 12 hours is too long between doses and won't help) plus 20 mg prednisone (with Pepcod given 30 minutes prior) plus an acupuncture treatment and 12 hours later not only was she able to keep herself standing if I stood her up, she was able to get up out of her bed herself and sass me. :)

I live alone, it's just me here. Yes, it is stressful, but you can do this.

If you've ever hurt your back you know it doesn't get better overnight. Sometimes it takes time. He's not able to tell you, "well it still hurts but it's a little bit better than yesterday." Give him some time and take a few deep breaths for yourself.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

When there is improvement, it might take Scotch a little time to believe it himself. I had a boy with back problems. When it was really painful, he'd yelp when he tried to stand up or lie down. After a while, he'd yelp when he even started to stand up--sort of I know it's gonna hurt-I know it's gonna hurt-I know it's gonna hurt...

Gabapentin often takes about 48 hours to get up to speed, and in dogs it will wear off in less than 12 hours. It's a generic that's available inexpensively in people pharmacies, but you do need a written prescription. Greyhounds can safely take 900mg a day; 100mg capsules are a good choice since they make it possible for you to give less than 300mg if that's enough to work.

Tramadol you know. It's also available at people pharmacies.

Methocarbamol is the generic for Robaxin, a muscle relaxer taken by people. It, too, should be readily available from a people pharmacy. My vet prescribed a loading dose of two pills, three times a day, for two days, followed by half that much as a regular dosage.

I emphasize the people-pharmacy part because that saves money and can save time. Also, people pharmacies keep longer hours than most vet's offices, and if you use a pharmacy that's part of a chain, you often can locate a 24-hour pharmacy to get refills on short notice (like when a hound knocks the bottle out of your hand and the pills spill into the wet sink). My nearest pharmacy is a Walgreen's with a drive-thru window and a Prescription Savings Plan; less than a mile away, and they're open 7 days a week. My vet's office is 25 minutes each way--8 miles of Atlanta traffic--and is closed most of Saturday and all of Sunday.

Give Scotch a cuddle from all of us...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest LazyBlaze

:( Poor Scotch. I hope the meds can start to kick in and help him very soon, for both your sakes. Hugs to you and rubs for Scotch's ears. Hang in there.

Some time back one of my hounds (weighs 62 lbs) had very bad shoulder pain and she was prescribed the following 3x per day:

- 100 mg tramadol

- 300 mg gabapentin

I am not a vet, but based on the above experience, it seems to me that if you are giving him less, you could move to this regimen as quickly as you can phase it in to see if it gives him relief.

If you are currently doing this or close to it, and he is still in severe pain, I would strongly suggest that you find a neighbour or anyone on this board who is close by, to help get Scotch into the car (muzzle him when you move him) and get him to your vet, or the e-vet if your clinic is not open on weekends. The vet can assess the current situation, and together you can decide what is best for Scotch.

I am sure everyone would agree that Scotch should not continue to suffer ongoing, severe pain

I'm so sorry

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross