Now Hurt Leg

Guest kar

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had scotch for about seven years. we have been through numerous xrays and one surgery. he came to me with a broken hock from the track. then his pins became loose and he needed to have another surgery. other than that he has been ok just the occasional limps and the broken leg was never quite right. that is why I think the gi bleed was something major - cant quite understand what he did this time to be hurting so badly - he has been limping half the time that I had him because of his bad leg and has never been like this

hard to say initially I would say the other leg - it is not really a limp he is not putting full pressure on the leg but seems as if he cannot turn - if he gets up it is very hard for me to get him to lay down again - he wants to stand - which I don't think is good for him and he cannot stand all night. I will probably sleep on the couch tonight - as I doubt he will go into my bedroom with me.

I gave him his blanket he usually sleeps on in his bed in my room he did lay down - I don't think I can get him to the vet in the car in the condition he is in - he never gets in the car I have to lift his front legs put them in the car and then lift his back end in - he never would jump in the car by himself - I think he would be in too much pain for me to do that.

If he is resting and does not look distressed, maybe this can wait for the morning. You can also call the AC in the town and see if they would help put him in the car. Some AC's will do that, others won't. Sometimes they have a stretcher they can use. Do you have a muzzle just in case it is difficult to get him into the car?

thank you if he is in too much pain for me to get him to the vet maybe she will give me something to give him so I can at least get him there

Kar- I am very sorry that you are going through all this. How awful to have to deal with constant stress of having a dog with so many health issues, (I have been there myself and it can be overwhelming at times). Is your vet able to do house calls? I know my vet does them or perhaps your vet can recommend a different hospital that has a vet who does house calls. If you are in a bind and can not get him into the car yourself, would your adoption group have a volunteer who can help you out? I have gotten hurt dogs into cars (took three people), by making a stretcher out of a thick blanket. I stayed in the back seat with my dog and the other person drove. I hope your adoption group can help you at this time of need. And maybe your boy just had an accident (greyhounds are so prone to getting hurt) and it's nothing serious. :(

Edited by forevergrey

Also checking in on you and Scotch. I hope he is doing a bit better than last night. I know these pups can easily hurt their legs but often it's nothing serious but still makes our hearts leap and with all the issues you have been dealing with, I know it's very stressful. Wish I was closer as I would come down and help you load him up or take him to you vet.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

How is Scotch this morning? I am in CT and may be able to help you get him in the car for a vet visit.

eta, I am so sorry to hear about your mom and the overwhelming losses you have experienced.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

was able to take scotch to vet - vet believes he has hurt his back - he had a miserable night and morning - also foot reflex - when foot is bent back opposite way he does not put it back the right way (nerve involvement).

vet gave me tramadol and gabepentin to give him

i went to work to save time for the next time

i really do feel i will not have him long -

vet said that if this does not work - or if he worsens it does not look good

Gabapentin works well. A muscle relaxer, like robaxin, would be a nice accompaniment. When they hurt, they tend to tense up and can cause muscle spasm and pain. Hope your boy feels better soon! I also found that giving gabapentin every 8 hours or so worked the best. They metabolize that drug faster than other breeds.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

was able to take scotch to vet - vet believes he has hurt his back - he had a miserable night and morning - also foot reflex - when foot is bent back opposite way he does not put it back the right way (nerve involvement).

vet gave me tramadol and gabepentin to give him

i went to work to save time for the next time

i really do feel i will not have him long -

vet said that if this does not work - or if he worsens it does not look good

I'm glad that you were able to get him into the vet this AM to be examined. It's hard to tell with leg/back issues - the pain killers might help until it can heal or maybe it will end up flaring up again. In this case, I'm going to be positive and think that if you keep him off his feet and relaxing that maybe he'll be better in a few days. The tramadol might make him feel too good and he could re-injure himself, so important that he is kept on a leash for awhile.

I hope that you were able to get some rest last night. Let us know how he is tonight ....

I know how hard it is to stay positive. Did you adopt him locally? Have you spoken to your group? If so, is there someone who could take him into a home for a weekend so that you could get a bit of a caregiver break? It sounds like you need a few days to yourself to regroup. Our own bodies and psyches can only take so much before we break.

i dont think it was a good sign that when he bent his back foot so that he was standing on his toes he did not know to fix his foot. he just stayed like that. no unfortunatley our adoption groups in ct are not the same as other states i believe.

Have you thought about chiropractic or acupuncture treatments? I swear by them.

In 1990 I bought the once in a lifetime showhorse (Secretariat's nephew). Less than a month after I bought him, he did yahoos outside in the pasture and really tweaked his back. He was unrideable. For three months I had vets working on him. I even accidentally blistered his back with one of the treatments. That poor horse was in so much pain. But worse, I just spent thousands on him and I couldn't even sell him to get my money back.

someone at the barn suggested a chiropractor, and I laughed. But she pointed to her horse who had a crosstie accident breaking her back. And she was back to 100%. So I called. The vet/chiro came out and performed a couple of adjustments for the first week or so, then we went to monthly adjustments. He hadn't been rideable in 3 months but he was back to jumping within 1 month after treatments. I did keep up regular adjustments for as long as I rode him, but I switched to every other month. That's not necessary but it helps keep their backs in alignment.

If by "bent his back foot" you mean knuckling, from what I have read on here, that is not a life threatening issue. It may be something that your vet is unfamiliar with. I am sure that someone on here who has familiarity with it will weigh in with more info.

I feel for you. You definitely sound like you need some relaxing "me" time, as we all do.

I can't tell if your vet practice is a local one, or is a practice with a wider knowledge base. I don't know where you are in CT, is the city too far a drive? Animal Medical Center is a major teaching hospital and I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to help.

city is too far for a dog in severe pain almost two hours. I mean when he bent his foot back so he is standing on his toes he did not correct it. he is still in severe pain. I will give the pills until the weekend to work. I will not watch him in severe pain like I did with my dog who had spinal nerve cancer. he is not the fun loving, goofy dog I know. he is a dog who is really suffering. it is hard for him to make the four stairs I have to go out to the bathroom

in fact he is acting just like my dog who had spinal nerve cancer.