Now Hurt Leg

Guest kar

Scotch my dog that was just vomiting blood now hurt his leg - I let him off leash first time since snow and he was running back to me yelped sat down - I had a hard time getting him inside. He is putting a little weight on the leg now but still walking around with tail between legs - cant give him anything for pain because of the bleeding. I really don't believe this is happening. I do not see anything that looks like a broken leg - but what in the world could he have done in 2 minutes. After this I swear I will never ever get another dog again. It just seems so surreal that so many things could be happening. If he had a broken leg I would assume he would not be putting weight on it - am I correct. I feel so bad for him - he is just not a a very healthy dog.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not broken if he can bear some weight.....he has most likely strained something.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

have you checked his foot thoroughly? it's so icy/snowy out there he might have cut it (as Larry did a couple months ago, sliced the webbing).

our Rainey had a lot of issues and accidents too (we swore we'd start wrapping her in bubble wrap) so I feel for you. I hope things turn around! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

no snow that's why let him off leash - he is afraid to walk in the snow. wish I had never done that. If this was not happening to me I swear I would think someone was making it up.

Put a muzzle on and check in/around the toes. Maybe it will be something simple like an acorn or gum tree seed pod. Both of those made my drama queen Gracie think she'd broken something.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

no it is definitely back leg - had him out and had trouble getting up stairs will not lay down - already checked feet - nothing wrong - I am at my wits end with him -

I am seriously thinking of going to evet and putting him down - he is not a happy dog. I know I may seem to be overreacting but it is just one thing after another with him and he is not a very happy dog.

I am seriously thinking of going to evet and putting him down - he is not a happy dog. I know I may seem to be overreacting but it is just one thing after another with him and he is not a very happy dog.

I think maybe you need to contact the adoption group .. like right now. It sounds like dog ownership is not what you expected it to be and that's OK - sometimes it just doesn't work out ....

:eek

Your Group will help you!

I certainly hope that your local EVet will not euthanize him just because he has hurt his leg and is limping....

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

that is not true I have been through a lot with all of my greys - and had to watch two of them suffer considerably - I have done everything I can for them - I just cant stand to see him not happy - I have lost one to heart trouble at one year, one at five to spinal nerve cancer - and now scotch had a serious gi bleed and hurt his leg- my other has kidney disease due to pln. on top of that I have just lost my mom. I think I am just overwhelmed that everyone and everything I care about is getting seriously ill. it is not really fair of you to make that judgement. and I have owned dogs and cared for them my entire life.

If he was running in the yard he was happy enough and FAR from a dog who should be pts. You sound understandably overwhelmed but to kill your dog... return him to the group if you don't want to deal with him. It feels like you're projecting your own grief and exhaustion on him.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

No one is judging you .. it's obvious that you have been through some tough times recently and situations that normally would have been handled by you with ease appear to be causing you distress. We have all been there. We are just offering suggestions so that you can get past this.

Whoa-not sure I see anyone judging you--we are all concerned about your dogs health--that's why we are here. I understand you being overwhelmed right now--believe me when I say I was just there myself but, there are steps you can take. One step at a time. Do you have any Tramadol in the house? Tramadol is a safe painkiller to give a dog with an owie tummy.

he has still not recovered from the gi bleed he was not running but just running to me to come in the house - it is not that I do not want to deal with him I have spent thousands on his gi bleed and do not like to see him suffering - my vet is even stumped as is the evet - if I could get some kind of answer instead of wait and see - I would feel a lot better I do understand that nothing lives forever but to watch a dog you love with all of your heart suffer takes of piece of it every day

that is not true I have been through a lot with all of my greys - and had to watch two of them suffer considerably - I have done everything I can for them - I just cant stand to see him not happy - I have lost one to heart trouble at one year, one at five to spinal nerve cancer - and now scotch had a serious gi bleed and hurt his leg- my other has kidney disease due to pln. on top of that I have just lost my mom. I think I am just overwhelmed that everyone and everything I care about is getting seriously ill. it is not really fair of you to make that judgement. and I have owned dogs and cared for them my entire life.

You sound overwhelmed which is understandable. What else is understandable is everyone's reaction to your comment to put him down. You sound very defensive when people are suggesting you need help from your adoption group. I'm assuming you posted so you could get advice.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

the tramadol I have is too old it was from his leg surgery two years ago and I am afraid to give him anything as he had a serious gi bleed just under two weeks ago. he is still not right from that.

the tramadol I have is too old it was from his leg surgery two years ago and I am afraid to give him anything as he had a serious gi bleed just under two weeks ago. he is still not right from that.

Tramadol is easy on the tummies--it's a synthetic optiate--it's not a NSAID like rimadyl, metacam, previcox........ Not sure I would worry about the expiration date myself.

I wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear of your Moms passing--been there myself too :-(

he is not limping seems as if he cannot turn - had serious trouble with stairs even though I only have four - did not even want to lay down. finally got him to lay down - hoping he will feel better if he rests the leg and stays off of it. afraid to give him anything for pain because he just vomited again yesterday - no blood but vomited - vet told me to call her to let her know every time that he vomits so she can keep a log. it is hard because the little things I am used to him doing - he no longer does - such as not wanting me to put my shoes on to go to work. unfortunately I am single so do not have any help as far as taking him to the vet if it is hard to get him in the car - I am hoping that his leg will feel better tomorrow but have never had him yelp like that in pain - can't understand how 1 minute of slight running could have caused this he was not even 1/4 of full speed.

I could kick myself for not leash walking him but thought he would enjoy walking by himself since the snow finally melted.

How old is Scotch?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

If his leg is shaking, he could have tweaked his back. Where are you located? Is there anyone around - group or other greyhound owners who could give you some respite care?

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow