Giving Up A Dog?

Guest queenme2

Guest queenme2

I have a question on what I should do if I need to give up my dog ? I've had Nina for 5 years and since the baby she just isnt happy. 5 wks After I had the baby I went back to walking her 45 min and taking her out more often. But her behavior has been all over the place. She poops no matter how many times take her out before we leave to run errands. Its to the point that we walk her ever hr before we go and she still does this. My 12 yr old was at home while we had to go down the street to load some large items in the car and she pissed and pooed and then took off out of the house and my son was running after her and they could have gotten hit by cars... And then she has bitten my son twice and bruised his side, it could have broken his skin if he hadnt been wearing his thick robe... All my son did was get up to go to the kitchen and she lunged at him. I got up yelled no and made her sit in the corner. Im very concerned what she'll do to the baby once she starts crawling this summer. Nina is 10 and maybe we dont work for her anymore...I just cant have her biting... What should do ? because i think i'll have to give her up

Edited by queenme2

Guest queenme2

its so sad for me, but yeah i dont want her unhappy or developing more problems. i want her happy with the few yrs she has left. i just thought they would be with us

No words . . . .

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest queenme2

Today was a beautiful day outside when we all came out of church. And we going to stop by the house to go get Nina to take her to the park with us. But the park was jammed packed with families and my husband said we probably shouldnt take her bc of the many kids we shouldnt take any chances. If she bit darren who she has been with all these years she could do it even quicker if a child moves in a way she doesnt like near her. I was so sad watching all the other ppl walk their dogs around and having to keep her at home. If I hadnt seen Nina actually bite Darren I wouldnt have believed it, to be honest I would have thought my son must have done something weird around her and that she was justified.

Edited by queenme2

Guest Clawsandpaws

Give your adoption group a nice write up with details about what you consider to be her issues, and what you consider to be her positives. Please don't attempt to rehome her yourself. Perhaps you could also make a nice donation to the group to ease the financial burden of adopting out a senior dog, or if it is at all possible, offer to foster her for your group until they find her a new home.

Yes, call your group, but also find time (right away) to take her to the vet and make sure she's ok. She could be hurting, and I know you want to be sure of what's going on before you make a decision. If you can manage to take her for a walk or ride with no kids, I bet she'd like love it. I'm sorry.

Definitely a vet check first. Then if you need to re-home her, contact your original adoption group. If your group no longer exists, or you are unable to contact them for any reason, post your location here. There are numerous people here affiliated with groups who can connect you with someone who will have your pup's best interest in mind when they re-home her. It is important that the group find the right home, especially if she continues to have issues that need to be dealt with.

There is no harm or shame in returning her if that's what has to be done. The safety of your family, and your greyhound may depend on it. As much as we all hate to think about having to return one of our hounds, it may ultimately be a lifesaving decision for your hound.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Agree with the vet check - maybe she has some kind of pain/arthritis issue that flared up coincidentally with the baby's arrival. At 10 I would suspect a health issue if I saw any kind of behaviour change like that.

Vet check first, to rule out a medical cause with an easy fix for you.

But sometimes a dog just can't handle all the changes that happen in a household when a new baby comes - there's a lot more noise, a lot more hustle and bustle, they don't get as much attention. They may act out. They may feel anxious, particularly if they tend that way anyway. This can lead to being much more snarky and snappy with ordinary household events. Anxiety can also lead to potty accidents. And yelling at her and making her sit in a corner won't help with any of these problems.

If you have the time and patience, you can probably work through this with the help of an accredited behaviorist, though the safety of your family should be a priority. A short course of anti-anxiety medication might help. If you have or can borrow a crate or xpen this will be useful in the short term.

Please return her to an adoption group, either your original one, or another in the area. They are much better equipped to find her a home that will be appropriate for her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If she were my dog and it was clear she was stressed and unhappy, I'd probably rehome her :( as hard as it is for everyone involved.

If you do go that route, I'd probably hold off getting another dog until your kids are older. One of my coworkers ended up rehoming a dog after she had her first baby. Then she got sad, missed having a dog around, and started thinking that maybe he just wasn't the "right one." You see where this is going. She got another dog, then ending up having the same exact problem.

Given the history here, I think you should return her to your adoption group asap. I would not offer to foster the dog until placement given the issues that she's having. I know it's a tough decision, but sometimes you need to make the tough call so your dog ends up in a happier situation.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Vet check first, to rule out a medical cause with an easy fix for you.

But sometimes a dog just can't handle all the changes that happen in a household when a new baby comes - there's a lot more noise, a lot more hustle and bustle, they don't get as much attention. They may act out. They may feel anxious, particularly if they tend that way anyway. This can lead to being much more snarky and snappy with ordinary household events. Anxiety can also lead to potty accidents. And yelling at her and making her sit in a corner won't help with any of these problems.

:nod I'm not trying to persuade you to keep her, but it would perhaps be interesting for you to read this.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Your dog needs to go to the vet to check for anything medical. And if it were me with a small child the dog would go back to the adoption group. Your dog is reacting to stress (for whatever reason) and it is your job as a parent to protect your children.

silverfish,

Thanks for sharing the article.

Skip the vet. Having read your other posts, I'm fairly certain it's situational. Call the group and get her back to them ASAP before something happens that neither of you will be able to get past. Good luck - it takes a lot of courage to say openly that you're not the right home for a dog you love.

Edit to add: Not discouraging medical care; rather saying that the group can handle anything medical that may or may not be underlying

Edited by BootsyCollins
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest MnMDogs

Skip the vet. Having read your other posts, I'm fairly certain it's situational. Call the group and get her back to them ASAP before something happens that neither of you will be able to get past. Good luck - it takes a lot of courage to say openly that you're not the right home for a dog you love.

Edit to add: Not discouraging medical care; rather saying that the group can handle anything medical that may or may not be underlying

Agree with Christie 100%. It would be best to get her back to your group so she can get into an environment which is better for her. Please do this as soon as possible.

Ditto....not all dogs are meant for all homes....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest queenme2

So no help really.... im suppose to rehome her myself. The way i received Nina was that this organization BLISS that had wanted to foster Nina from the Atlanta Greyhound group in Stone Mountain GA. So they (BLISS) doesnt have space for her and will simply list her on their site and split the fee. Im not AT ALL concerned about money but Im worried about a group rehoming to the wrong ppl since they are not a greyhound place. And the Atlanta greyhound group wont take her because they didnt do the adoption but only helped Bliss get Nina and they only had her for one day. At the moment I dont know what to do.

Nina will alredy be sad and depressed over leaving as we will be but I dont think a non greyhound who gave her to us 5 years ago is well equipped to rehome her in such a delicte matter and I dont know where to go . My other option is to try this one other group SEGA in ga and I sent them an email last night and havent heard from them yet :(

The guy Carl that spoke to was surprised that I didnt even get a muzzle from them when I adopted out Nina. He seems to have regreted allowing them to handle the adoption

Edited by queenme2

Guest goofydog

If you've contacted SEGA you should be hearing from PaItty or Suzanne. AAGA isn't known for accepting bounces but I know your pup will be brought in by one of us.

I just saw where AAGA has already told you to pound sand. I'll send and email to the ladies listed above. They do have a Board meeting tonight so hopefully you will hear before then.

Where are you located. I'm on the east side, near St MTN and could pick this pup up Sat AM if SEGA agrees to bring her in.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Toni & Get Em